Home Forums Music For people who like a bit of Brit power pop &...

John D Hastings Posted 6 months ago
For people who like a bit of Brit power pop & 60’s nostalgia, my new song “This Is The Way”! Comments welcome as always!

Written & released 42 years ago, I decided to re-record this song. The late 70’s mod revival and film Quadrophenia (1979) led to the single’s release in Nov 79 with my band The Stilettos. Licensing it from Sony who now own the original sound recording rights wasn’t feasible. And I’m so glad with how it turned out. “This Is The Way” was the single’s A-side & I’m releasing a newly recorded B-side “Who Can It Be?” on Friday 26 Nov.

I wrote this as a flippant nod to the 60’s: “Whiskey a Go Go” was a Manchester club of the same name back then (based on the one in Hollywood). Go Go dancers grooving to great music. Superman aka Clark Kent flying around on the big screen, the dream of winning the Football Pools!

This is my ode to Lambretta scooters, parkas & smart suits. Us working class Mods spent our wages on made to measure suits, music and clubbing. Anything to escape your daily life. The sharper you looked, the better your chances of dancing with a girl down the club!

I expect this will resonate with many in the Restless community!

Were you a Mod or rocker, what are your memories of this great era?

4 likes & 10 replies
    • Dead Poet 22nd November 2021 at 9:24 am

Hey John good morning. I like this song, from the opening I visualised a tribe of mods on scooters cruising along the sea front somewhere down on the south coast. It also made me smile thinking of some DJ like David Jacobs saying it’s got a good beat with a catchy tune lmao. Well done buddy it’s a great song. I well remember the days of getting suits made to measure, every high street tailor did it & you could pay for it weekly! Young people were so well dressed, not a saggy arsed track suit in sight. Can you imagine the price of a made to measure suit now. Good times, carefree times, we were blessed with rock n roll in our veins! Love & light.

• John D Hastings 22nd November 2021 at 12:40 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! My friend was a tailor, there was no real mass production of fashion clothes in those days. David Coverdale (lead singer Deep Purple, Whitesnake) worked in a man’s boutique called “Gentry” in Redcar. I remember him from when I used to go in, before his fame & fortune! We were all “dedicated followers of fashion “then weren’t we?!

• goldfish63 23rd November 2021 at 6:31 pm

Nice 🙂

• Dead Poet 26th November 2021 at 6:55 am

Question, who would you say were the kings of Mods. I always think of Steve Marriott & Ronnie Lane as fashion leaders at the time. And have you seen the movie, The Pebble & the Boy?

• John D Hastings 26th November 2021 at 10:08 pm

I haven’t seen Pebble & the Boy, will check it out. Yes I agree with Steve Marriott. Also Rod Stewart, known affectionately as “Rod the Mod”! I suppose more recently Paul “The Modfather” Weller.

• Chi 28th November 2021 at 12:53 pm

Good stuff!

• goldfish63 11th December 2021 at 12:51 pm

The Chords 🙂

Add