Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Do you take part in endurance or extreme sports?

Team Rest Less Posted 7 months ago
Do you take part in endurance or extreme sports?

We’d love to hear about it! Please comment below…

Perhaps you’re a marathon runner, a triathlete or something else that gives you a big adrenalin hit.

32 replies
    • SteveInWales 6th October 2021 at 3:45 pm

I’m a runner who, before the pandemic, had run 2 full marathons & 23 half marathons. I’ve also run 10 – 15 mile trail races around the Welsh mountains and coastal paths. But Covid damaged my lungs and it has been a long road to recovery and I’m going to limit myself, (for now), to 10km distances only. I’ve also completed all my goal races so unless something different or a little bit special comes along then I won’t be entering many races.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 6th October 2021 at 8:10 pm

Good evening, yes up to ultra marathons (35 miles) and half ironman. Also Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race (125 miles). Training for a full ironman next year all going well.

• Rowan 6th October 2021 at 8:55 pm

Return trip to Symonds Yat on the list , the canoeing and ultras sound amazing…prior to London I watched film re chap in USA who ran 100 miles in one go and I thought if he can do that London a breeze 🤣 and as for Ben Smith to repeat a marathon daily for 401 days wow …incredible but I would have struggled to do consecutively!

• Rowan 6th October 2021 at 8:51 pm

Ha ha I now qualify to say having run for 3 years I am now officially a marathon runner although completed 2020 virtually last year…😊 …can’t wait to run my next marathon with my running buddy, and Great North here we come next year…however 3 years I would have found this to put me off so actually who cares the distance and whether extreme just enjoy and Saturday park run a fabulous start to weekend especially If decent coffee and cake. As to extreme does Go Ape count that’s what next on list now London ran 😊.
      Maybe maybe one day I may venture further than 26.2 …but apparently I did 27 Sunday so maybe that counts….just enjoy 😊
      Don’t mind saying my love affair with running came following a weight loss as before 3 years ago for me it probably would not have been possible …slow typing that as my message is the impossible maybe possible but yes do know that not possible from a health point of view foreveryone so yes I do feel blessed .

• Paul095 6th October 2021 at 9:20 pm

I had a pretty exhaustive battle trying to put me socks in this morning 😳

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 7th October 2021 at 8:22 am

Anyone interested in starting up a ‘rest less’ Strava group to help keep us motivated through the Winter months?

• SteveInWales 7th October 2021 at 9:36 am

That might be fun!

• Team Rest Less 11th October 2021 at 4:13 pm

Hi Shaun and Steve – we already have a Rest Less Strava group. This has previously been for Rest Less employees but we’ve just opened it up to be a public group. You can find it here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/restless

• Photojournal 12th October 2021 at 9:57 pm

I completed two iron man thriatlons when I was younger. I am currently 59 and active in surfing, skateboarding, kite surfing, and snowboarding, I also play squash in an open league.

• Gerard371 13th October 2021 at 7:33 am

Just a very short story. Two of my photography friends were out somewhere, came across this chap getting on in years, getting his hand glider ready. They helped him and he jumped off. After a few minutes he fell from the glider, he’d forgotten to strap himself in. Probably the help, distracted him from going through his normal routine. Badly bruised, but fortunately didn’t kill himself.

• Chojo 13th October 2021 at 7:24 am

Extreme sports? Isn’t that just parenthood 😁

• Gerard371 13th October 2021 at 7:28 am

Was married for 20 odd years, does that count?

• Terry75 13th October 2021 at 7:39 am

Did my first cycling event at 61. 100km in 4hrs 2mins 23 secs. Was quite pleased with that.

• ShirleyEm 14th October 2021 at 8:04 pm

done a lot of outdoor activities of varying types over the years and just getting back into climbing wall bouldering….love it but I do feel like the ancient amongst spritley youths. Anyone in the ne essex area want to join me? I am terrible! overweight u nderfit but its fun!

• JaneG 16th October 2021 at 10:33 am

By no means extreme, but this year I walked the Cleveland Way, did the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge, ran a 10k and started cycling. I would love to have some encouragement to keep up the running as winter hibernation tendencies are starting to set in! Would the Strava group help in this or is there a need for a Restless running support forum?

• runner49uk 21st October 2021 at 11:45 am

Hi everyone
      I did the Marathon des Sables 10 years ago when I was 60, and have done the ‘Fandance Race’ in the Brecon Beacons 3 times -at 63, 64 and in July this year just before my 70th birthday (and did it 40 minutes faster than the previous times but I think that was because I did it with my 29 year old daughter who did push me a tad! 🙂 ). I have done marathons before but always felt drawn to the more exotic and unusual events! (Mind you the hardest thing about the MDS was paying for it..not cheap but if you are going to do one event in your life that will change you this is the one!). I would love to connect with anyone else who is of like mind.
      I am a CIMSPA registered Personal Trainer and UK Athletics Leader in running fitness and determined to help and inspire others, and to help them realise that age is just a number on your birth certificate.
      My website is
      telos-personal-training.com
      take care all

• Team Rest Less 2nd November 2021 at 1:01 pm

This is great to hear – thanks for sharing! We have a few ultra runners in Rest Less HQ so our ears perked up at the mention of the MDS! I don’t know about the Fandance Race but will look it up.

Do you have clients aged 50+ too?

• runner49uk 2nd November 2021 at 5:41 pm

Hi
      I don’t have any clients at the moment as I am considering going back into nursing/or a related role so not sure if that would cancel out any interest?

The Fandance march/run is organised by Avalanche Events and is the SAS/Special Forces ‘entrance test’ so its quite difficult-whether you do the ‘loadbearing’ (basically yomping with boots and a massive bergen on your back) or ‘clean fatigue’-which is running (though still with a rucksack as there are certain items/water/safety kit that are compulsory) but its viewed as one of the best UK endurance events by many!
      hope that helps
      best wishes
      David

• Brighton Belle 2nd November 2021 at 6:16 pm

Gym

• Forestbather 2nd November 2021 at 7:27 pm

I have run marathons and done sportives. I’ve climbed Kilimanjaro. I’ve done the High Inca Trail and trekked in Zimbabwe. Done the Yorkshire 3 Peaks 12 hour a few times and the National 3 Peaks 24 hour twice. Skydive. Abseil.

• backofbeyond 20th December 2021 at 5:26 pm

I’m not in Runner49’s league but I’ve done half a dozen ultras and have two lined up for next year – just before my 71st birthday. I was going to do a double marathon in Morocco a few months ago but Covid regulations made the logistics impossible.

Other than that I’ve skied, skydived, paraglided and surfed in the last couple of years, used to scuba dive for many years and ride motorcycles (summer and winter) to wherever I can get to on them – West Africa, NY-LA-NY, Canada, most of Europe etc.

Next ‘plan’ is to is to ride my 52yr old motorcycle to North Africa next summer, followed by taking my 45yr old 125 motorcycle to Mongolia in 2023 – to follow either the Silk Road or the Hippy trail depending on your knowledge of the area. I lead an over 60’s keep fit class in my town and have done for years.

If that list sounds a bit ‘trumpet blowey’ it’s not meant like that, it’s just the things I enjoy doing. Picture is me about 10yrs ago in the Sahara

Add