Home Forums Women’s Health Does anyone suffer from dry mouth at night?

Christine Twigg Posted 1 year ago
Does anyone suffer from dry mouth at night?

Hi I am 52 and sometimes get a dry mouth at night so have to have a drink which doesn’t help that much. I have heard it may be a symptom of the menopause but I am not too sure. Has anyone else had a similar experience/know what it is/has a solution?

4 likes & 55 replies
    • dyer6918 11th May 2021 at 7:05 pm

Hi I get a dry throat at night I think food that is quite salty can other foods probs best to eat earlier not to near going to bed. I always drink water at night unless I sleep through but often wake up with a dry throat and drink.
      If you snore and lie on your back that makes your mouth dry.

• Buds mum 11th May 2021 at 8:13 pm

I wake up with my dry tongue stuck to roof of mouth. Don’t know why! I’m 62.

• Deleted User 11th May 2021 at 8:35 pm

Yes some meditations will give you dry mouth at night and if you drink alcohol plus high blood pressure and too much spicy food always take a litre of water to bed with you and drink as much as you can just before going to bed I find it helps me sometimes you have to get up and go to the toilet but it helps

• SS3 11th May 2021 at 10:18 pm

Try using a mouth spray called Glandosane. Promotes saliva production.

• SS3 11th May 2021 at 10:21 pm

Can get Glandosane from a pharmacy.

• Christine Twigg 11th May 2021 at 11:19 pm

Wow! Lots of discussion there. I’m glad I brought it up. I do think there may be a correlation with snoring as I sometimes snore and it really upsets me. However, I’m going to try and note if when I snore my mouth is dry too.

• Buds mum 13th May 2021 at 11:35 am

I’m glad you brought it up too. Thought I was only one. I thought it was down to my snoring, which is pretty bad. I wake myself up!

• PeaceLily 15th May 2021 at 9:00 am

Out of the blue I started getting a dry mouth at night several months back. No explanation why. But wasn’t aware about the toothpaste, so this has been really useful,
      thanks for posting.

• Damayanthi 15th May 2021 at 9:15 am

Yes occasionally it does happen but if you had a couple of spoons of greek yoghurt before bed, it helps.

• PeaceLily 18th May 2021 at 9:33 pm

Hi went in a pharmacy to see if they had the toothpaste, which they didn’t. But the Pharmacist said among many other causes it could be an early sign of diabetes. Luckily I could rule this out because of recent blood tests, but thought I’d share it as it may be worth checking out if your dry mouth persists.

• Jester 18th May 2021 at 9:38 pm

Yes I do,

• Jeanjeanie 17th June 2021 at 9:39 pm

Yeah I suffer terrible, dry mouth syndrome really not sure why I get it dentest recommended sensodine toothpaste, some ingredient that stops from foaming, I just have to deal with it unfortunately.

• SouthernSoftie 17th June 2021 at 10:17 pm

I always take a glass of water to bed. If I wake up I always have as dry mouth. Dont think its anything to worry about

• Bezzyboo 17th June 2021 at 10:32 pm

I have sleep apnoea so have to wear a face mask to bed in case I stop breathing.

I use Xylimelt’s (from the Jungle Retailer online) they stick to the side or roof of your mouth (some kind of wizardry makes them stick!) and melt very slowly through the night to help combat the dryness. When you wake up in the morning, they’ve melted away. They really do help me

• Just Jools 18th June 2021 at 6:38 pm

Hey defo the menopause, sometimes also it might feel like you have metal in your mouth. The problem is lack of oestrogen , so visit to the doctor and some hrt would be a solution Jools

• Deleted User 27th June 2021 at 5:43 pm

my daughter has this and has been given a spray by her doctor which I see other people have recommended

• BarbaraM 15th July 2021 at 5:22 pm

I am way past menopause but wake through the night with a really dry mouth. Like others I always have a drink beside the bed. I have had this for a while but just thought it was something I had to put up with. Didn’t know there were remedy’s. May have to look further into it.

• Christine Twigg 15th July 2021 at 8:58 pm

Hi Rest Less did a webinar last night and in the presentation they said dry mouth is definitely a symptom and that symptoms can last until your 80s! They will be sharing the presentation on the website if you wish to have a look.

• Deleted User 15th July 2021 at 11:41 pm

As a fellow sufferer I hope you are wrong about the cause. My GP used to complain to me about having it, to. I wasn’t able to help him, and I don’t think I can help you. :sorry:

• Christine Twigg 16th July 2021 at 6:51 pm

Hi I have been given this from the doctor who did the menopause webinar and find it really helpful https://www.mymenopausecentre.com/symptoms/dry-mouth/ Please have a look as it is really interesting.

• Mary Payne 16th July 2021 at 8:13 pm

? Diabetic

• Christine Twigg 16th July 2021 at 10:33 pm

No, for me it is definitely related to the menopause but it can be related to other conditions.

• Deleted User 17th July 2021 at 12:53 pm

Hi I have been dry mouth day and night for ages , found out I am now diabetic, and have a tongue problem , now on pills , and make sure I clean my tongue every day , I am loads better . [I am 74 yrs so way past menopause]

• Christine Twigg 17th July 2021 at 1:36 pm

Hi glad you have found out the cause and have a solution.

• Nathalie 21st July 2021 at 10:38 am

Hi everyone,
      Found this article online and thought it might give you some answers….https://brentcornelius.com/2019/12/how-to-prevent-dry-mouth-while-sleeping-advice-from-your-family-dentist-in-keller-tx/

• Longhotsummer1 15th August 2021 at 12:49 pm

Only after a night out , to a music gig
      64 yes going on 15 yes refuse to let age get me ,
      Ps you look fantastic and have a lively smile .

• Christine Twigg 15th August 2021 at 6:52 pm

Thanks. Age will have to chase me too!

• Chojo 10th September 2021 at 11:12 am

A lot of people don’t know this but dry mouth at night is a breathing issue. If you breath through your mouth at night you lose moisture from your mouth and your airways.
      I suffered from dry mouth for years until I found out about breathing properly through the nose. I had a hard time at first but found a small piece of tape across my lips helped to keep my mouth closed.
      Only breathing through my nose has also stopped me snoring and cured my sleep apnea I rarely wake up through the night now never with a dry mouth. If I do wake up it’s to pee because I drank too much before bed lol.
      Not saying it will work for you but just some food for thought.

• Stowaway Gecko 10th September 2021 at 12:35 pm

Hi

It can be a symptom of the menopause, but it can also be a sign of diabetes or could be caused by medication. If you’re concerned or it doesn’t improve I’d see a doctor.

Hope it improves soon

Michelle

• Christine Twigg 12th September 2021 at 12:02 am

Hi Michelle I believe it’s to do with the menopause as it’s one of the clear symptoms.

• Sandyg 13th September 2021 at 3:13 am

Make sure you tell your dentist too, as they can also prescribe, and recommend certain toothpastes, and mine said to chew gum with Xylotol in it, which I do in the car on long journeys, when I used to get dry mouth as well.
      Iv had blood test to rule out diabetes anyway, so mine is certainly post-menopasal, even though a decade after the event.

Add