Home Forums Arts & Culture Favourite artist(s)

BridJames Posted 2 years ago
Favourite artist(s)

Hello

I would be interested to know from other Rest less residents as to which artists they particularly like.

I like Dali, Hogarth and Escher mainly and as you can probably tell from those 3 my taste is fairly eclectic but I mainly like to see lots of activity in art. I’ll be interested to know who else likes what in the the art world.

2 likes & 5 replies
    • Deleted User 3rd October 2020 at 12:30 pm

Hi 👋 I have so many that I love – have you seen the work on Instagram or the Jealous Curator??Such amazing artwork around right now and exploiting all sorts of media – it’s all so inspiring. And too easy to consume it more than create it…😏 But I adore Sorolla, Modigliani, the Scottish Colourists – very drawn to colour, shapes and light. Also a big fan of Ardizzone. And of course I love my Dad, Eric Leslie’s bright, evocative watercolours and pen & ink illustrations. He’s a hard act to follow… I’m new here – do you do any art ?

• BridJames 3rd October 2020 at 12:56 pm

Hello Tea&Art, interesting name. I’m also new here having just joined in the last day or two. I must admit to not having joined Instagram yet but I think I will have to as, recently, I have seen links which have led to it. I have heard of Modigliani although not familiar with his style I will check it out as well as those others you mention which are new to me. Are there any of your Dad’s creations somewhere which can be viewed online anywhere? The name Leslie is familiar to me because of the man responsible for the distinctive red tiling on London Underground station facades but that was his Christian rather than surname which was Green.

I have tried to be creative using pastels but I find it a lot easier to capture images with my Samsung phone camera. I will take just about any subject and look for unexpected opportunities as well as the more mundane.

Nice to hear from you, you look happily engaged in the kitchen there.  :o)

• Millie 12th October 2020 at 8:50 am

Still my favourites since art college – Matisse, Albert Irvin, Gauguin, Rothko etc etc but so many great contemporary artists today too – we are quite saturated in a good way with wonderful original art. However so much worthless tac is sold as art in large shopping stores today and I’m afraid it isn’t! M

• Kay61 20th November 2020 at 7:25 pm

Hi Millie,

I’m glad you like Albert Irvin. I have one of his prints ‘Alpha’ and my partner begrudging put it up on the wall as he said it looked like it had been done by a four-year-old! I love it. Love Gaugin and Matisse but not keen on Rothko. Also a fan of the Pre Raphaelites, Japanese art of the Floating World, George Stubbs and many more. Bit of a mixture!

• Deleted User 16th October 2020 at 11:27 am

Huge was a huge fan of the Pre Raphaelites at art college.  Currently following a lot of Lino printing artists on Instagram. I know what I like and what leaves me cold but it’s hard to pinpoint one artist or genre.

Add