Home Forums Gardening Everything in the garden this year is slow to grow

Deleted User Posted 1 year ago
Everything in the garden this year is slow to grow

Compared to last year, everything seems slow to get going this year. My hollyhocks are usually about 4ft high and can’t find any other than the ones out the front. My hardy fuschias are half dead and have very few buds on. The only thing that seems happy is my Clematis Montana and the grass! I’m sure it was the cold spell.

1 like & 16 replies
    • Selsdon 14th May 2021 at 9:42 am

The problem where I am (apart from the overnight frosts) has been the lack of rain.
      The weeds are doing well though 🙄

• Deleted User 14th May 2021 at 10:04 am

May was warm last year. That helped

• Fluffy 14th May 2021 at 10:47 am

yep , same problem here. will have to hit the garden centre for a few new pot plants

• Deleted User 14th May 2021 at 12:27 pm

It’s been colder and drier than this time last year, so yes, we’re lagging behind a bit. A few days of warm sun would do us all a favour 🙂

• Deleted User 14th May 2021 at 12:53 pm

We are in the fifth month of the year and temperatures and rainfall are way down from where we have been the last few years

If I’m not mistaken May bank holiday was the coldest recorded since the 50’s but then science did predict the world would enter a cooling period as of 2020 and cooler periods produce less food and flowers. Warmer periods much more produce. Last year 2020 I had to keep lighting the fire in June July August September and onwards. The weather will heat up I’m sure but the etremes of hot and cold will be up and down I think until next year when we are further into the cooler period where we will be stuck for at least twenty years.

The tiny bit of CO2 we have added to the atmosphere may help us out in it not being as cold as the 50’s and 60’s were.

• Jimper 14th May 2021 at 1:16 pm

It doesn’t seem to stop the weeds from sprouting up though and my Azaleas are amazing at the moment.

• Deleted User 14th May 2021 at 1:47 pm

Not much stops the weeds!

• MaggieWhite21 16th June 2021 at 10:46 pm

I think we had all those weeks in April where the temperature at night was close to freezing it just put everything back. Then we had no rain for 3 weeks in the South, and the plants were just struggling to get going. As soon as it rained they all took off. But you’re right, everything is very late this year – let’s hope we have good weather to the end of September and we’ll recoup what we lost??

• Deleted User 17th June 2021 at 10:57 am

I agree once the rain started, everything went very green and grew massive. Pleased to report that apart from my roses its all caught up

• mariatfurness 18th June 2021 at 7:52 am

Not here in Kent. Almost all my plants and shrubs are amazing this year including Acers, roses, euphorbias, honeysuckle, azaleas, hostas and pieris. Some in pots and some in the ground. Beautiful.

• Shirlann 18th June 2021 at 10:41 am

Not here seem to be growing up the same 😁

• Mysticmo 18th June 2021 at 1:08 pm

Listening to Monty Donn last week and he said everything is about 2 weeks behind what they should be at this time.
      Hope everything catches up !

• Mysticmo 18th June 2021 at 1:36 pm

My garden today and last year at this time at least behind a couple of weeks.
      Still time to catch up but not with the weather at the moment ! 🙄

• Mysticmo 18th June 2021 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Kitty !

From a distance it does but is very tired and could do with relaying it is over 60ys old .
      I keep telling my boy’s I would like to go on holiday and come back and find someone had relaid it, but it falls on deaf ears !!

Add