Home Forums General Favourite comfort smells?!

Marica Posted 8 months ago
Favourite comfort smells?!

What would yours be, or add a suggestion (polite only !)

6 likes & 208 replies
    • Carol.L 26th March 2021 at 8:42 pm

If the criteria is comfort smells then it has to be baking bread and apple pie Marica.

• Shirlann 26th March 2021 at 9:25 pm

Freshly cut grass and oily overalls reminds me of my dad🙂

• Toni Samantha 26th March 2021 at 9:40 pm

Oh so hard, but has to be the campfire for me, had so many nights sitting round it toasting marshmallows with the family during the first lockdown.

• Marica 26th March 2021 at 10:58 pm

A unique & happy memory

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:03 am

Its so long since I sat around a campfire Toni Samantha I wasn’t sure whether I like the smell or not! I must have been a teenager since I last did it!

• Toni Samantha 27th March 2021 at 12:47 pm

We have a log burner in the garden, very much like a camp fire, still makes everything clothes, hair smell of burning, but we love it talking and playing games into ths night, with a nice glass of red 😊

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:39 pm

That sounds so sociable. I don’t think I could be bothered on my own though but do like the idea!

• dannyboy 26th March 2021 at 10:17 pm

Line dried sheets. I’m relatively new to the trials and tribulation of Laundry. Also the visual aspect of white bedding blowing on the line.

Home made bread. We all need an indulgence

• Deleted User 26th March 2021 at 10:28 pm

The smell of wood or burning wood 😊

• Marica 26th March 2021 at 10:59 pm

Yes I like that too and oddly enough, the smell of fresh tarmac but not too much of it

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 12:14 am

Oh yes I forgot about the smell of fresh tarmac, such a fresh clean smell. I like the smell of petrol and sulphur too

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:05 am

Oh now, I’m not with you on the petrol or sulphur . or the tarmac. Actually its a long time since I smelt tarmac!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 10:37 am

It’s funny you should say that Gill, it wasn’t until i wrote my last comment to Marica, that i realised….. i can’t remember the last time i smelt tarmac.
          But saying that with all the potholes in this country, i’m assuming tarmac isn’t used anymore 🤣

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:50 am

Well yes, or the quantity they use at any one point in time is so small not to be noticed. Its not often any major resurfacing goes on!

However in Whitstable we have an old tarmac factory down by the (small) harbour. Its a bit of an eyesore really, but it has been there since the end of the 19th century when the railway line used to run into the harbour too and be used for transportation. You can still smell it sometimes when walking along the sea front.

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 11:08 am

i bet that’s absolutely divine on a lovely breezy day?
          All we have in the nearest town of Clitheroe is an old cement factory that is still used, but there is no smell.
          I love the smell of the sea too, oh how i miss that smell (along with the sound of the waves 🤗)

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 1:58 pm

Oh yes, the smell of the sea front is something really special

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:14 pm

Well Wendles, it seems I am lucky to have sea, waves and a tarmac place on my door step that I can go and sniff as and when I choose, rain or shine!!!! lol

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 3:32 pm

You’re such a sniffer😀

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 3:36 pm

I was of course always told to ‘stop sniffing’ as a child!! 😂😂😂

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 3:44 pm

You obviously haven’t improved !! stick a peg on you’re nose woman,

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 5:16 pm

Annie Beth 😤🤧😵🤪😁

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 5:57 pm

Thanks so much for you’re very charming reply 😁now I know you’re extremely rude as well😁 have you ever tried good etiquette lessons, then you could become as polite and perfect as myself, but perhaps you shouldn’t or you maybe disappointed 😄😄😄😄

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 6:13 pm

😂
          Mum was heavily into etiquette too – I woz brought up proper like! Hence the sniffing rule, The don’t talk with mouthful. Shut mouth when eat. Elbows off the table. Use a handkerchief – blow your nose. Please. Thank you. Take soup from the far side of the bowl. Don’t slouch. Spoon/fork to mouth not mouth to bowl. The list goes on and on and on!

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 6:41 pm

Oh dear !! I’m so sorry you were brought up in a torture chamber😄 at least you have impeccable manners now unless you have slithered now that well know slope which obviously gives one that very appauling attitude where one was in danger of descending into a first class slowness, so my condolences to you if you have, in which case PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER WOMAN 😖😖😖😖

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 6:59 pm

😂🤣

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 6:43 pm

Sorry, slowness was meant to mean slowness,I have a ropey phone

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 6:45 pm

Slobness

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 1:57 pm

Not sure about petrol but those paint cleaning products like white spirit have a similar smell

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 2:03 pm

Ah they do, nail polish or acetone is another that i like. Even my daughters boyfriend loves the smell of nail polish.

Were sounding like we have a bad addiction here Marica 🤪

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:15 pm

I think we could be hitting dangerous ground with glue sniffing soon Marica!

• Andy Paddles 28th March 2021 at 11:06 am

Gill, Marica and Wendles – I cannot think of three people less likely to be found lurking in a bus stop, huffing evostick from a crisp bag! 🤔

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 11:26 am

Oh you seem to know me so well …. but Andy, you seem to know the form 🤔?!?

• Andy Paddles 28th March 2021 at 11:33 am

Done some work with EBD kids in the past, also did a project on drug taking within youth culture as part of my teaching qualification.

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 11:38 am

Had to google EBD …What amazing work you do/ have done !! I had no idea that a crisp packet was really used – sheltered life!

• Andy Paddles 28th March 2021 at 11:56 am

A crisp packet is really used for keeping crisps in!

Like lots of things it has further uses!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:05 am

You been sniffing the roads again Marica!!!!!!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 1:55 pm

😀 😀 It is when I am bending down taking whiffs of the tarmac in that the workmen move me on !!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 2:03 pm

🤣

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:17 pm

.. it could be an arrestable offence Marica … makes a change for the workman to move you on and not be wolf whistling – especially given that you are bending down!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 4:23 pm

I wanted to say that Gill but didn’t know how to word it without sounding crass 🙃

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 4:27 pm

😁 … Wendles

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 10:42 am

Great smells Wendles – the scent of newly planed timber is fantastic!

For my two I’d say wood smoke and baked bread!

But what about petrol, proper shoe polish and dare I suggest frying onions!

Oh and train stations on a cold day or the sea side on a hot one!

Sensory over load!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 10:55 am

Ah yes shoe polish, another one that i forgot about due to it no longer being used as widely.
          Oh my word, yes fried onions! Mmmmm
          Now i’ve just remembered, the smell of doughnuts too!

Definately sensory over load.

I think every single one of us must be reminiscing one way or another right now 😊
          Burning paraffin brings back memories of caravanning, along with the smell of bacon

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 11:04 am

Cheating I know but if we’re going for sensory over load then we may as well go for it big time…

In your caravan – what about the hiss and pop sound made by a gas mantle!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 2:03 pm

That’s a new one for me Andy , I don’t do caravans 🙂

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 2:25 pm

Marica – I suspected not! 😇😉

But don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:54 pm

Have you ever ‘done’ a caravan Marica?

I have years and years ago. Its great. Helps to be tidy in small spaces which I am. I do fancy hiring a campervan maybe next year! Its on my list!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 2:05 pm

Oh my word yes! and again that lovely smell.
          I can now smell the boiling water in the whistling kettle 😅

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 2:29 pm

The sound of a whistling kettle – very evocative!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:23 pm

Oh yes … Grandparents for sure, but also at home – good one

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:21 pm

What is a gas mantle? I feel a google coming on!

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 3:36 pm

It’s a little piece of incandescent material, globe shaped that goes over a gas jet to create light!

Kind of like a gas bulb!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 4:21 pm

I did google it .. never knew it was called a mantle (the only mantle I know is over a fire place) – didn’t actually know a thing existed. Clearly I have missed out on so much in life!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 4:27 pm

Now i feel silly, when you said gas mantle i thought you meant the stove top where they used to boil the kettle, oops!
          i’ve just had to Google too 🙄

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 8:37 pm

No need Wendles, I just have the kind of brain in which this type of stuff sticks, however, is it Tuesday? 🥴

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 10:43 pm

Thank you for understanding Andy 🙈 😂

• Andy Paddles 28th March 2021 at 11:08 am

No problem Wendles! 😉

• Josie The Black Country Wench 27th March 2021 at 11:38 pm

Ah Andy, yes I remember those. And also in more recent years at the museum in the houses and shops

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:21 pm

We paraffin heaters at home when I was growing up .. I can smell it now – and we sold paraffin in our little hardware store my parents ran I seem to remember! We gave up the shop when I was four and had central heating in our new home! That has brought back a few memories!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:19 pm

Newly planed timber! Gosh that would definitely remind me of my grandad .. but I can’t even go near the wood section at B&Q as my eyes start itching!

Proper shoe polish (which I still use)!!

Train Stations Andy? Are you or have you been known to ‘spot’ on a cold day then over the years?

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 3:33 pm

Gill in answer to your points :

1. Get some antihistamines!

2. Good on you! Did you know you can set fire to a tin of shoe polish and end up with liquid wax, put the lid back on and the flame dies and it sets again! Better application apparently.

3. I am a geek yes, a weirdo no!
          🙄

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 4:24 pm

Re (2) that is actually useful to know. I have checked tins when the polish gets too hard .. now I know I should have set light to it and let it melt a bit, and it would have been perfect! I rarely wear proper shoes these days, mainly trainers, but my black boots will welcome the polish next winter!

I have been known to collect number for a friend .. but only very briefly!

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 8:54 pm

Well you are so very kind to collect them for a “friend” Gill! 😉

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 9:13 pm

Yup Andy and aircraft numbers! Who knew I could be so entertained by it? It passed the time of day. I think there may be a geek in me .. oh no you said weirdo!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 7:11 pm

I think if I was lost in a forest or on a mountain , Andy, I would feel a lot better if you were there with your knowledge!

• Andy Paddles 27th March 2021 at 8:35 pm

If I was lost in a city Marica I’d want your number on speed dial!

We’ve all got our skill set! 😉

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 26th March 2021 at 10:29 pm

Right before it rains and fresh bread 🥖 🥰

• LeighS 26th March 2021 at 10:35 pm

Only two, oh well, homemade bread and brownies baking are my choices 🙂

• Marica 26th March 2021 at 10:50 pm

You’d get a queue outside your kitchen if they were cooking, Leigh!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:06 am

I like the smell but I daren’t home bake as I’d eat it as well. I haven’t baked bread since I was a teenager, and I haven’t baked a cake in 35 years! It better than I don’t!

• Shirlann 27th March 2021 at 10:32 am

Same never got the hand of baking ☹️

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:47 am

I feel almost like I am confessing with head hung low when I say how long it is since I baked a cake. Now, I wonder why I should feel like that! Old gender stereotypes coming into play? I must knock that on the head straight away!!! I’m not having any of that in this day and age!

• Carol.L 27th March 2021 at 12:58 pm

I love cooking but fail miserably as a baker! all that weighing and measuring, too scientific for me,I go more by instict, bit of this, pinch of that!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:24 pm

Yes I’m an instinctive cook – sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. However when I make something I really like I can’t repeat it!!!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 2:06 pm

I cook wheat free ones if I ever bother but honestly, Gill and Carol, be like me and bucket cook . I never weigh ingredients , or even know what is going in the a cake initially , I probably got my skill of bucket cooking from that Chef on Carry On Cruising where he made the International cake for Sid James! Most of my cakes seem to taste ok anyway

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:25 pm

I’m not sure I could bucket cook cakes .. I don’t know enough about what I am doing.

• Carol.L 27th March 2021 at 4:25 pm

Do you mean using cup measures Marica rather than weighing ingredients?

• LeighS 27th March 2021 at 11:04 pm

I don’t bake any more my son does, which is probably a good thing as I tend to nibble on the ingredients like cherries and raisins for example, lol He is far more disciplined than I am 🙂

Do have a bread maker and sometimes use it. Not often but it is nice sometimes to have home made bread.

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 8:22 am

Well its handy having someone else to do a bit of baking!

• LeighS 28th March 2021 at 9:51 pm

And he does the dishes 🙂

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 9:55 pm

Oh wow.. bakes and washes up … you have brung him up well Leigh!!!

• Marica 26th March 2021 at 10:56 pm

So many people like bread but that’s understandable. It is supposed to sell houses with the smell!!

• LeighS 26th March 2021 at 11:11 pm

I read that the smell of coffee is also supposed to sell houses, never tried it though!

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:08 am

I was just going to say that Leigh. In fact one house we looked at many years ago, the husband was trying to sell the house and deliberately put the coffee on. I quite like the smell of it, but as I don’t drink it, its not at the top of my list!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 2:08 pm

Yes, a seller could come unstuck if someone hates coffee or is allergic to gluten with baked bread as the spores travel in the air

• Aqualady51 27th March 2021 at 12:07 pm

I went to a viewing once where the owner was baking cakes and brewing coffee. Have to sat it made it feel homely, but still wasn’t the right property for me, but I’ve never forgotten it 25+ years later!

• Marica 26th March 2021 at 11:00 pm

I think one of mine was the smell of my dogs fur coat and skin. She never had that horrible doggy smell, just a lovely fresh air type of smell

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 7:33 am

Fresh made Black coffee and Granary bread fresh from the oven 😊😊😊

• Jojo15 27th March 2021 at 7:58 am

Freshly baked bread and the smell of new books. I was this close to being banned from Waterstones, pre covid, for smelling all the books. 🤣

• Fin 27th March 2021 at 8:17 am

Fresh linen 🥰

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:10 am

Defo fresh linen – although polyester will do so long as fresh!

• Fin 27th March 2021 at 11:50 am

Nothing nicer than a clean fresh line dried bed after a lung soak in the bath

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:28 pm

Fin is that a lung soak .. that’s interesting! lol… must be using the phone to type…

I rarely have a bath – but t’is truly relaxing.

• Fin 27th March 2021 at 4:03 pm

A lung soak 😂 Love a bath although I rarely stay long tried the candles and soft music once lasted about 5 minutes

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 4:07 pm

Yes I know what you mean … who has time to spend long in the bath especially when water is going cold!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 1:51 pm

I am not keen on the fresh air smell of linen at all other than it is clean, but no idea why I don’t like it

• Fin 27th March 2021 at 4:04 pm

Isn’t it strange how we all differ on smells my daughter loves the smell of hot tar it makes me feel physically ill 🤢

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 4:18 pm

It is odd,Fin.I am currently watching a really good catch up programme about how the brain works, our choices, free will (do we have it?) etc and it’s all to do with our genes, surroundings, experiences that we don’t even realise so maybe the scent choices also come from this too

• Fin 27th March 2021 at 4:28 pm

Oh that sounds interesting love a programme that you learn something sounds right up my street What’s the name? is it on Netflix?

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 7:06 pm

I recorded it off the Eden Channel on Sky, Fin . It is called The Brain with David Eagleton. You may find it on You Tube as it is fairly old now but really worth watching

• Stuart 27th March 2021 at 9:50 am

Such a good question but soooo hard to pick two!!!!! I would say:

Freshly cut grass – it brings me right back to my childhood

Fresh bread – absolutely delicious.

Do you find smell’s can bring back memories almost more than any other sense? I love looking at old photo’s but it feels like I am observing my life from afar, however if I get a sniff of a specific smell it transports me right back to being in that exact time and place….. I can almost feel the moment again.

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:13 am

Sounds and smells – and of course any reminiscing can take me back!

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 2:13 pm

Yes, Stuart, I could not agree more. A very odd memory cropped up many years ago when my kids had a plastic toy and as I got the smell of this coming up at me, I was suddenly transported back to when I was a small child and going to the fun fair and winning a small toy or getting it from one of those machines. It was like a film clip! So very strange

• Andie 27th March 2021 at 9:55 am

Polished wood and roasted chestnuts! 🥰

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:14 am

Polished wood, that’s a good one. I don’t use any sprays now, but that would definitely take me back to the day when wood was wood!

• Deleted User 27th March 2021 at 11:13 am

Do you remember the old Pledge advert? the one where she would smell the polish and reminisce about the night before with her loved one?
          The good old days when adverts were amusing

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:31 pm

… and featured women dusting! We never gave it a thought back then – as if polishing could ever be considered an enjoyable pastime. Also was that a pre cursor to sniffing substances .. blame the advertisers .. lol

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 1:53 pm

Definitely roasted chestnuts, the London streets used to small amazing in the winter but the chemicals in the products used to polish wood concern me somewhat . I did a fill in job as a neighbours cleaner for a while when out of work and I could no longer stand the small of some of the products they gave me to use so I stopped.

• Andie 27th March 2021 at 2:58 pm

No sprays in my home!…..good natural wax for my mango wood dining table. I’ve owned health stores for 8 years….. I’m something of a ‘naturalist’ 👍

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 3:34 pm

I don’t use anything on mine – haven’t done for years. I don’t like the smells getting up my nose either ..

• Gill B 27th March 2021 at 10:01 am

homemade bread (definitely) and freshly cut grass (I think)

• Andie 27th March 2021 at 10:24 am

fish n chips wrapped in newspaper…..I used to sniff em all the way home! 😋🤣

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 1:54 pm

The smell of bacon is a strong one for me, just give me the crispy bits!

• Carol.L 27th March 2021 at 3:01 pm

Tomatoes growing on the vine, that smell takes me back to my childhood surrounded by them growing in my dad’s greenhouse where I would help him pricking out seedlings.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 27th March 2021 at 3:41 pm

Definately Baking Bread and Apple Pie, think there’s a theme there….

• Gill B 28th March 2021 at 6:38 pm

You know, I don’t even know what apple pie smells like.

I didn’t like apple pie as a child. Then I was told the story of how mum had refused to let me have ketchup on my apple pie! I suspect that is why I ‘didn’t like it’ I had told myself that if I can’t have ketchup on it, it wouldn’t be any good.

I like apple pie – I got over it – and I don’t need any red sauce on it either!

• Catejoflo 27th March 2021 at 6:18 pm

Strange combination but… strong coffee and chlorine!!

• siandeve15 27th March 2021 at 6:50 pm

Hi Marica.
      In my formative years, I trained & worked in the industry for many years as a
      Baker & Confectioner.
      In fact, I worked on Passenger Liners when I was 19 as a baker & confectioner & travelled around the world twice before I was 21.
      The simple answer for me is.
      Answer number one:
      Freshly baked bread.
      There is something very comfortable & safe with this smell of fresh-baked bread.
      Answer number two:
      Any smell of home-baked cakes & cookies is always a winner anywhere in the world.
      It’s a winner every time.
      What is your go-to best-ever smell that always does it for you & why?
      Regards Simon.

• Marica 27th March 2021 at 7:14 pm

I know from your travels, Simon, that you must have cooked and eaten some amazing things, and it must be so wonderful to look back on all you have done.

• Globetrotter15 27th March 2021 at 7:58 pm

How long have you got?
      We’ve travelled on all
      7 continents.
      I spent 41 years in catering.
      Owned two restaurants & Matra’d & general managemer of a function catering operation for 15 years.
      So yes been in & around food all my life in one way or another.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 27th March 2021 at 11:44 pm

Candy floss at the fair.
      Marker pens

• Lyn14531 28th March 2021 at 1:20 pm

Fresh cut grass and a camp fire

• annie beth 28th March 2021 at 3:27 pm

Absolutely love the smell of vanilla, I know it’s usually in some margarine, I’ve got some perfume in vanilla that I spray a bit round the lounge every day, it’s like a very comforting pick me up, most beautiful scent,

• pollardc60 28th March 2021 at 6:00 pm

Grass
      Sheets

• pollardc60 28th March 2021 at 6:01 pm

Grass
      Sheets

• debbiejay 29th March 2021 at 1:18 pm

Fresh coffee and line dried washing.

• mynijah 29th October 2021 at 8:31 am

You can try smoke odor eliminator spray; I think it will work great in your case. It really eliminates all kinds of smoking odors, like marijuana, cigar, cigarette, and even long-lasting cooking odors, not just covering them up. You only need a minimal amount of product, and I am using it daily to freshen up my room, let’s say. It works great for its price, and it’s enough for a pretty long period of time. I think this is the best way to get out of the situation. The fragrance is also delightful, and it will make your place smell clean. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FMT45YS

Add