Home Forums Learning Duolingo

PattyG Posted 5 months ago
Duolingo

Hello all. Does anyone subscribe to the Duolingo app. I have been using it for a few months to learn Spanish but it’s so annoying waiting for the adds and also running out of hearts ♥️ when I make too many mistakes (often!)
Is it worth spending the extra for 12 months? I think I would if it were cheaper!
Thoughts?

3 likes & 21 replies
    • Suziku 10th October 2021 at 9:40 am

I paid a 12 month subscription on Duolingo for Turkish as it opened up more, so I’d say it’s worth it, particularly if you stick with it and use it daily.

• PattyG 10th October 2021 at 11:28 pm

Thank you. I’ll have a look.

• Sand 14th October 2021 at 7:45 pm

I do french but I do not pay, I would not bother if I had to. There are other language apps.

• PattyG 14th October 2021 at 10:37 pm

Agreed. There are many good apps out there including Duo but I’ve always found that when you pay you get extra learning tools for your money. Besides which I’m very impatient and a 30 second add feels like 30 seconds of my time wasted. 😂

• Maria Zed 14th October 2021 at 9:44 pm

We were planning to travel to South America in 2020 before covid hit the world. I chanced upon Duolingo then. So I signed up for the free app. I’ve done 630 consecutive days since then. It has been a part of my daily routine now. It’s quite fun for me. Que divertido!

I’m from Australia and our international borders are still closed. When it opens and when we are ready to travel again, I feel confident yo puedo hablar Español. Estoy listo para Sud America!

Good luck. Hope you keep going.

• PattyG 14th October 2021 at 10:32 pm

You’re almost 2 years down the Duo line!! Wow. That’s some going so well done you 👏. I would be interested to know if you’ve completed the whole thing and if you use anything else to help with Spanish pronunciation and listening. I find it quite daunting listening and trying to decipher what’s been said when I listen to the Duo podcasts. How about you?

• Bakingbree 14th October 2021 at 11:04 pm

I’ve been learning German using the free version of Duolingo now for over 400 days. I’ve managed ok with the ads and losing hearts. My husband is paying for his Italian course. He swapped to the free version but didn’t like the ads and quickly returned to the paid version. I suppose it’s what suits you best.

• Linde 15th October 2021 at 8:11 am

Dear Patty, glad to hear you are learning Spanish. I, like you, need to hear the speech and try and converse in it rather than just learn the written words. I am on Dutch at the moment, with babbel, most enjoyable and well structured, making good progress but want to finish the Beginners level before going back to Spanish,
      .when I have “returned” to Spanish, would you be interested to talk over the phone or FaceTime ( I don’t have Skype at present).? I would love to try it out, to see how much we know already! Let me know what you think! All the best, Linde

• AnnieMG 15th October 2021 at 10:24 am

Patty have you tried using the web version rather than the app? There are no hearts or limits then. Also you can access the Tips which you can’t in the app and they are vital. It’s free. I am studying Welsh, I also attend online classes, I think you need a combination if you want to actually speak the language. But I find Duolingo excellent. My ‘mature’ brain needs that repetition for new stuff to sink in!

• PattyG 15th October 2021 at 11:23 am

Hi Annie. I have used the web version and yes it has more features which are great. I wasn’t aware that there were no hearts or limits tho so thanks for that. I tend to use the app because it’s easier just to quickly pick it up and do a lesson rather than have to be at home and drag the laptop out.
        My mature brain must be the same as yours! 😂

• Moriarty 15th October 2021 at 10:37 am

I tried it for quite a while. One day, the app lost all my progress, so I gave up on it.

• PattyG 15th October 2021 at 11:28 am

That happened to me with Ella verbs. I kept telling myself it didn’t matter and that I wasn’t a ‘gamer’ I was a student. But it did matter in my head and I only use that app for reference every now and then. I was so disappointed ☹️.
        On the other hand it made more time for Duolingo and in the end this has worked out better.

• Janey_Petty 21st October 2021 at 11:03 am

I started learn Welsh with Duolingo but I got distracted by online quizzes. Now I have retired I shall go back to Duolingo. I didn’t want to pay either and especially not now.

• PattyG 21st October 2021 at 7:58 pm

Hi Janey. It’s good that you’re going back to Duo and I think you’re right not to pay for the app when you first start off. Maybe paying will be an option when you’re doing harder exercises and start having to wait a few hours to restart after you have lost your 5 hearts. It’s very frustrating and hinders learning somewhat. But, enjoy your learning as it’s a good thing to do

• Lizzynow 22nd October 2021 at 2:27 am

I paid a year’s subscription and it’s much better.

• PattyG 22nd October 2021 at 6:00 am

Far better isn’t it. And now you’re up half the night using it as it’s addictive 😂

Add