Home Forums Gardening Does anyone know how to get rid of a rat in a huma...

Victoria Phoenix Posted 2 months ago
Does anyone know how to get rid of a rat in a humanitarian way? I bought a trap but the rat didn’t touch it!

Instead a hedge hock got trapped and I was so terrified that it got injured, but luckily nothing bad happened. So I put the trap away as I don’t want to injure any animal. The rat keeps feeding on the birds food that drops down from the feeders. I don’t want to kill it, just want it to go away. Any suggestions?

28 replies
    • Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 5:40 pm

There’s never one rat.
      Kill it any which way you can and all the others that follow.

• Anna123 22nd September 2021 at 1:03 pm

At my last address, I had a problem with mice (a whole family) my whole flat was full of mouse droppings and it made me feel unclean but my home was very clean apart from that and my son saw one on our fruit bowl, so threw it all out.

My ex’s daughter had a whole family of rats in her bathroom in a ground floor flat and couldn’t use it for weeks while they got rid of them.

Let’s hope you don’t ever have this problem.

You must get rid of because they multiply very quickly and protect your home. Good luck 🤞 💐

• Deleted User 22nd September 2021 at 1:29 pm

Rats will destroy your home.
      They’ll eat through timbers and plaster and wiring.
      They can set your house on fire while you sleep they have to pee and pooh and they do it any and everywhere and the pee can cause you a horrible death.
      You cannot fight rats in a humane way.
      Would you ask how to humanely get rid of cockroaches or hair lice?
      This humane nonsense must stop when it comes to threats to your life.

• Deleted User 22nd September 2021 at 3:29 pm

Drainpipe with packets of poison I’d go for and maybe a couple of cats.
      The pipe should have a slope to enter so other creatures can’t wonder in.
      When I took over a farm that hadn’t been farmed for a generation the place was overrun with rats.
      The house the outbuildings.
      I put poisoned grain all over the place plus ended up with ten semi feral cats that lived in the outbuildings. I had a couple of toms in the house.
      Took me six months.
      I was also putting out food for them and hiding with a shotgun…. bang your dead. Horrible things.

• Deleted User 22nd September 2021 at 3:34 pm

I knew I’d succeeded when the dormice took over and there was no more rat pooh.

I spent time rendering all around the base of the buildings with cement containing broken and powdered glass.

All the doors had metal base plate including the inner front door which was porched with two doors.

• Caro 23rd September 2021 at 8:16 am

Everything has a right to life – human convenience and needs has to stop coming before respect for other animals, we share this planet! I’m pleased you’ve trapped the rat and haven’t just killed it – let it go in the countryside where it will thrive. If there are more, do the same.

• Deleted User 23rd September 2021 at 11:23 am

The rat is a threat to property and life.
        Dump it elsewhere and pass the problem on because you obviously don’t care about people very much.
        People who start hating their own species are suffering some kind of mental illness.

• Victoria Phoenix 23rd September 2021 at 8:50 am

Thank you Caro. I share your views. I wasn’t successful and haven’t trapped the rat. I am really confused now as I don’t want to hurt any living creature. But the rat is too clever and won’t get trapped. Especially now, after the hedge hock was trapped. I’m afraid I have to stop feeding birds as the falling down seeds attract the rat. My little garden shows how considerate a man should be when interacting with nature.

• Vervain 23rd September 2021 at 11:17 am

Earlier in the year our street had lots of rats.l saw them in the day babies as well as adults. Like you l was feeding the birds and the rats came to my feeders. I didn’t want to kill them either so l stopped feeding the birds. I did eventually call in the pest control as l learnt my dog could possibly catch disease from them. But by the time someone came to put bait down l had not seen any for a few weeks. He told me he had treated a couple of gardens so maybe they were all dead. I felt really bad about phoning pest control and l sympathise with how you feel. I intend to start feeding the birds again if it gets colder l can only suggest you stop for a while.

• Alb 23rd September 2021 at 12:23 pm

You need to remove the rats. Get pest control in to get rid if you are squeamish. I speak from experience. Last year they got into the house. The dog was going nuts as he could smell and hear them under the floor downstairs. My son could hear them running around in the loft above his bedroom. I purchased a couple of traps and set them with peanut butter (apparently rats love peanut butter). They moved the traps out of the way after eating the peanut butter. Our pest control man was called in. He set a couple of traps which looked like bear traps compared to my diddy things. We got 3 that way – they were the size of cats, even the rat man remarked on how big they were. His was that (as this was after lockdown had started) that as the restaurants, shops and cafe were closed there normal food source had been removed so they were venturing further afield and into residential areas. Even after the first 3 my son could still hear the rats in the loft on a night. Sure enougth we got more when setting the traps up there. The rats got wise to the peanut butter and avoided it – rat man went on to Nutella (apparently rats love Nutella). We finally got rid of them all and ended up rat proofing the house with mesh over the airbricks and filling in any holes we found. The rat man also checked all drains in the area to make sure they were not part of rat highways.
      I hope they never get into your house (or anyone else’s) as they are a bugger to get rid of. Get a professional in before they get in and let them solve your problem. 15 months after we had the problem my wife still gets the hebie jebies if she hears strange sounds in the night.

• Deleted User 23rd September 2021 at 4:40 pm

A female rat typically births six litters a year consisting of up to12 rat pups, although 5-10 pups are more common.

Rats reach sexual maturity after nine weeks, meaning that a population can swell from two rats to around 1,250 in one year, with the potential to grow exponentially.

——————————————————0———————————————-
      How many descendants could a pair of rats produce in three years?
      The answer: nearly half a billion. That shudder-worthy fact comes courtesy of pest control experts Rentokil, who put together an interactive projected labeled “The Rise of The Rats” to visually show just how crazy this cycle can be if left unchecked.

“If we were to do nothing we would be overrun by rats,” says Dr. Andy Brigham, general technical manager, Science and Service, Rentokil Initial. “Their breeding strategy is very different to that of humans. It is characterized by quantity over quality. They produce very large numbers of offspring on the basis that at least some will survive long enough to produce their own litters.”

This sounds like a perfect Syfy movie, doesn’t it? Ratnado? The Attack of 500 Million Rats?

In truth, though, this is a very real issue and a very viable one for restaurants. JC Ehrlich, a Rentokil North American division brand, saw an 86 percent increase in the number of rat-related callouts from 2015 to 2016. This was mostly clustered in major cities. Paris closed nine parks and green spaces as part of a major anti-rat campaign.

Obviously, a rat scurrying past your guest is an unforgivable sin in foodservice. It’s as likely to land your brand on YouTube in today’s social society as it is the nightly news.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/how-quickly-rats-can-breed-terrifying

We are the rats cleverest and most determined predator and the only hope of the world controlling them.

Then we get to the 20th and 21st centuries and people start behaving in a totally nonsensical way where emotion overrules intellect and thousands of years experience and knowledge.

As far as I’m concerned having had the experience of an environment overrun with rats not going out of your way to kill them when you know they’re near should be a criminal offence with very heavy penalties.

• Buffy 23rd September 2021 at 5:20 pm

It’s a rat trap baby, and you’ve been caught! Sorry not at all helpful but couldn’t resist!😆 unfortunately you may have to stop feeding the birds for a while. My mum had the same problem and stopped feeding the birds. Rat didn’t return

• Victoria Phoenix 23rd September 2021 at 5:58 pm

Ha ha Buffy very funny 😉 I love to watch the birds. It’s our ritual to seat with coffee in the conservatory and watch them. So it will be sad for us to let the birds down 😢

• Buffy 23rd September 2021 at 6:02 pm

😄 ha ha thanks, I know it’s a serious subject. I feed birds and I would be sad to stop. One thing we did when we saw a rat was to put a plastic sheet under the feeders and then get rid of the excess every evening. It was a bit of a chore but not seen a rat since 🤞

• Victoria Phoenix 23rd September 2021 at 6:12 pm

Thank you Buffy, it’s a good idea but ‘my’ rat is bold to walk and eat in front of me in the day 😱

• Glyn Colman 23rd September 2021 at 6:37 pm

You can buy live catch traps for rats. If you catch a rat in it, just take it out into the countryside and release it well away from houses.

• Deleted User 23rd September 2021 at 6:49 pm

Unfortunate for people like me who live in the countryside then!

• Victoria Phoenix 23rd September 2021 at 6:52 pm

Thank you Glyn, but as I say in my post the rat doesn’t touch the trap. It’s too clever. One night a hedge-hock got trapped and screamed a lot, so now the rat knows to not touch the trap for sure.

• Glyn Colman 24th September 2021 at 6:53 pm

If you have a live catch trap open the door and lock it. Bait it every day so they get used to it not going off. after a week bait it and release the safety catch. Most live catch traps have a safety catch.

• Ems 23rd September 2021 at 8:08 pm

I had the same problem this year too. In the end I got pest control to get rid of them, it took 3 visits but did the job. They won’t go away otherwise once they find a regular food source and they may set up home in your garden too.

Once I got rid of them, I changed my bird feeders to only put out food for the little birds, ie, sunflower hearts both black and white, Niger seed and peanuts, I don’t have fat balls any more as this was attracting rooks, crows, jackdaws, who were making all the mess and attracting rats onto the feeders! Also I changed one main feeder to a smaller hexagonal feeder with a tiny ledge so only small birds can land on it, seems to have worked a treat. Now no rats and I only get loads of blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, wrens, sparrows, gold finch, Robin’s and green finch who don’t cause the mess. Its worth using pest control for peace of mind and you get your garden and enjoyment of your bird feeders back, good luck 😎🙏

• Shirlann 25th September 2021 at 1:47 pm

Put a paddling pool out👍Found a dead one in ours😬not nice!

• Deleted User 25th September 2021 at 3:07 pm

There is no point putting out a trap to catch one single rat.
      There is never one single rat.

• beetlejuice 5th October 2021 at 10:51 am

Hi Victoria, Jac-b is right! yes rat is clever and instinctively needs to feed and breed.Vermin will enter your home through smallest hole or pipe in order to be warm and find food.Birds will come to your garden with or without food, to find water and shelter and nest in trees.I found droppings on my kitchen floor about 1 year ago and this was horrendous for me as i am terrified of them!I searched everywhere in house to find entry and exit routes.The cement around outside drain was broken and the gap was approx 1 inch, they entered through there and to back of kitchen cupboards and out into kitchen through kickboard.I wouldn’t dream of hurting anything either, but a completely different thing when they enter your home.Weils disease, Leptosporosis! (hopefully spelt correctly)i repaired the cement around drain and forced wire wool into all gaps in and outside home.Bought 10 traps and put in garden which did trick but i couldnt bring myself to dispose of them so stopped doing that.They dont like strong spelling things peppermint oil, garlic, onion.
      forgot to mention, they chewed through under cupboard electrical cable which killed all downstairs lighting and cost me £200 to have repaired!

Add