Home Forums Style & Beauty Does anyone do their own gel nails/has them done?

Christine Twigg Posted 2 years ago
Does anyone do their own gel nails/has them done?

After having my nails done for many years by someone else, in Lockdown I am pleased to say that I have learned to do them myself.  I use Jessica Geleration (approx. £15-20) per bottle but does anyone use a better product that they recommend?

4 likes & 10 replies
    • Delboy 8th November 2020 at 10:45 pm

I get my toe nails done by NHS because my big toes grow inwards and I need to go regular to the hospital to get them done.

• Ritak 8th November 2020 at 10:55 pm

Hi

i do my own gel nails and use Semlac or opi products they seem to be good and reasonable.

• Jay Taylor 10th January 2021 at 10:32 pm

Hi I like to paint my nails all the time – I like to use different colour varnish each time and will replace varnish as soon as it is chipped or scratched etc.
      I will paint and then use clear gloss varnish – effect looks like gel and seems to last well. I use various brands and seem to work fine – price per bottle range from £6 to £20 from super markets & Avon usually.

• Marianne 16th January 2021 at 10:07 am

Hi Christine. I do my own now and save lots of money. I use Sally Hansen base coat (can be used as top coat as well), for colour Maybelline super stay 7 days gel nail colour, and finish off with a little gem : Sally Hansen Insta Dry top coat. 15 secs later..all dry and good to go. Last 1 or 2 weeks on me.

• Rebecca H 19th January 2021 at 9:33 am

I found gel manicures really damaged my nails over time as the removal process is harsh. Much better and loads cheaper to do your own at home (if you need to!) good base coat and top coat makes all the difference. Best colours and quality I’ve found is Essie. Wilko do a great really cheap range too their gel topcoat is fab only £3 and makes even a bad paint job look glossy and professional. A good hand cream and wearing washing up gloves helps too.

• Christine Twigg 20th January 2021 at 10:07 pm

Wow! Never thought Wilko did gel, will have to have a look Yes, I’m acully giving my nails a rest for the first time in years. Not heard of Easier. I usually use Jessica and recently Opi but it’s not as good. What hand cream do you recommend?

• Marianne 14th February 2021 at 11:22 pm

Hi Christine.twigg
          I can recommend 2 hand creams: one you can get your family to buy you for Xmas and birthday – Clarins hand cream, 2 options both fantastic but expensive. Hence always on my Christmas wish list. The other one, I buy it and it’s Dove Derma Spa Cashemere Comfort. Soooo good and with a light but very nice scent 😊

• Christine Twigg 15th February 2021 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to have a look.

Add