Home Forums Health DREAMS, GOOD AND BAD ARE GOOD FOR YOU, WHAT DO YOU...

WEST MIDLANDER Posted 3 months ago
DREAMS, GOOD AND BAD ARE GOOD FOR YOU, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

When I studied psychology, we absorbed from our lecturer that all dreams were good for us, in that it proved we were experiencing deep sleep. Apparently we were told that the Hippocampus (part of our brain) was responsible for storing our day to day memories. Something like the RAM component in our PC or Laptop. Without 8 hours sleep, the hippocampus becomes equivalent to ‘waterlogged’, which interferers with making new memories. Has anyone suffered from sleep deprivation and how has that affected you?
As a nurse, I used to work lots of night duty, but while I had to be awake, I noticed many of my patients had difficulty sleeping. I used to tell them to sit on the very edge of the bed, then they would soon drop off. Bad joke eh?

3 likes & 15 replies
    • LucasH 22nd October 2021 at 7:42 am

I had loads of dreams last night, some very weird.
      I think they were good for me.

• Gerard371 22nd October 2021 at 8:05 am

If I wake up, and remember a dream, which soons fades, I always feel like I’ve had a good sleep.

• Moriarty 22nd October 2021 at 10:23 am

I never seem to have good dreams these days, if anything good is about to happen, I wake up! What’s all that about?
      I also have dreams in which I’m in trouble with former bosses, or I’m searching for something…

• beetlejuice 22nd October 2021 at 12:55 pm

who has the horrid dream where you are struggling to breathe and trying really hard to wake yourself up so you dont die?

• WEST MIDLANDER 22nd October 2021 at 11:41 pm

Hi Beetlejuice, Some experts say its a form of sleep paralysis, where the brain wakes up from deep sleep and there is a delay, in which your brain reactivates your normal awake rhythm’s (all muscles including normal breathing rate) is re established, which alters from deep sleep through the different phases of sleep until awake rhythm. I was taught it could also be related to sleep deprivation. Although the time may seem very long, that you are aware of this phenonium, but only lasts a few seconds. I have experienced this myself and its extremely frightening. But I am far from an expert, its always easy to say don’t worry, but it can be terrifying.

• VFP 22nd October 2021 at 1:42 pm

Sometimes when I am in bed reading, and I start feeling drowsy, the story I am reading turns into a dream, unconnected to the book’s plot. When I wake up a little later, I realise I haven’t been reading at all! Not good or bad, just annoying.

• WEST MIDLANDER 22nd October 2021 at 11:46 pm

Hi VFP, Wow….just think if you could remember the alternative plots to these dreams, it might be time to write them up and we could all queue up and watch your blockbuster at the cinema. Sounds very interesting though.

• beetlejuice 22nd October 2021 at 2:56 pm

So did you go to bed reading? ie start off reading

• Deleted User 22nd October 2021 at 3:59 pm

I’ve always had lots of dreams and very vivid and memorable when I wake up.
      All my life but the dreams have changed over the last twenty years or so where I am more the observer.

• Deleted User 23rd October 2021 at 8:01 am

Hi WM,

Very interesting subject. I dream a lot, and remember. I talk, sing during my sleep and sometimes I scream when I have terrifying nightmares.

Unfortunately I sleep only 6 hours at night and a nap after lunch of 1 hour. So, I don’t get my 8 hours.

I was dependent on Xanax to sleep but I’m free from it thanks to banana tea 1 hour before bed. 🙏🏼

• WEST MIDLANDER 24th October 2021 at 11:36 pm

Hi Mycorner 4,

Yep you have a good remedy for sleepless nights. If it works for you its great. As long as you stay away from certain homeopathic herbal remedy, as I have seen it promote hallucinations in patients, far from being a ‘natural’ remedy for sleeplessness. But banana is truly a ‘natural’ ingredient and good for you unless individuals have kidney disease.

• Chrisdmids 25th October 2021 at 7:34 am

I don’t sleep very well at all but have vivid dreams. My brain seems to be working better than it does all day when I’ve been awake 10 mins though! Wish it would work like that all day.

• Dead Poet 5th November 2021 at 9:04 am

Hi Beautiful dreamers, i have always found dreams an interesting subject & just wish i could rewind some so i could decipher them more as in content they are sometimes quite surreal. Although many theories have been written about dreams & their meaning, the conclusion always seems to be they don’t have any relevance to anything, it’s just a collection of past & present incidents that jumble up in our brains then become present in our REM. It’s probably because our brain is like a computer that can’t cope with the overload of information we feed it then manifests in our sleep. Some of my dreams are good & some are bad & some just don’t make any sense, but hey let’s enjoy them because you can’t switch them off. Pleasant dreams everyone!

• Daisychain 5th November 2021 at 9:56 am

My dreams over the years have fallen into categories such as running away, being chased, flying (a favourite), floods, nuclear war etc.

I believe that dreams have helped me process difficult times and coming to terms with unpleasantness.

I do have happy dreams as well but as I’ve got older I seem to dream less but I’m pretty sure we all dream as it’s a natural part of sleep. Sleep experiments have shown that if you prevent people from dreaming it certainly isn’t good for mental or physical health.

Add