Home Forums Jobs & Careers Employment question

Add comment

• Employment question

I am 60 and am really unhappy in my current job. Am i too old to apply for other jobs and just stay where i am?

Posted by kimbo5988
Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Reply by iankavanagh

Just a tip – you are not a 60 year old – you are a person with X years of experience. This is the asset that prospective employees value. You then need to decide what you want to get out of a new job. Write down what you would be looking for in a new role – e.g. will it be people facing or office based, will it be full time, part time, permanent or temporary, what level of responsibility and autonomy would you have, where would it be (i.e. within x miles), what would the salary be, and what values would the organisation have (commercial, social, environmental etc). You might want to include some issues of your own. Once you have written these down you will have a much clearer view on what types of roles might fit your requirements and the basis for your search. I hope this is helpful. Either way good luck with your quest! Ian

• Reply by julie_lyon

Considering that most people are working well on into their 70s these days, mostly for financial reasons, it certainly isn’t too late to change job.  I retired from teaching last year (I’ll be 60 next month) and got really bored.  I got a job at my local hospital as an admin clerk, mainly working in A&E and I love it.  It’s something I did way back in the 80s and my experience and age went in my favour.  You’ll never know if you don’t give it a good go!

• Reply by angeles2466

Age is but a number .

I might suggest that you make a list of some of the things which you normally enjoy doing,  as a hobby’ and see how you might turn this into a profession ; alternatively,  seek ways to capitalise on the level of skills which you’ve accumulated over the years.

May I ask what is your current vocation?

Angeles

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by angeles2466.
Viewing 2 reply threads