Home Forums Photography Does anyone use film

Trey Posted 4 months ago
Does anyone use film
20 replies
    • EricaLovesFlowers 24th September 2021 at 11:03 pm

Yes, I started using it again about a month ago. I’m very lucky to have a photoshop nearby who repair cameras and develop colour film. It’s a bit more difficult to find a lab that develops black and white.
      Sorry, long winded answer!

• Trey 25th September 2021 at 1:06 pm

Your answer is not long winded it’s great there are other film users out there. I use b&w and colour film the latter I send off to get developed. You are lucky to have resources close by, I develop my own b&w when I can and have time but enjoy doing it when I do its great fun. It encompasses maths chemistry physics art.

• EricaLovesFlowers 25th September 2021 at 3:29 pm

I must say though I love my iPhone for taking pictures. I try to take a photo using the iPhone before I use the film camera. A great way of learning!

• Trey 25th September 2021 at 5:48 pm

I am not saying I dislike digital cameras or phones for photography just saying its different and more subjective to use film. I take more care to frame compose when using my film camera so I feel i enjoy the results more.

• Deleted User 25th September 2021 at 8:45 am

I’ve not used film for
      A
      Long time. Used to
      Use B&W film
      And develop my own.

Switched to slide film in the 90s and used that until
      I succumbed to digital. I don’t miss having to
      Keep my slide film in the fridge though.

Much as I love digital, messing around in a darkroom was kind of fun.

Dave

• Trey 26th September 2021 at 10:40 am

It would be great to find out if there is a ground swell of film users out there in the community or people that have thought about it but not yet arrived at a conclusion.
      If uou are a film user let me know and even post some of your photos for us all to see. I will be looking through my past work and doing the same. Thank you all for engaging.

• Deleted User 19th October 2021 at 8:28 am

I’m moving back into B&W film photography. I still have my film camera circa 1988, just have to retrieve the std lens from my sons sweaty grasp. ANd now just bought an enlarger and all the kit so just working out where to build the darkroom with out upsetting the applecart.
        THere is a resurgence in film photography. Its worth looking on the Amateur photographer website under film. it appears there are many boutique film suppliers so i can’t wait to get stuck in.

• Reverend Nick 27th September 2021 at 12:07 am

I used to use film and develop my own B&W phots – it was fun at the time, seeing the picture appear in the tray.

I’ve no real hankering to go back to it though – I enjoy digital more – not as a quick fix – just spent 6 hours over the course of the day turning a picture of Robin Hood’s Bay into something that makes a satisfactory water colour. This is the challenge for me – I like photography but not so keen on straight photos. I want to make something that is suitable and creative for the particular subject and gives you a sense of atmosphere.

The one thing about using film though is that it gives you the discipline to make sure you’ve got the right settings on the camera, as opposed to taking a burst of shots on a digital and hoping one of them will be right.

• Trey 27th September 2021 at 8:03 am

Each and everyone to their own form of art. You take it to another level by producing paintings which is great, I totally agree with digital photographic output of 20 shots to obtain one good one whereas with film more time is taken in composition and getting the correct settings to produce one excellent shot. Most work on digital in completed post production. Wherein most work on film shots are completed pre production using filters and light control shutter speed and aperture settings.
      I would love to see some of your paintings in comparison with the photos.
      Thank you.

• SaraD21 30th September 2021 at 12:11 pm

I sometimes use film, although not for a while because of having no access to a darkroom.Over the last couple of years i’ve also started using alternative and historical photography methods, mostly cyanotype – it was great during lockdown because all you need are the basic chemicals, some paper and sunlight. Anyone else tried it?

• I am outofthefire 30th September 2021 at 8:14 pm

It’s not for me but at least 3 of my mates at camera club use it every now and again 👍

• Trey 30th September 2021 at 8:31 pm

There are many methods for developing film and producing images that use so called green chemical which are not as harsh and have less environmental impact. Results are variable but I am all for new methods and experimentation. Anyone else use alternative methods to produce prints

• Photojournal 19th October 2021 at 10:57 am

I use both, film and digital, depending on the job or project and also on client’s requirements

• Trey 19th October 2021 at 1:11 pm

Hi that’s interesting I have met very few people who use film in a commercial space due to cost and time constraints. Do many of your clients request projects are shot using film. If yes what type of projects

• reliquit 19th October 2021 at 1:43 pm

I use film occasionally, mainly because I bought an old 35mm Nikon with accessories for a pittance from a charity shop in Evesham a few months ago. I get films developed by Max Spielman who have shops all over the country. The service is quite slow as they have to be sent away, but after 20 years of digital photography the odd role of film makes an interesting change.

• Trey 19th October 2021 at 3:23 pm

Everything about film is slow but personally that’s what I love about it.
      I have really never stopped using film but I have purchased a DSLR which I use like a light meter before taking a film shot. I develop B&W but also love colour my biggest love is using filters to change affects I use Cokin filter system it’s great

Add