Home Forums House & Home Do you ‘Spring clean’, and if so what...

• Do you ‘Spring clean’, and if so what do you actually do over and above normal cleaning?

Posted by Carol.L
    • Reply by JoanSmith

no point in spring cleaning in our house, just moved in and everything needs done!!! 🙂

• Reply by Carol.L

Oh dear Joan, one room at a time maybe?

• Reply by e17hedgehog

I clean the windows inside and out and wash the frames. Just a once a year job when it’s getting light in the evenings and I can see how dirty they are!

• Reply by Carol.L

I know what you mean about the windows, that darned sun has a lot to answer for too showing up dust and cobwebs!

• Reply by LeighS

Guess what I am doing over the Easter weekend!!! The sun came out and oops, showed me the windows needed cleaning, on the inside at least. The outsides will need doing but I will I need a window cleaner to clean to do that.

• Reply by Carol.L

Happy cleaning Leigh! Make sure you reward yourself though with lots of Easter goodies!

• Reply by LeighS

I already have the supply of chocolate on standby 🙂

• Reply by Carol.L

You’re a girl after my own heart Leigh! Carrot, or chocolate ! and stick!

• Reply by Marica

It depends what mood I am in on the day Carol. I never have housework days . My mum did when I was little and it was rigid! I will walk past things, look at them and go” OOOOk, where’s the mop/hoover/pledge??!” And this can be from getting up in the morning to midnight and I will still clean it whatever the time. But kitchen and bathrooms are done regularly . I cannot be bothered to do too much nowadays . But I do feel my home could so with a good internal freshen up of paint

• Reply by Carol.L

I too try and keep on top of things cleaning wise but do leave some jobs like washing down paintwork and curtains to do less regularly. Agree that bathrooms (we have 3!), and kitchen are top priority.

• Reply by Marica

Eek, and yes, anything “watery” needs checking regularly

• Reply by Gill B

I keep my bathrooms and kitchen clean anyway (well its only me now, but it was only ever two of us anyway). I clean the inside of my windows when I notice they need doing, but frames are wiped down as part of the regular clean.

Things don’t really get that dirty but then I don’t have an open fire.

• Reply by Marica

I think for us , although not on a main road at all, it is residential dust and traffic that creates some of the dirt in here even if we don’t have the windows open much.

• Reply by Gill B

Yes of course. Not as built up here I guess, and there is only me. Also the age of the property can make a difference to. It just has to be healthy clean at the end of the day, or clean enough for you to feel comfortable in.

• Reply by Gill B

I have never spring cleaned in my life. My home is clean enough to be honest, although I guess it wouldn’t do any harm to empty the wardrobe completely and put it all back again!

• Reply by Marica

Lucky for you that the dust bunnies don’t visit! I think I clean fairly well and then one appears with some dog fur still in it, my lovely dog died 3 years ago!

• Reply by Gill B

I had to google that Marica. I have never heard of the dust bunnies before. Of course, they probably really appear on carpet although I don’t have that in hall, kitchen or bathrooms. I guess they dislodge from under furniture.

• Reply by Marica

Yes, this is what I found, Gill. I think I have pulled everything out and cleaned and then they appear a few days later like a visiting unwanted salesman!

• Reply by Gill B

ha ha ha Marica

• Reply by Carol.L

If I could be granted one luxury it would be a walk in wardrobe Gill. I love watching all the home improvement shows on tv ad they always look so organised.

• Reply by Gill B

Masters of Flip with their ridiculously big wardrobes? I like the idea of seeing what is in my wardrobe for easy selection – and if I were to have a cull I probably could! I reckon they don’t stay that organised. I reckon it eventually becomes cluttered because you don’t have to chuck anything out!

• Reply by Josie The Black Country Wench

We have two walk in wardrobes in our house. We were suppose to down size when we moved, However we saw this 3 bedroomed house and fell in love with it. We decided that we would make one into a walk in wardrobe and storage room. No more climbing in the loft for the Christmas Decorations. The walk in wardrobe in our bedroom was supposed to be a ensuite but the previous owners decided not to do it and we don’t really need an ensuite so we have left it has is.

• Reply by Carol.L

Great idea Josie! Two walk in wardrobes…now there’s posh!😊😊

Well Carol, I love it never been called posh before Just call me Mrs Bucket 🤣🤣

• Reply by Carol.L

Ok Hyacinth , will do!

• Reply by NYC to UK

Once a year I wash all the blinds and curtains, otherwise just normal cleaning.

• Reply by Anonymous User (no longer active)

Well I have a walk in wardrobe. It’s my world to wonder land. Just need to check out some old stuff always to charity shops with some nice new stuff when shops open.
      As for spring cleaning I’ve been told by those who know me that I’m a hypochondriac to when it comes to cleaning everything almost once or twice a week even now I’m on my own
      And candles or nice air diffusers in ever room . My husband hated those ( o well he’s gonna now so I can put in ) 😂

• Reply by Carol.L

I envy you the walk in wardrobe! I love having candles burning too, creates a nice ambiance.

• Reply by Gill B

I love a clean home and if its what keeps you feeling good, and you love doing it every several times a week- that’s great!

• Reply by Anonymous User (no longer active)

And when ever guest come it always a big cook up always enough for take away✅

• Reply by Gill B

.. and you food looks delicious. I reckon you know all about hospitality. If I have anyone round (back in the day) I probably go into crisis mode!

• Reply by Sue47

I don’t spring clean but have a vacuum cleaner and cleaning kit upstairs as I have to vac the bed every day. Darned cat! After that I give everything a clean, only takes 10 minutes or so (mostly on the bathroom) then upstairs is done before breakfast. I’ve turned the third bedroom into my dressing room so mine isn’t cluttered up with furniture. The downstairs is given a thorough clean every month then kept clean and tidy every day, and my lovely daughter brings me fresh flowers every week which always brighten up the rooms. Windows inside twice a year, a nice man does the outside every 6 weeks. But as we head into Spring quite a lot will be overlooked in favour of the garden….

• Reply by Carol.L

It sounds like you have the perfect cleaning routine there sparrer and I agree with the fresh flowers touch, what a difference they make!

• Reply by Gill B

Sounds perfect .. you have it all so organised too. How wonderful that your daughter gives you flowers every week. So thoughtful.

• Reply by Sue47

I think it’s partly because my Mum had to work full time and we all mucked in at weekends so we could go out for a drive and a picnic or whatever on Sundays after church, and partly through running a residential home for many years and having to be super-organised. Now retired I work for a charity at home and some old habits die hard but I love the free time it gives me to spend with family whose bubble I’m in. As for the flowers, my daughter and her family are so thoughtful and kind, I know how fortunate I am to have them nearby.

• Reply by Kitty1969

I am the same, house in the winter, garden in the spring!

• Reply by Kitty1969

I tend to keep on top of it but often just for the sake of it have a go-mad cleaning spree. We do have a dog and three cats plus a very messy son so it never stays tidy for long.

While off furloughed I have become a bit obsessive about cleaning. Today I have blasted behind the kitchen radiator with a cool hairdryer ( yuk) and have been on my hands and knees cleaning the kitchen tiles that are textured and the mop never seems to clean properly. I have a cleaning kit upstairs and make it a habit to wipe the shower screen door down with a microfibre cloth after a shower so I hardly ever have to clean it.

• Reply by Carol.L

Yes Kitty, it’s when you leave things for too long that they really become a chore!

• Reply by Sue47

Kitty1969 cleaning behind the radiators with a cool hairdryer sounds a good idea. I’d not thought of that. I’ll give the dressing room one a blast after I’ve dried my hair in the morning 🙂

• Reply by Mojomouse

Not sure what I can add to the discussion. I retired in January, prior to that whilst working I always cleaned two rooms after work so that my weekends were my own, My own take on a HIIT class – it was cheaper than paying for the gym and so much easier on the knees. However all that said since retirement, I’ve completely gone to pot. No routine or inclination anymore. I suppose its that realisation of how much time was wasted having a close and intimate relationship with Ms Duster, Mr Sheen and the vacuum. So will I bother with the spring clean this year – who knows, it’s anyone’s guess! I think with lockdown, I’m in the house constantly and I don’t see the dirt or clutter anymore. Either that or my specs really need cleaning……

• Reply by Carol.L

Well I’ve unintentionally had a real work out today doing a good Spring clean of our living room. We were having a new carpet fitted so had to move all the furniture out and it was the ideal opportunity to give everywhere a thorough bottoming! I feel absolutely shattered now! 😤😇

• Reply by Mojomouse

Carol, you’ll be feeling it in a couple of days – but that grin will last longer…..

• Reply by Carol.L

I’ve already soaked my weary limbs in a good, long bath Mojomouse!

I love cleaning and every year I used to empty all the cupboards wipe inside and put everything back. Once a month I would move furniture and clean behind it all. Rugs and carpets would get shampooed and curtains taken down and washed. When the inside was all done I would start outside. Not this year though it will all be getting a miss. Dave does a great job of keeping on top of all the general cleaning jobs that I can’t do at this moment in time.
      The only thing that I will be doing is looking through my vast wardrobe and checking for any kind of insect visitation and then treating if necessary and replace all the moth proofers. Oh the joys of having vintage clothing but I would not have it any other way.
      I am surprised that I love cleaning so much after I started so young, my mom took me into the best room when I was six gave me a can of polish and two rags. She said see the shiny floor it is now your responsibility to keep it shiny. Not the whole floor just the surround. All my housekeeping skills I have from mom, she taught me well.

• Reply by Carol.L

I can’t say I LOVE cleaning but see it as a necessary evil I want to live in a nice house. A bit of dust doesn’t bother me though if I’ve got better things to do. One chore I hate more than any other is ironing so do as little as possible!

I hate ironing too. Like you I do as little as possible. I consider my daughter to be slightly mad in that department. She loves ironing.

• Reply by sandra1958

My mam taught me well too….always carry a duster keep brush and shovel handy. I love cleaning. Only thing I do for spring cleaning pull chest / wardrobes out, every where else I clean as I see it…never have a certain day for things to clean, tried to learn daughter this but….no….once a week mother. Lol hate windows…..look worse after sun hits them.

• Reply by Carol.L

Crumpled up newspaper is supposed to work well for cleaning windows but never tried it myself!

• Reply by sandra1958

I’ve heard that too will have to give it a try. Can’t make my windows look any worse. Lol.

• Reply by Carol.L

Let me know if it works…and then you can come and do mine! 😁😂

• Reply by Lovetohelp

Wow you guys are amazing….I absolutely hate cleaning but needs must… haha. Since my health issue few years ago, find it harder, so have to pace myself. My adult son does help a lot. We do suddenly get to certain times of the year and start decluttering and spring cleaning. This Easter holidays, I didn’t need to work, so we were very productive. Just been looking for a window cleaner and someone to take stuff to the dump yard for me. Try to keep on top of things but not always easy.

• Reply by Carol.L

I’m really glad your son mucks in to help..,no pun intended! 😂

• Reply by Lovetohelp

Thanks. Ohhh haha

• Reply by Mojomouse

Oh no, Ive blitzed the kitchen! Aaarghhhhh
      But it does look sparkly and clean and yesterday the floor dried in no time. You can tell how bad things were, I had to clean the steamer before I plugged in and used (LOL 😂)
      So now I’m off to tackle the lounge. I’m not bothering with the windows – they are being replaced in a month. Does that make me a rebel?????
      Happy days all

• Reply by Carol.L

Your halo is positively gleaming MOJOMOUSE, did you use Pledge on it? 😇😇😇

• Reply by Marica

Since you posted this Carol, and others have commented, I have started to notice the cobwebs on the ceiling corners. How many flippin’ siders are inhabiting my house I ask!! Time for the fluffy long duster……

• Reply by Carol.L

Talking of cobwebs Marica I was ashamed when we moved the furniture out this week before the new carpet was fitted, the cobwebs behind the sideboard reminded me of MISS HAVISHAM’S room! no spiders though! 😔😲

• Reply by Marica

I know , Carol, they go into hiding I think . Hope the carpet went in ok

• Reply by Carol.L

yes, it’s made a huge difference Marica!

• Reply by Mojomouse

Carol you have just got rid of the cobwebs and now new carpet – you’ll be plagued with carpet shedding fluff for weeks. New nesting material me thinks for our little house arachnids…..

• Reply by Carol.L

🤔🙄😮

• Reply by Marica

That is scary!!!!

• Reply by Vicky1970

OCD I’m afraid so it’s a big clean each month inc moving furniture dusting lamp shades and cleaning windows Then twice a year it every cupboard emptied and cleaned as well as top of cupboards.

Love a clean house.

• Reply by Carol.L

Very commendable Vicky!

• Reply by Shirlann

Always have good intentions to but not got round to it yet 😏😁

• Reply by Carol.L

IT will keep Shirlann 😂😂

• Reply by Team Rest Less

Here’s something that might inspire anyone who’s doing a spring clean clear out – make some money at the same time!

https://restless.co.uk/money/everyday-finance/how-to-make-money-from-your-clutter/

Add