Home Forums Health Does mindfulness work? im mid 50s im stressed from...

Lainey Lu Posted 2 months ago
Does mindfulness work? im mid 50s im stressed from all different angles, money problems, , ill health & early retirement

Don’t want pills from Dr but just want to feel happier and in control again.

4 likes & 12 replies
    • notahasbeen 24th June 2022 at 3:21 pm

I find mindfulness helps somewhat for short periods of time during the day to help one slow down and relax and have a more tranquil approach to life. It’s not going to take away or even particularly help with life’s different problems. It’s not going to remedy depression in my opinion. That would need a different approach ( sometimes medication is necessary )It depends how badly you are affected by stress at the moment.

• Team Rest Less 24th June 2022 at 3:22 pm

Hi Lainey,
      Thank you for your post, great question there!
      We have a section here, https://restless.co.uk/search/?query=mindfulness, whose information and tips may come in handy.
      Hope that helps.

• Jean 1962 25th June 2022 at 9:24 am

Deep breathing exercises can help reduce anxiety. Forgive me if this is not appropriate but you say you have money problems and poor health – have you take. any action with these issues – Auriga offer excellent debt advice, are you eligible for/ have you claimed any disability benefits you may be entitled to – Auriga can advise/ did you work in an industry/profession where you might be able to get some short term financial support…..I know you asked about mindfulness but sometimes taking positive action can help reduce stress – good luck

• Philmo 25th June 2022 at 9:53 am

My perspective is that most problems result from emotional decision making. I believe decisions should take into account what you wish and like, but be firmly founded in logic and order, to achieve those aims. So many poo-poo him but Jeremy Corbyn’s method is sound – establish complete stability, or at least identify a sound foundation, then apply PMA – positive mental attitude.

• g 25th June 2022 at 10:35 am

For practical help there is CAB and Age Uk. I found mindfulness in my 50”s and a decade later I can honestly say it has changed everything for me.. never been more content..I strongly recommend it . It starts slowly and you have to develop the right mindset but boy it’s wonderful once you get it..if your going that route I recommend the Wisdom Quotes Cafe.. just Google it or join it on FB. The book I just finished is very advanced but it could be something to aim for.

• L.B 25th June 2022 at 12:59 pm

Hi Lainey,
      Mindfulness will work to a certain degree but bottom line is there are 4 areas of your life you need to keep updated.

1. Nutrition – eat 3 meals a day or a regular pattern daily and eat a healthy diet.

2. Exercises – exercise at least 3 times a week. This can be a walk or physical exercises at home ( not necessary to go to a gym), swim even in the sea( for free) Exercise boosts your moral, gets circulation going and good for muscles and joints and keeps you moving.

3. Socialization and hobbies, its so important to interact with other people and not isolate yourself. Everything improves and you get to laughing and having fun. Hobbies are good for our minds, give us a reason to get up in the morning and venture into new hobbies too. The more variety you put into your life the more enjoyment you get out of it.

4. Believing in a power higher than yourself. It can be a religion, or anything you have respect for and can spend some time reading about it or going to gatherings involving it. It gives you a peace and a different perspective on life.

Good luck and start today with making little changes at a time.

• DavidVirgo 25th June 2022 at 1:26 pm

I realised I had been using mindfulness for many years when a mindfulness guy gave a presentation. However you have real problems – both of which you can get help with. Debt- Citizens Advice, health -insist on getting it sorted- we are all stakeholders in the NHS

• Cabe 25th June 2022 at 2:36 pm

Think ‘mindfulness’ works if you are interested in it. Have had major bereavement depression when my mum passed and countered it with face-to-face bereavement therapy, then more online, and then mediation, and I would add that any type of f2f therapy is totally mind-blowing and Reommended as you get great coping mechanisms, learn about yourself and all the crazy reasons you do stuff!

If you are depressed then it is supposed to be a chemical imbalance, so meds would be the first go-to, but being a health freak, I didn’t want to be addited to them so cleaned up my diet instead. Tried various different things but personally, didn’t find mindfulness that helpful as I felt it was too ‘weak’ and you can’t always remember to breathe and watch the steam make patterns from your coffee cup etc, etc,.

Saying that though, you can do your own form of mindfulness and they are things (as someone mentioned above) -like diet, Clean up your intake, bin the junk and have more water; Don’t eat after 9pm to allow your organs to detox and delutter overnight, else they are working 24/7 and never rest and then of course, become ill; Get more sleep, Do simple exercises like walking or using the stairs more (and the bus less), Go to a park more often to relax (or your back garden) etc.

I found things like making a list with two columns, one with all your problems, and the other with all your gifts and things to be grateful for, and meditating on those problems to see why you have them. Nine times out of Ten you’ll find they are easy to fix… And at night before bed, write down all the problems you have had that day/week or been fretting about. Putting them on paper before sleep helps to empty your mind/ subconsious of them, to enable you to relax more, sleep better and thus, help the mind to assimilate stuff better. You should wake up refreshed every morning.

I used to do some dancing to my fav music in the front room, sometimes just me but most times anyone passing would join in – which was good exercise and lots of fun, but I also did simple yoga exercises, which helped my fibromyalgia big time.

It is also good to sit down and think about who you are – I mean really, deeply who you are and the things you like, your gifts, (are you intuitive, generous, funny, good organiser, etc) and know you can do and also what you want in life or what you want to happen in the next 2, 5 xxx years etc,. Write them down and stick them on the fridge where you’ll see them everyday. You’ll probably find you actually have more ‘Positives’ than you thought (and even more than the ‘negatives’!) Doing this daily helps strengthen not only your resolve and rational thinking (so you don’t dwell in a low place) but also your immune system – and be Grateful for them every day. God Bless x

• MandySally 26th June 2022 at 9:00 pm

You’ve received a very great deal of good advice so I can’t anything more to it except to say we wish you well as you begin to adjust to your early retirement, sort out money problems and health issues.

• PATTYC 5th July 2022 at 6:52 am

Hi Lainey.
      I suffer from Depression and what helps me most is getting out for a walk in nature. It really helps me.

• Lainey Lu 5th July 2022 at 7:09 am

Thanks Patty I do go our for a walk sometimes and i love to be in nature too. I ought to do it more often.

Add