Home Forums General Does anybody here do canal boating ??

Sonny1234 Posted 10 months ago
Does anybody here do canal boating ??

Thinking of hiring a narrow boat & see if touring the canals is a peaceful as it looks ??
Does anybody do this & what do I need to do it ???

4 likes & 24 replies
    • Daisychain 16th July 2021 at 8:56 pm

We used to live on a canal boat and went on trips from time to time. The canal folk are usually a very happy and helpful bunch and may give you a hand to work the locks. I always loved chugging along at about 3.5 mph and doing the locks whilst hubby did the steering and manoevering of the boat. There was nothing like waking up in the morning to the sound of birds singing and the ducks knocking on the boat for breakfast.

I don’t know where you live but initially try to find a stretch of canal that doesn’t have a flight of locks as generally once you start the flight you have to finish. The more complicated locks quite often have a lock keeper and he is definitely in charge and will tell you when you can move. Etiquette says you help others and take your turn at locks. One up and then one down as it conserves water.

The Staffs/Worcester canal is very beautiful with some great pubs along the way. I suggest you take a look at boats for hire from reputable companies and call them for a chat. Maybe watch some of the tv available as well. Give it a go and see how you get on. It’s life in the slow lane and great for a good wind down.

• Sonny1234 16th July 2021 at 9:19 pm

Thankyou Daisychain , that is very helpful , I live in West Yorkshire , so there are plenty of waterways here & I have been told of a company in Hebden Bridge who hire them out , I’ll contact them soon , Thankyou for your help .

• Daisychain 16th July 2021 at 9:47 pm

We were in Skipton on Wednesday looking at the canal and wishing. If you decide to go with it have a great time. Make sure you take waterproof clothes and boots. Nothing worse than being cold and wet whilst having to work the locks.

• Sonny1234 17th July 2021 at 6:52 am

Thankyou , I will definitely look into it .

• SteveKent 17th July 2021 at 9:23 am

Canal Boat Diaries on i player will give you a taster

• Deleted User 20th July 2021 at 9:12 am

Sounds good a nice peaceful getaway 👍

• Kriztina xxx 20th July 2021 at 9:40 am

Lovely

• SJ Calamity 24th July 2021 at 1:42 pm

I had a great canal boat holiday with my ex and daughter some years ago. It was so much fun. Went from Birmingham through to Stratford Upon Avon and back again in a week. Mooring up at a pub or just sitting relaxing watching the world go by. Would love to hire one again, however just need someone to go with as difficult on your own 😂

• EllieMay 30th August 2021 at 7:36 pm

Did you give it a go yet ?

• Sonny1234 30th August 2021 at 8:00 pm

Not yet, mainly due to work but I plan to try it soon, I have found a few places that hire them out near me .

• EllieMay 30th August 2021 at 8:29 pm

I’ve been once and it was lovely .. when you get used to steering it LOL , I did crash in to branches of the trees on the canal bank a couple of times LOL .. all part of the fun !!

• Sonny1234 31st August 2021 at 6:54 am

I will get to do it but it will probably be next year now , but I intend to see what it is like , I may end up buying one !!!

• Deleted User 2nd September 2021 at 8:20 pm

I have been afloat for most of my life. The canals are the peaceful end of boating with calm waters and as you get older you graduate from the Seas to the Rivers to the canals as time takes its toll on the body.
      I have spent a lot of time on the waterways of Europe which are much larger versions of the English waterways. With many thousands of kilometres to explore over several countries. As you get towards retirement perhaps you can graduate to the European canals. So much to see and so many adventures to have. The common factor is mostly about the friendly nature of the people on the water. You can walk along the towpath and talk to anyone on the barges. Try that in any street of houses!
      My next adventure is to go down from the Netherlands to the Canal du Midi in the South of France and follow the cruise of Rick Stein.
      You will never be bored and will always find someone to chat to.
      Start in Yorkshire and the world will become your oyster.

• Sue2803 2nd September 2021 at 11:32 pm

Yes it’s very peaceful. Depending where you are the locks can be good exercise. I lived in the boat not sure what you need if hiring

• Sue2803 3rd September 2021 at 9:05 am

Rivers I was on the network river Lee and Stort went through London on the canals several times

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 3rd September 2021 at 9:20 am

I don’t but have thought about it!
      My MD has a larger Cruiser up the Thames and I go on it a fair bit.

• Vonny52 3rd September 2021 at 1:24 pm

Our 38 year old son lives on a wide beam houseboat in London. He is a ‘cruiser’ because mooring is very expensive so he has to move every two weeks. He likes the lifestyle and the houseboat community is very good at helping each other out. Getting through locks can be time consuming and hard work, but you tend to find that people who are just walking alongside often offer to help if you need it. I think it would be good for a holiday.

• Sonny1234 3rd September 2021 at 6:09 pm

Thankyou for your answer , I intend to try it .

Add