Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Finally, finished the soldiers plus the base to go...

• Finally, finished the soldiers plus the base to go on it, this is a patrol going from the beaches of Normandy. Showing damaged building and the word Libatate in graffiti

Attachments:
    Posted by Parageiss
    • Reply by Mad Ralph

I’m curious about this. Do you buy the model soldiers and paint them then make the base?

• Reply by Parageiss

Hi the soldiers come in 5 parts, head arms, upper body and legs when fixed together completes the body, then paint. Also comes are individually parts, tin hats, each part of the webbing, back packs baynets, weapons ect, which are painted and fixed to the bodies. I then decide how to site the finished soldiers. The base is built from scratch from what I have, this base is based on stories my sadly deceased neighbour Stan and his war time exploits, this base is post D Day and 4 Sappers on patrol through a. French village.

• Reply by Mad Ralph

I love it mate I really do. 😎
          Your very talented, it must be very time consuming.
          When I left school one of the first interviews I went to was for a job working as a model maker. It was an old man who had a studio in his garden and he wanted to pass on the skills he’d learned over his lifetime. His specialty was making models of buildings and his photographic portfolio was extensive. The models he had made were all buildings from my local area so as soon as I saw them I knew where they were. My favourite was the town hall but the one he was working on at the time was a bank on the local high street. I instantly recognised it as it was the very company that I banked with at the time.
          Sadly I didn’t get the job and I ended up going into engineering but I really do regret not making a better impression on that old man. I would have never been rich but I definitely would have enjoyed going to work.

• Reply by Parageiss

There is a place in the next town over to mine called ‘the pend’ and you access a back street through an alleyway (a Pend) from the main street and its a picturesque area, I am in the middle of planning to build it so done the photos just have to get the sizing done now. Its my winter project. The skills like that old mans is being lost to the 3d printers and laser cut parts.

• Reply by Staying Alive

Yes beautiful indeed and each fishing peace has a story to tell if it’s remarkable so much talent keep up the good work ✅

• Reply by Parageiss

Thank you 😊

• Reply by OLDMAN351

WOW, this looks great.Need to decide what to do with my modeling next,choices of,complete lifeboat build from hull/plans,refurbishment of one,modification of one or 3/4 build that needs doing.

• Reply by Parageiss

I would do the lifeboat, I think it’s more fulfilling when it’s something as heroic as lifeboat and crew. By family going back generations we’re trawlermen and without the lifeboat crew many would have been lost. My next is a crashed Spitfire on the 18th hole of a golf course loosely based on this following story https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/princes-golf-club-famous-for-spitfire-landing/

• Reply by OLDMAN351

Already got a “fleet” of lifeboats up & running,think I”ll make up my mind when the time comes,Joy,my Wife,& I must get out collecting for the RNLI again when the shops will let us back in,we”re the only two left from the,now defunct Wrexham fund raisers branch.

• Reply by Parageiss

I wish you the best of luck I used to do the box collections for the Perthshire air ambulance and it was difficult when there were no restrictions

• Reply by OLDMAN351

Only going to get harder as credit cards take over I think,not really interested in going down that road although card readers are available,too much risk of people saying you”re taking their personal details & fraud.

• Reply by Mad Ralph

Did you take the photographs of your models yourself Parageiss?

• Reply by Parageiss

Yes I do, I think it’s part of the fun 😁

• Reply by Mad Ralph

I like the way the photos go slightly out of focus the further away the subject is, it gives the picture depth and realism 👏👏👏

• Reply by Parageiss

Thanks Ralph, if you look at the first one the soldier who is in focus looks like he has a smile on his face, I am trying to show that humour and in some cases very black humour has been the backbone of British forces and has got many through some very dark moments whether in the trenches of WWI in the mud, blood, death, rats and in some cases starvation. During WWII the same jokes about death, about stray bullets, Bull beef, without it fear would take over and the we cannot have frightened men, that’s just not British. I know guys and gals served in Iraq and Afghanistan, that humour is not for civilians. This is a good intro to trench humour http://www.centenaryww1orange.com.au/uncategorized/the-role-of-humour-during-world-war-one/

The last image I was trying to show sunlight forcing its way through the thick smoke of battle, from burning buildings to say the least. Took all of them with white card as background and one of my retired studio lights, then set my camera filter to shot as if using fluorescent tube, giving the yellow effect. 📸😊

• Reply by Staying Alive

What do you do with these models when finished. Is there some where you could show your work to the public. You would find out how from your local Community and council.

• Reply by Parageiss

That is what my partner has asked me lol. I gave the one I did with the WWII German desert reccon to my step father when I went to visit him, he is WWII daft. But I don’t know what I will do with them yet

• Reply by Staying Alive

See if there are any Armed forces in your area that could help you with your models to display I know there are no more Royal British Legion offices left but there may be some help the heroes or the RAF. Either way there should be some way that you could put your work up for public display I will try and help you in anyway that I can if you would let me know.

Add