Home Forums Travel Does anybody have advice on buying a camper van. W...

mariahudson12 Posted 2 years ago
Does anybody have advice on buying a camper van. We want a different type of holiday

My hubby and I want to holiday in the UK more often and are looking for a small or medium size van for long weekend trips away.

4 likes & 8 replies
    • USHA 14th August 2020 at 5:59 pm

Hello! I see you posted this back in June. My friend has a Camper Van and she goes on a lot of weekend trips with her husband and 2 kids. If you still need advice, do let me know

best wishes

Usha

• steve clifford 16th August 2020 at 7:33 am

Hi having had a camper van  My advise would be to Initialy rent one  for a week or weekend  to get the full experience …  you would then have a better Idea of what would suite you Ideally when not in use they need to be kept off road   driveway /garage

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 6th September 2020 at 11:44 am

Hello. Having just signed up and exploring the site I found your post. If you are still looking my advice would be to visit a large dealership with new and secondhand models available. That way you can look at different internal layouts, roof styles etc and decide what suits you. Once you have your criteria then you can look at smaller dealers who won’t have the range and online at eg Autotrader.

As someone above mentioned you do need to consider storing the vehicle when not in use.

Also the initial outlay can be hefty but resale prices are also relatively high. Would advise against a brand new one as depreciation is similar to that of a car.

And Jan/Feb is a good time to buy as dealers are making room for new stock for the new season.

• chrisday_narca 13th September 2020 at 5:50 pm

Did you get a camper and have you been away yet.  We’ve a motorhome and have been out twice so far this year.  Ravenglass (Cumbria) & Pickering (N Yorks) – close to Whitby & Scarborough.

Chris xx

• Buggyboo63 11th October 2020 at 11:05 pm

Hello, I had a motorhome for over 3 years about 8 years ago.  It was an interesting experience!  Always remember to look underneath for rust, and indeed anywhere else you can look.  A small van won’t give you any space and a big van will be a challenge to manoeuvre unless you are a natural.  Therein really is the difficulty with holidays in vans.  If you don’t have a problem with either of these and are naturally quite tidy (I am not), you will probably love it.  In many ways I did love it – for the freedom of the road, but people will tell you “you can go anywhere”.  No, you can’t.  Not in a big one through tiny villages.  Also, work out what the petrol/diesel consumption will be, otherwise you won’t be able to afford to go far!!!  Plus a million other things I can’t think of now but you only know when you start travelling in one.  Good luck!

• Susan43 17th October 2020 at 10:47 am

I would buy second hand or maybe buy a van in a size you can manage and convert it, otherwise the prices are sky high.  It is highly advisable to rent one for a week to see how you cope.

You need to decide if you want a toilet and shower, as they come with the challenge of filling and emptying tanks.

If you get a diesel, there are many cities you cannot drive through without fees. Petrol are hard to find and can have poor mpg.

Travel when the weather is good, or through Scotland and expect record crowds while covid is rife.

Really try before you buy.  We run a campervan company and it is not for everyone.  Watch some of the hundreds of vlogs on you tube for ideas and insight. Not the beautiful people who instagram every minute, but find some older couples channels.  There is an older English couple who set out to travel the world and ended up stuck in a parking lot in istanbul for months. They are very honest about it.

• pegwr33 15th November 2020 at 9:08 pm

Ask yourself, are you prepared to live in a small space?  Have you got an alternative form of transport once you arrive on site (bike?), as it is not uncommon to go away and come back to find that your pitch has been taken. Admitted, this is more of a problem on the continent, but it happens.

For reasons of space, we decided upon a caravan rather than a motorhome. Its not as scary towing as it sounds, and both the major clubs offer Towing Courses if you do not feel confident to try it on your own.  I am now into my 29th year of towing a caravan and have been all over the UK, France (several times), Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands.  Join one of the Clubs which will give you a preferential rate on site fees plus access to small privately run 5-van sites which offer good value.

But whether you go for a caravan or a motorhome, I would echo what others I have said and buy from a reputable dealer as you will get a warranty plus a multi-inspection of the vehicle.

• Deleted User 7th January 2021 at 9:26 am

Maybe too late for the OP but might help others. When looking for a Motor Home or MH, there are many layouts. Most of which will not suit. We have owned for some 20 years and are on our 4th vehicle. This last time around we visited 6 dealerships and looked in some 500 vehicles testing locker catches and so on for the quality of the build. Oddly it was really almost at the last minute we realised we had missed a VERY important issue which was outside storage (garage) as our last one had had several external lockers. So with the garage in our sights we ended up with a lovely vehicle which has been and is a pure joy to have. It boils down to research. A little van means constantly playing chess with the space. You will constantly be moving gear to make that one space that at that point you need. That rapidly becomes a real pain. They are not cheap and it pays to take your time. Also hiring one for a week will let you know if its for you or not. Or at least you will know if it works for you with that layout. The fredom is awesome and frankly it leaves caravanning in the shade as you don’;t need a campsite every day if you play clever. 😉 Some though need the security blanket of sites for us being on one is an admission of failure but we are in Scotland, England is quite another matter.

Add