Home Forums Dating Friendship

SylviaB Posted 6 months ago
Friendship

Does anyone go on dating sites just to find friends. Sites say friendship and dating but they are mainly about dating. Do people ever just want a friend and not a romantic interest?

15 likes & 53 replies
    • Anthonyc 22nd June 2021 at 7:52 pm

I guess you could just say looking for friendship nothing more I’m sure you would still get a response, that said I’m very new to dating sites as I have just recently divorced after being with my wife for 34 years

• PhilB 22nd June 2021 at 10:45 pm

I think they’re pretty much all about dating really. I think if someone is looking for friends they are more likely to join clubs, a church or similar.

• Hertskev 23rd June 2021 at 8:23 am

I think there should be sites to find exactly that Sylvia.
      I am happily married, and we would both like to have our own friends it so hard to make friends when you get older.

• vaughanpauline 5th October 2021 at 4:53 pm

Silver Friends is just what it says, a rapidly growing, area on social media specifically for friendship not dating.

Friendl and supportive with membership open to over 50s from the uk only.

Zoom and real life meet ups.

Message me for an invite or find us

• Brummie Boy 5th October 2021 at 11:42 pm

Would also like friendship only, wife and I need more friends, either virtual or local, since retirement have lost contacts

• Fluffy 23rd June 2021 at 12:38 pm

i think dating sites are for dating , plenty of friendly people on here for friendship Sylvia 🙂

• Deleted User 23rd June 2021 at 7:11 pm

I think with some people it depends how soon they visit these sites after a breakup. A lot of people are lonely and just want to chat. This happened to me about 8 years ago and a few people I spoke to became frustrated as they were looking to date, not continual chats.

This site is a good forum to cover both sides although some of the comments I’ve read in the dating side suggest some frustrations.

• Blauro 23rd June 2021 at 10:48 pm

Hi SylviaB,
      It sounds to me that you are looking to make friends only and if that is the case, you have come to the right place as this is a very friendly site.
      I hope you find what you are looking for here.
      Take care 😊

• Glasgowgeezer1971 24th June 2021 at 3:42 pm

I think to be honest it’s nice to find friends that may lead to something other than friendship, I’m actually looking to make friends but if in the process I meet a companion then that would be great too unless I’m missing the point.

• Heyjude68 2nd July 2021 at 7:41 pm

I am holding out for exactly that a genuine friendship that just happens so no nerves or second guessing and then if it naturally and comfortably evolves into more happy days. I won’t hold my breath 😕

• adeliza0165 3rd July 2021 at 11:30 pm

Same here, and if it develops into something else then that’s an added bonus and would naturally indicate that youre getting on quite well from the friendship.

• Toffee196 24th June 2021 at 9:32 pm

HIi Sylv. Know where you’re coming from. I’m Kev. Be nice to get to know you. Take care.

• Jacqui 26 25th June 2021 at 6:09 pm

I was using the dating site but found most people wanted more than friendship so will not be using it . Its nice to talk to genuine people who say what they mean and have no hidden agenda .

• SylviaB 25th June 2021 at 6:26 pm

I agree, some of us are just happy to find new people with things in common just for friendship. Will chat anytime if you want

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th July 2021 at 7:39 am

Totally agree Jacqui, I have been on this forum for a few months now and have found it a wonderful way of conversing with people and even getting to know some as friends, being open, genuine and honest, with no hidden agenda is paramount, everyone, especially women deserve that respect . Have a lovely day.

• Jacqui 26 9th July 2021 at 5:14 pm

Stevie c , thank you , I have been able to talk to some very genuine people on this forum. Unfortunately some people still with their own agenda . I really have considered leaving or,
          perhaps its just me .🙂 Hope you have a nice evening .

• Jacqui 26 25th June 2021 at 7:19 pm

Thank you .

• Jacqui 26 25th June 2021 at 7:27 pm

Thank you …I’d be happy to chat with you 😊

• BernSawle 25th June 2021 at 10:16 pm

A lot of people go on sites just for friendship ,”and see how it goes” I read the last 5 words as Im scared of any form of commitment and I can duck out at any time I chose.
      It also means I want to get out of the house cos Im bored .
      Now I should say at this point that I have spent most of my life in the fashion and creative industry .where hugging and kissing as a greeting is perfectly normal .but we more than most, have been totally starved of affection . and it has been made far worse by covid . come back to me with your thoughts I think this could be interesting .
      ps In my world hugs and kisses are free , collect any time xx

• Jacqui 26 26th June 2021 at 2:10 pm

I agree with you , coving has left people feeling so isolated and starved of human contact . Not being able to visit loveones and give hugs to your grandchildren was almost unbearable. Now hopefully we are able to at least see each other , with the jabs heping us to move forward all be it at a safe distance 😄

• Jacqui 26 2nd July 2021 at 6:24 am

Hi , I think the dating sites are for dating . People want more than friendship from them . Would it be possible to set a zoom or perhaps meet somewhere ? As we all seem to want the same things and that is friendship and to be able to talk to another person who understands what they have been through ….I hate feeling alone and isolated . Any thoughts from anyone else ?

• Donaldb8842 2nd July 2021 at 8:12 am

I’d like a friend outside of my normal circle who won’t judge

• Donaldb8842 2nd July 2021 at 1:17 pm

I have certain so called friends that can be judgemental nas we all have.
      I guess I’m just looking for conversation outside my circle

• loislane 2nd July 2021 at 1:43 pm

Donald, you have come to the right place. Seems like you are someone who thinks about things and likes to look at both sides

• Donaldb8842 2nd July 2021 at 2:34 pm

I am very pregmatic and open to most discussions.
          I can be a little opinionated so accept that as a fault.
          I am very friendly so it doesn’t take long for me to converse with people where ever I am.

• loislane 2nd July 2021 at 1:46 pm

I got rid of judgemental friends, life is too short to listen to people who have narrow viewpoints

• Trog123 2nd July 2021 at 8:30 pm

I’m with you Sylvia, there should be, it’s good to have a variety of friends and not feel pressured that it should be anything more. It should be titled dating and/ or friendship

• SylviaB 4th July 2021 at 3:36 pm

Yes I agree I agree not everyone wants romance

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 5th July 2021 at 7:34 am

I am totally with you! I’d love male company to go out with and chat to but just as friends. Many men expect so much especially from prospective dates…when men are looking for lady friends they use words like, ‘special lady’ ‘elegant’ ‘refined’ ‘motivated’ ( what on earth does that imply?) . What’s wrong with a woman who prefers wearing Jeans? If you dont have a refined mind or elegant soul then it’s all an ugly pretence.

• AutumnRocks 5th July 2021 at 8:25 am

absolutely Marie. And calling us girls, I can just about cope with lady but at 50+ girl is pushing it. If I’ve never been into dressing in a traditionally ‘feminine’ way, or never wear make up except on the odd occasion, or struggle to walk in heels , it doesn’t make me any less of a woman.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 5th July 2021 at 8:30 am

It makes you a confident woman, resilient and comfortable being the woman you are

• Chi 5th July 2021 at 9:30 am

It’s the classic “When Harry Met Sally” question… If you want to make new friends purely of the opposite sex (or whatever your preference is) then that would suggest you would (at least potentially) like something more? If you are after friendship only then Meetups and other groups sharing similar interests or hobbies is probably the way to go. If you go on a dating site, I would assume anyone on that is actually looking for more than friendship, even if they say friendship first then “see how it goes”. At least you both know where you might be heading.

This is a good place just to ask these types of questions. You will get lots of different views but usually very friendly and genuine. Good luck!

• adeliza0165 7th July 2021 at 4:39 am

Very true and it’s good to be able to start things with a friendship and see how you get on and what you have in common and whether or not it could develop into something else.

To me, dating sites are a car-crash! (A lot of fakes, users, players and liars).

• Chi 7th July 2021 at 12:16 pm

Perhaps I am a coward but all the stories I hear really put me off…

• adeliza0165 7th July 2021 at 9:56 pm

Yes, it’s really off-putting. It seems like the men are just after one thing, whereas the women are looking for love. (Maybe that’s where that saying comes from, – men are from Mars and women are from Venus!).
          Well I wouldmt say you’re a coward!!lol! Otherwise you’d be thinking like the rest of them and not like this😏

• Chi 8th July 2021 at 9:08 am

On the whole, you are no doubt correct – but not all men are like that. There are also plenty of women who are also just after “one thing”. That’s fine, if you are clear and honest about what you are looking for (there are few on this forum!) and both on the same page. Unfortunately, it seems that dating sites are perhaps not the most open and honest places to be searching in… 😔

• adeliza0165 8th July 2021 at 5:39 pm

Yes – I guess they could be after one thing aswell or the shallow type who are just after financial gain!
          It’s really difficult to know what people are really thinking about you. They will tell you what you want to hear and avoid telling you what you won’t want to hear – the ugly truth!
          You have to read between the lines!

• Ray 8th July 2021 at 12:04 am

Hi Sylvia, Never been on a dating site as I’m married but have been trying for a few weeks now on here to get people to actually meet for coffee, walks, chats, site visits etc but for whatever reason, its just not happening…..Ray based in Broxbourne, Herts

• Chi 8th July 2021 at 9:11 am

Ray – you are looking at a thread within the Dating section of Restless! That might give you a clue as to what most people on this part are discussing…

Post in the other interest groups and local groups. But, I agree, it is difficult on this site to navigate and find more local like-minded people to engage with. Have you tried Meetups?

• Brighton Belle 8th July 2021 at 9:47 am

Takes awhile after divorce or relationship breadpk up to get back on track-time to sort your “bucket list” for when the times right ….

• Deleted User 30th September 2021 at 10:44 pm

I’ve looked for friends on dating sites and made a total of one very good friend.. I like you am looking for friends. I’m currently in a relationship and am very happy, but I want to find friends to chat too .

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 30th September 2021 at 11:40 pm

I know what you mean I would love to make new friends and looking for nothing serious or dating.
      But when you go in these sites everyone thinks your looking for a partner.
      Even of you put your looking for friendship it still happens xxx

• Brummie Boy 1st October 2021 at 12:03 am

Hi Sylvia, I’m Bob from West mids, I’m happy to chat as friends, and don’t want more than that, just want to converse with like minded people, don’t mind if male or fem, just like to chat😊

• Stuart6069 5th October 2021 at 4:36 pm

I’m of the opinion that dating has to be in county region.because it’s very difficult to date which ever gender with one being in Devon and dating proposed partner in Manchester or further afield is not practical with mileage distance to be taken into consideration.

• loislane 5th October 2021 at 4:38 pm

Both would be good

• EriknJudy 7th October 2021 at 10:24 pm

That’s a great idea Sylvia. There should be specific sites for finding friends with no ulterior motive. I’d love a walking buddy that’s fun and adventurous and better at navigation than I am!! It doesn’t have to be male either…so yes, bring on the find a friend site!

Add