Home Forums General Does anybody suffer from bouts of insomnia? ItR...

Dr Dave Posted 3 months ago
Does anybody suffer from bouts of insomnia? It’s 1:20am and feeling like one of those nights.
18 likes & 143 replies
    • JaneG 1st September 2021 at 5:05 pm

The trouble with home working is that it’s too easy to work later than normal so the brain has less time to process and park matters for the evening. Home working is mentally challenging but not physically demanding. Try developing a habit of turning off the computer and going for a brisk walk. Can you find activities to do which involve a change of posture and no blue light stimulation eg standing at a bar or baking? Convince yourself that tonight is the night that you will sleep well and go to bed when you feel the urge to nap on the sofa. If you do wake, avoid too much mental stimulation. Instead think back to relaxing holidays and imagine the sights, smells, textures, sounds and tastes associated with that place. This should help block unwanted thoughts and hopefully the peaceful alternative should lull you back to sleep.

• Forget-Me-Not 1st September 2021 at 6:55 pm

This was timely……..I just came across this article:

“There’s a brilliant military technique that is said to help anyone fall asleep in just two minutes – and it might just change your life.

The trick is reportedly used by the US army to help them fall asleep in situations that are less than peaceful, such as on battlefields.

Detailed in the book Relax and Win: Championship Performance, 1981, the technique is thought to have been developed by army chiefs to ensure soldiers didn’t make life-threatening mistakes due to exhaustion.

Here’s how to do it:
      Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
      Drop your shoulders as far down as they’ll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
      Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down
      You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:

You’re lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
      You’re lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
      You say “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.

The technique is said to work for 96 per cent of people after six weeks of practice.”
      The Independent
      [This article was originally published in March 2018]

• LucasH 1st September 2021 at 8:29 pm

I thought that a lack of sleep was an annoyance but I’m seeing lots of articles etc. Saying that getting enough good sleep is so important, some saying that bad or not getting enough sleep is life shortening, scary.
      I think we will spend more time looking at ways to improve my sleep.

Unfortunately I don’t like peanut butter ☹️
      I will try the US army technique.

When I can’t sleep I tend to battle on trying to sleep rather than get up and bake a cake

I do wear an eye mask so that I get total blackout, I find it helps.

• susanna1 2nd September 2021 at 8:38 am

Thanks Dave for starting this interesting thread. Valuing all the responses! I’ve had insomnia since student days and tried countless remedies. Favourites are getting up and making tea, wandering about a bit and going back to bed to read or write till sleepy. I used some CBT-based therapy accessed via Trouble Sleeping website. Found it helpful to discover I could compress my sleep into midnight to 6am if I practised, e.g. avoiding daytime naps, and set my mind to it! That was useful when I worked 9 to 5 and couldn’t function on too little sleep. Now I go with the flow and enjoy those middle-of-the-night times awake and often feeling creative.

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 8:42 am

Hi Susanna, Im pretty much the same. Have always been a night owl and probably always will. I have found if I cant get to sleept hen its best to break the routine a little. I love sitting int the garden in the middle of the night (Im sure my neighbours think Im mad LOL). One upshot to insomnia is that Im a bit of an astronomer so if im wide awake and the skies are clear I can indulge one of my passions. If its cloudy or wet then I usually sit and read or let my mind wander a little. Eventually I feel tired enough to sleep. I must sday though that I will be happy when I retire (hopefully 3 years and counting) then alarms will mostly be a thing of the apst and my sleep patterns can be a lot more flexible.

• Julia Ipswich 2nd September 2021 at 12:38 pm

I joined a group called RestLess at 3:00am this morning… Guess that answers your question! I haven’t slept normally since the onset of menopause 7 years ago. I’m tired!! 😴

Great hearing everyone’s experience and sharing of hope for us insomniacs! Thanks.

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 12:48 pm

LOL that certainly answers the question. Sorry to hear you have been suffering for 7 years now. Mine comes on now and again and is totally unpredictable. So I will probably see you around at 3am sometime.

• Netta 4th September 2021 at 1:06 pm

Lifelong insomniac here. Going in for quite regular ‘white’ nights these days. Think I need to lengthen my daily walks … And, yes, I’m glad you’re all suffering too 😁

• Dr Dave 4th September 2021 at 1:18 pm

A good walk
      Always helps. I keep thinking of walking at night if I can’t sleep. I might give it a go sometime 😊

• KathyB 4th September 2021 at 9:12 pm

Yes, quite often, and oddly it happens on the nights I go to bed exhausted? . It’s then that the sneaky “ night nadgers ” decide to drag up every little thing it can ☹️. Wishing you a restful sleep tonight 🤞🏻

• Dr Dave 4th September 2021 at 11:08 pm

Yes it would be good if the brain came with an off switch for when you really just want to sleep and not think.

• Curtis 6th September 2021 at 1:05 pm

Sadly being well over 21 has a negative impact on sleep. However I have 2 crazy cats and both love to play in the middle of the night

• Dr Dave 6th September 2021 at 1:07 pm

Hi Curtis, that sounds kind of fun unless theyg et to playing just as you nod off. I had another very sleepless night last night and am feeling a tad jaded today to say the least.

• Curtis 6th September 2021 at 1:10 pm

No I often sleep from around 10 or 11 but they don’t care. They want me awake and succeed. I try to not doze in the afternoon. Poor sleep is so common and so challenging. Catherine

• Dr Dave 6th September 2021 at 1:17 pm

Yes it seems to be a lot morew common than I tought.

• Dr Dave 20th September 2021 at 12:45 am

Well it’s been a few weeks since my last sleepless night but tonight is looking to be another one. It’s reasonably clear outside so I may go and relax in the garden for a while to see if that encourages any sleep.

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 3:05 am

Well thank goodness I’m not the only one I’ve been up since 0:2 trying to listen to some soft music

• Catwoman 20th September 2021 at 4:34 am

Ok it 04.30 and I’m awake. WTH am I doing on here? Cats are a nightmare sometimes 😸🤣😸 especially when there’s a fox in the garden 🦊

• Terry75 20th September 2021 at 7:35 am

I’ve got the kettle on by 0330 most mornings lol.

• Maddy W 20th September 2021 at 9:58 am

All the time! I hate it!

• Moriarty 20th September 2021 at 10:27 am

I find a good app is the Feeling Good app, ( NHS recommended, I believe), there is a track for getting to sleep and a Restless Night track.
      The latter one is a guided meditation for acceptance of wakefulness and encourages you to enjoy the peace and comfort of the moment.

• Indie 21st September 2021 at 10:52 am

Yes I do have bouts of insomnia . Evening primrose can help . Even a drowsy antihistamine. Seem too wake about 3 am . Nice smile by the way

• Cazz66 23rd September 2021 at 12:17 pm

Oh yes I do some nights I’m still awake at gone 3 am or I sleep early and wake at 3 I generally get anything from half an hour to four hours a night

• Alexandra 2013 23rd September 2021 at 12:39 pm

Yeppity so it’s a cuppa and book in bed till I doze off again. It’s not a problem really, it is what it is 🥱

• Alexandra 2013 23rd September 2021 at 12:42 pm

Shame we don’t all live near each other we could have an early hours outdoors rave 🥳

• ShirleyB 23rd September 2021 at 5:04 pm

I would set my alarm for an early hours outdoors rave 🤣

• Daisychain 23rd September 2021 at 7:26 pm

So comforting to know that others have disturbed nights. Some nights I sleep all the way, others I wake and then go back to sleep but some nights like last night I woke at 2.30. Gave up trying to go back to sleep by 4.00, made a pot of tea and 2 slices of toast. Finally went back to sleep for a bit at 5.30. I’ve just decided now to go with the flow and not worry too much. That’s a sure way of not being able to nod off.

I’ll know where to go now if I wake and want something else to do.

• Dr Dave 23rd September 2021 at 7:35 pm

I’m sure there will
      Be somebody awake most nights 😊

• Dr Dave 23rd September 2021 at 11:55 pm

I’m
      Looking forward to retirement in a few years 😊

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 28th September 2021 at 5:23 am

Yeah I do suffer with it but my nightshifts haven’t helped over the years

• Janhu 28th September 2021 at 12:23 pm

Every night

• Dr Dave 6th October 2021 at 2:44 am

Well another day and it’s 2:44 and the same old s**t. Morpheus where are you?

• Dr Dave 6th October 2021 at 7:41 am

Eventually 😊😕

• Deleted User 6th October 2021 at 8:28 am

I’ve had insomnia for many years just got worse early this year. I get very tried round 10: sleep until 2:0. Then I wide awake through out. They say the worse thing to do when you can’t sleep is tap away on computers, iPod. Is the light from the screen plays ups on you.
      Been taken CBD oil twice a day kind of helps to keep calm. When it gets really bad I take Mirtazapine which is a knock out. And I end up sleeping for days. But really try not to take it.

So Sleep Less In Somerset I suppose

• Dr Dave 6th October 2021 at 8:36 am

And in Bristol 😕

• KayMull 7th October 2021 at 9:53 am

Try going decaf – it certainly helped me. You get a few headaches, muscle (mainly thighs) aches for a couple of weeks as your body detoxes, but then you feel SO much better and sleep so much better too. Nothing with in caffeine after midday.
      NB caffeine in chocolate! 😢

Add