Home Forums Care & Caring evening everyone

Joypm Posted 4 months ago
evening everyone

I wondered if there was anyone else on the site caring for a family member with Alzheimer’s/dementia and finding it hard to connect with others or to receive any practical help.

2 likes & 5 replies
    • Deleted User 26th February 2022 at 12:53 pm

You bet. I am so weary and disheartened – but as he is also disabled I just have to keep going, taking each day as best I can. I am in a long queue for telephone therapy. Other than that i cannot get anyone to house clean, or other help (I am also disabled) and as I am hopeless at being my own advocate at the doctors I end up feeling I have lost out on any help to deal with my various physical problems
      Now and again I try to have a conversation with hub, but it is always a disaster. My only social interaction is on FB where I campaign and network on environmental issues and have ‘met’ some really lovely folk – but it is not the same as a cheery chat. Then hub complains that I am always miserable.
      I am afraid that if you were looking for some advice I am not the one to provide it – sorry

• Linde 26th February 2022 at 1:26 pm

Hi, Artemis, that sounds soooo familiar, though it ought not be the norm! No help, unhelpful comments from so called experts—- I am not dealing with Dementia, but rather anxiety issues stemming back 30 years now, never resolved or treated, after a horrible attack on my son, by a gang of 7.
        We have now been waiting 15 months for some financial assistance with agency carers. No call, no,e- mail, no correspondence of any kind. I am on the verge of giving up and applying to do part time work fromHome at the ripe old age of 81!
        I admire you for still doing a little bit of what you would like to do, e.g. campaining for environmental issues. I shall be thinking of you in your endeavour to manage everything and everyone, but know that others are out there using similar survival strategies, to just get through the day. My thoughts are with you. Linde

• Joypm 26th February 2022 at 7:24 pm

Hi Armetis. No, not looking for advice, just connecting with people in a similar position. I’m afraid there is no help out there for anyone in need at the moment. All agencies are strapped for cash and the NHS is in crisis. Quite scary. My main escape is painting and I do sometimes write flash fiction or poetry.

• Joypm 27th February 2022 at 6:46 pm

I’m no expert but I don’t think there is much you can do about this.

• Pops McCarthy 6th March 2022 at 11:05 am

Hi Artemis
      I was a carer for my mum who had dementia. I realised very quickly that once a patient has a family carer or a friend carer, the care services stop caring. I actually said this to social service worker. Look on her face confirmed it.
      This and the poor treatment of dementia/Alzheimer’s patients is why I started podcasting about it. Another voice against the system which basically stinks.
      I wish you well.
      Peace
      Pops

Add