Home Forums General Fireworks-people with pets loathe them would be gr...

Linpap Posted 3 months ago
Fireworks-people with pets loathe them would be great if they were silent but confess I love a good display

do you have any particular memories of fireworks/bonfires? I remember a few years ago sailing into Portsmouth harbour on 5 November after living abroad we had forgotten all about Guy Fawkes so were surprised to be greeted by most fantastic firework display…and when I lived in Alicante Spain the town had midsummer fireworks built effigies out of cardboard and set fire to them using lines of dynamite (health and safety?!) in middle of various squares surrounded by buildings firemen would hose the buildings first before the burning started then when all sort of under control they would turn their hoses on the crowds who were all quite happy to be cooled down! Following week there were midnight firework displays out to sea looked stunning but didn’t disturb anyone whole families and amorous couples would flock to beach to watch and judge which was best display of course it was very warm not like bonfire night here in U.K. where one side is toasty and your back is freezing!

Alicante hogueras typical effigy before and after burning on 24 June (San Juan) every year well worth a visit

8 likes & 9 replies
    • TmonT 5th November 2021 at 8:33 pm

They are silent in Italy I’m having a horrendous night 😥 these 2 are do stressed 😥 should only be allowed at organised events not just for animals but for all the reasons you have said

• Optimistic 5th November 2021 at 10:29 pm

I am fortunate that my dog loves fireworks and watches them through the window.
        I know a lot of animals do not like them and I agree if they were silent they would be spectacular

• Blackcat2 5th November 2021 at 8:54 pm

My wee cat is currently sat in the bedroom cupboard with the radio on! I hate fireworks and feel they shouldn’t be sold to the public. One big display for the community is enough!

• Forestbather 6th November 2021 at 1:01 pm

Silent fireworks are available. The “bang” or “whizz” bit is an additional ingredient. Noisy fireworks are only used by people who don’t give a shit about animals or humans with war/terrorism trauma or any kind of PTSD.

• Vervain 6th November 2021 at 9:27 pm

Last night was very loud in my street also the street below. Some of the fireworks were like those l have seen at displays. I personally have never liked loud fireworks l remember going to a bonfire at my aunt’s and refusing to come out till all the loud ones were finished. They were mostly bangers l hated them. People act like kids will be damage for life if they don’t have fireworks. My. Father decided fireworks were a waste of money and refused to buy any. No good to throw tantrums or cry. Can’t say l missed them or that l felt deprived. Some can be very pretty but they are way too loud

• Dead Poet 8th November 2021 at 5:30 pm

I actually can’t believe they still sell fireworks to the public & not just to professional pyrotechnic organiser’s, we live in an age of Terrorists & how easy would it be to buy loads of them & use them for subversive & life threatening activities.

• 1Christy 6th November 2021 at 9:32 pm

Should be here in London this last week going off every night until small hours

• Englishman 8th November 2021 at 6:34 pm

Totally hate them. Noisy , showoffy things. The non- human equivalent of extroverts.

Add