Home Forums General Does living ‘off grid’ interest anyone else?

Add comment

• Does living ‘off grid’ interest anyone else?

Posted by onwardsteverowley
Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Reply by stumpy22

Wow sounds amazing….I’ve reached a point now where although I enjoy my own company I could really see myself getting involved in something like this with like minded people. Would have to be somewhere warm though as I like being outside as much as possible

• Reply by cazm67

I like the idea of it but not sure that I could cope. My desire is to live more sustainably and build our own eco home. The main problem is finance we live in southern England and land prices are horrendous.

• Reply by gfycoach

Yep, prices high here too, but don’t think I would want to move somewhere cold and wet to try being off grid!

• Reply by d_moira

Lived on my own on my boat with no mains water or power in a squat mooring for a while in my late 50s a few years back. (my first real experience of boating – borrowed a barge on the regents for 6 months before buying my own boat)  The boat was heated by a solid fuel burner.  Have a battery system and a generator.  It was a huge learning curve and you find out how resilient you can be.  I’m now on a fixed mooring with my 12v system backed up by mains power from the jetty. Still have no mains water.  My neighbours are about to leave and head to an isle in the Hebrides with only 40 inhabitants and do a total self build off grid.  Very jealous!!!!

• Reply by gfycoach

Sounds good. Did you see the Ben Fogle New Lives in the Wild Episode where the couple in British Columbia built a float home with a garden? Dreamy!

• Reply by gfycoach

So I’m wondering, what’s the main barrier to doing this? Finance? Knowledge? Skills? For us it’s viable land – really expensive here in Devon.

• Reply by scglasgow180

My dream would be to have a small flat somewhere but to live most of the year out of a Campervan. Traveling , exploring here and abroad then returning once or twice a year to reconnect With friends and family. All I need is to find a compatible companion and win the Lottery! 🤞

• Reply by twoboys

Me too! Perfect!

• Reply by stumpy22

You’ve literally just written what I want for my future almost to a T

• Reply by gfycoach

I hear that dream! I love my camper van travels.

• Reply by ls2116

My family and I lived in the USA for 14 yrs, part of that time was spent in Southern Oregon. We ended up buying a place with quite a bit of land some considerable distance away from town. It wasn’t technically ‘off grid’ there were times when it felt like it. For the first few years we were subjected to power outages. For us a power outage meant no heat in winter, no A/C in summer and nothing to cook on. OK you can cope with that but it also meant no water. We were on a well and a septic tank. The well had a pump that needed electricity to pump the water. No electricity, no water.

No heat or cooling I could cope with but no water, now that was hard. We had 6 five gallon containers of water as our emergency supply. You didn’t flush the toilet unless it was absolutely needed, washing up, well that only got done when the power came back on. Water was kept strictly for drinking and cooking.

We bought a small two ring camping stove so at least we could have soup or beans, something like that in winter power outages. Summer it didn’t matter quite so much as I usually had cold meat and salad so that was an easy meal.

The legacy of those years is that even today I keep bottles of drinking water on hand just in case there is a burst pipe or some other disruption to the water supply. As for wanting to live ‘off grid’ no thanks. However as I am currently living on the edge of a city my ambition is to move to a smaller town as I am much more of a small town girl rather than a city dweller 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by ls2116.
      • Reply by pinkgekko

Love this !

Such an honest account.

Off grid is sounds like it should be a very romantic way of life, but you are right …its very hard and not for the faint hearted.

• Reply by pandapops65

yes i would love to have always dreamt if having a little out buildling to renovate

• Reply by pinkgekko

We have tried to do this in a small way. I wouldn’t say we are off grid but we grow as much fruit and veg as we can and we share the keep of a few sheep and two goats with a neighbour.  Its very satisfying to enjoy a meal where much of whats on the plate comes from your garden/field.

Its our first year and what I would say is its physically hard work and almost a full time job.  Year round supply of veg is something we’ve not worked out.  Weve looked into eco energy supply but its too expensive for us to install…pity.

All in all its great fun and a much better pace of life.

• Reply by kateabernethy

Yes. Waiting for cheaper electricity storage batteries 🙂

• Reply by athomedavis

Off grid has appealed for a long time. Hubby is a renewable energy consultant so has the know how. We just need a place to put our new home – already designed a converted shipping container. Cheap and indestructible!

• Reply by twoboys

Yes! Would love to have the know-how and courage to be able to do it though…

• Reply by cmhowarth

I’ve been wanting to for years!

• Reply by jhunt6784

Wouldn’t it be great to try and grow and learn how to live off land

• Reply by pandapops65

Yes it’s something that has been on my mind for later on in life , when kids are older I would love to build my own place it renovate a double decker bus, barn, outbuilding

• Reply by vinevenci2016

It sounds awesome!

• Reply by scglasgow180

Me too! 😎

Viewing 13 reply threads