Home Forums General Do you have any irrational fears or phobias?

• Do you have any irrational fears or phobias?

I am absolutely terrified of mice and rats, think it’s just that awful scratching sound their feet make and those long string like tails. UGH!! the very thought makes me shudder.🐀🐀🐁🐁

Posted by Carol.L
    • Reply by annie beth

I’m absolutely terrified of tower blocks, 10 storeys and I get mild panic, 12 storeys and have to move fast, over that and I’m a complete wreck, it’s not quite so bad if there’s only one, but when there’s several it’s absolute torture, had it for years, never been abroad because there’s always tower blocks, it’s looking up at them, whether near or far,

• Reply by Carol.L

Oh you poor thing! do you mean just looking at them or actually having to go inside one in a lift for example?

• Reply by annie beth

Hi carol,it’s actually looking at them,pure terror, strange thing is if I was unconscious and came round inside a tower block I would just about be able to cope with being in a tower block, but I’d have to be knocked unconscious again before I came out and moved out of sight of it, whether that be 300yards away or a mile away, so difficult to explain as I know it sounds so stupid, you say you like crafts,any in particular? and you do keep fit ,I do yoga and learning Tai chi on you tube since retiring, have a nice day🌝

• Reply by Carol.L

OH that must be truly terrifying fear ANNIE BETH. Do you have any idea what triggered it? Yes,I was really into different fitness classes until I had a bad fall last summer and shattered my wrist.it really knocked my confidence but I have recently started doing Qi Gong following youTube videos as a gentle way back into exercise. As for crafts I can crochet, knit, did cross stitch till it got too tiring on my eyes but most enjoy just making ‘stuff’ out of odds and ends! what about you? DM me if youprefer than posting on this thread.

• Reply by Alive

Airplane. I do like to travel visit other countries but don’t like flying at all have nightmare days before the longest flight I had was for 8 hours.

• Reply by Carol.L

That is such a shame if it ruins part of a holiday Alive.Have you tried asking your GP for any pills to calm your nerves before a flight?

• Reply by Alive

Yes but they don’t really work me

• Reply by Carol.L

😒😒

• Reply by Josie The Black Country Wench

Oh such a shame. I used to be like that then I decided that I would pay for airport lounge and extra leg room seats . I don’t know why but they seem to make me calmer. Still don’t like air travel though. You are not alone I think there are many people like it.

• Reply by Kitty1969

Blood tests and wasps.
      I had a blood test when I was 13 and fainted 3 times that started my phobia. It used to be injections as well but I got over that one. I have had hypnotherapy for it, v. expensive but apart from the first time after its not worked. Fed up with the number of people that tell me I am silly because of my phobia.
      My phobia of wasps comes from my mum who used to scream whenever one came near her.

• Reply by Carol.L

Phobias aren’t silly at all Kitty! I was always a fainter with blood tests too but I have grown out of that and my fear of needles.

• Reply by Kitty1969

I can’t even go to a blood test, I’ve been known to faint while my daughter was having one while I sat in the waiting room
          I could honestly murder the person trying to get near me with the test
          Last time they gave me mild sedation which helped.

• Reply by Marica

If it is any consolation, Kitty, sometimes blood tests cause a drop in blood pressure especially if the person doing the test is unsure or cannot find the vein. I have ended up in A & E as I passed out after a few of these and then threw up on coming round!!

• Reply by Carol.L

it’s more common than I thought then!

• Reply by Marica

Yes, it can be , Carol

• Reply by AdrianSF

I’m 6’2″ and 18 stone and I’m absolutely terrified of big moths ! I will not sleep in the same room as one. Horrid things, love butterflies though.

• Reply by Carol.L

Isn’t it strange how it’s often little things that scare us the most?

• Reply by Carol.L

I really feel for you Kitty, let’s hope you don’t have to go for too many.

• Reply by Dreamyboy

Wasps – do a silly flappy dance if one comes near, no reason, never been stung.
      Raw meat – hate and loathe the texture, makes me squeal like a little girl!

• Reply by Carol.L

With you on the raw meat dreamyboy, especially things like liver or kidneys! I’ve never been stung by a wasp or bee either but I think we all keep our distance just in case!

• Reply by Shirlann

Was attacked by swarm of wasps😬head was covered in stings cannot bear to hear any buzzing noises now!

• Reply by Carol.L

Yikes! really scary!

• Reply by jleg

I fear the (imaginary) bed monster which will grab any limb I leave overhanging the side of my bed

• Reply by Carol.L

Oh yes! When I was little I used to check in the wardrobe and under the bed every night to make sure no one was hiding there😁

• Reply by Shirlann

Answering or making phone calls 😏

• Reply by Carol.L

Oh that must be a tough one to deal with Shirlann

• Reply by wolvesinwales

Yes me too, Shirlann

• Reply by Shirlann

Feel so stupid and don’t know what it is 🙄no one else in family has and don’t understand what the problem ☹️either feel so jealous how they can just use their phones so easy!

• Reply by Colin in Kent

This is going to be something that goes back to unconscious memories. It may not even be something that has anything to do with phones or phone calls, because the mind undergoes transference when confronted with things it finds unacceptable, and substitutes common things for whatever caused the trauma. But you’d need some therapy to uncover what it might be.

• Reply by Marica

So how many people have had, or would have , hypnotherapy to help this? And do they think it would work?

I made myself hold a snake once although it was controlled circumstances, so now I have no trouble , I just psyched myself to do it

• Reply by Carol.L

Yes.Marica, I’ve often wondered if hypnotherapy would help overcome phobias.

• Reply by Marica

I have not found it helped me with confidence to drive long distances. I have done so when younger but I think it suddenly became stressful plus breaking down a few times. Now I a really worried about driving somewhere I don’t know . I tried hypnotherapy but it made no difference. I guess it depends who is giving the hypnotherapy of course

• Reply by Carol.L

I don’t like driving at night now or in any unfamiliar places.

• Reply by Marica

I think we must all get like this as we get older. Maybe we don’t feel that desperate need to get to something exciting any more. I also think our eyesight deteriorates. I remember coming back some years ago a motorway in the dark and thought some lights ahead were road works, my brain could not compute what was there . Very worrying

• Reply by Carol.L

Very scary!

• Reply by Shirlann

Don’t like driving by myself in case anything goes wrong 🙄🤔

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I’ve always hated driving, my wife does 90% of ours. Both myself and my brother get very anxious over parking at the end of it, for whatever reason. Again, I’m not sure what it is but we really lack confidence. I also, like yourself, have a lot of trouble interpreting what I’m seeing at night, or even making out the line of the road on poorly lit motorways. And when it’s raining it’s an absolutely nightmare.

• Reply by Carol.L

Yes Colin, and I also hate driving when the sun is at just the wrong angle and blinds you!

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I remember a terrifying journey once when I had a friend from LA staying with me, and offered to drive him back to Gatwick. It was 3am, and torrential rain by the time I was driving back. Visibility almost zero, and I remember driving into what seemed like a lake on the motorway, and skidded all over the road. I hadn’t seen it at all and I think what saved me was the fact there was no other traffic. Hate it!

I had to give up driving at night many years ago, I just cannot see if a car comes towards me. I’m ok in the day.

I did the same thing with a tarantula. I was a Youth Worker and the animal man came to the club. Some of the so called really tough boys said they were scared of spiders. So foolishly I said I will hold one if you will afterwards. So there was no backing out, I did it and now I don’t mind big spiders like you Marica with snakes it has to be in controlled circumstances. Still run a mile, screaming from small fast moving spiders though.

• Reply by Carol.L

Mind over matter Josie!

Sure was Carol, I was shaking all over. It just sat in my hand, it was grey with pink knees and furry, quite pretty colours.

• Reply by Marica

Haha, I know what you mean, Jo. I could not pick up a house spider though I have been known to name them in the past! 😜🕸️🕸️🕷️

• Reply by Carol.L

You won’t be getting one as a pet then Marica?🕷

• Reply by Marica

Sounds about right, Carol!

Attachments:
        • Reply by Carol.L

ha ha!

I named one Harry. He lived in the bath in the Prefab at Avoncroft museum. I told him we would get on fine as long as he stayed in the bath. He really used to freak the visitors out.

• Reply by Carol.L

Without my specs on I read that name as HAIRY and thought it very apt! 😂

• Reply by Marica

😀 Add Potter on and he could have been called Aragog! (you have to know the HP films!)

🤣🤣🤣

• Reply by Andybart

No none. I think being in the Army for a while helped though….

• Reply by Carol.L

I take my hat off to you then, you must have nerves of steel!

• Reply by Andybart

No sense no feeling 😀

• Reply by Carol.L

ha ha! I’m sure that’s not true Andy!😁

• Reply by Simon Carwithen

Yes. I tend to suffer from imposter syndrome. Despite being told regularly that I am an expert in my chosen field and well respected, I still experience self-doubt on a regular basis. I suppose this counts as irrational!

• Reply by Marica

I have read about that too, Simon. It is good if you stay in the jobs though. When younger, I got really god jobs, started off well then I seemed to sabotage the job in some way and left. I always thought the job was too good to be true and looked for something wrong with it . The ones I stuck at either moved location or closed down!

• Reply by Carol.L

Do you think that stemmed from feelings of low self esteem Marica or not?

• Reply by PhilB

Ok, I have no problems with mice, rats, heights, flying, spaces large or small. Mine is butter or any equivalent spreadable item. Makes me want to heave and I hate it. Don’t have any in the house. I shudder just typing the word!

• Reply by Carol.L

That is an unusual one Phil. Do you just have bread or toast dry then?

• Reply by PhilB

Yup! I’m ok if the stuff is *in* something, like a cake (I just mentally block that out), but as for on bread, in sandwiches etc – nope, can’t be done. Had this phobia since I was 5 or 6.

• Reply by Andy Paddles

According to the Internet (and consequently I see no reason to doubt this whatsoever) this phobia is known as Voutyrophobia.

How are you with Peanut Butter Phil – because apparently that’s a separate phobia altogether!

• Reply by PhilB

Good to know, thank you. There’s a couple of other people I know who have the same phobia, so it’s not entirely unknown. As for peanut butter that’s fine, love it!

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Then you’ll be relieved to hear that you don’t suffer from arachibutyrophobia!

• Reply by PhilB

Is that the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth?

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Yes I believe it is – I’m sure we must have imported that from across the Atlantic!

• Reply by Jay Taylor

Hi I am absolutely terrified of dogs and find this so very embarrassing.
      However, last week my friend came over for a walk with her baby dog and for the first time was able to walk almost comfortably with a dog and was brave enough to touch.
      Feeling quite proud of my self.
      (BUT still not brave enough to be around other dogs – strange)

• Reply by Carol.L

Well done, that must have taken a lot of courage on your part, if you make friends with the puppy it might help you to be less afraid of other dogs.

• Reply by Jay Taylor

Thank you, have to admit I was very worried before they arrived.
      I really hope regular walks with my friend will help me to be less afraid

• Reply by Margaret B

I don’t like spiders but don’t want to kill them, just put them outside but I can’t do that myself. Also wobbly ladders

• Reply by Carol.L

lots of people share your fear of spiders Margaret, very understandable when you think about it!

• Reply by Margaret B

Yes, Carol, but I have found this year that putting conkers in every corner of the house has kept them out so far!

• Reply by Carol.L

I’ve heard of people doing that Margaret and glad you find it works!Wonder what’s so special about conkers that keeps spiders away?

You can buy a spary that you spray round windows and doors that comes from horse chestnuts, conkers, that keeps them out too. I have conkers on my bedroom windows and have not, fingers crossed had any spiders in the bedroom yet.

• Reply by Angie…141258

Hi carol I would say that my irrational phobias are snakes, spiders. That is big spiders. Just not for me.

• Reply by Carol.L

Snakes aren’t my thing either Angie,it’s the way they slither so quickly i think!🐍🐍

• Reply by Angie…141258

I can say I don’t like small enclosures to many people around. There is many phobias that people have and we never understand why.

• Reply by Carol.L

Yes Angie, I can imagine nothing worse than being trapped in a lift!

• Reply by PeteQ60

Mine is noisy eating. It makes me rage. I have an almost uncontrollable instinctive reaction to it, totally irrational.

• Reply by Carol.L

Agree Pete, very off putting, especially in a cinema when you’re trying to watch a film! 😤

• Reply by PeteQ60

Also… A really weird one is my mate’s. Tomato Ketchup, if we’re out for a drink (a fond memory!) and someone puts some on their food he will turn white, and start shaking and sweating and usually has to get away as soon as he can!

• Reply by Carol.L

That’s s weird one, not heard of that reaction to ketchup before!

• Reply by Noel29

Eight legged things.Can’t even type the word or say it.

• Reply by Carol.L

Now i wonder what that might be…. octopus?😂😂

• Reply by HappyDaze

Now spiders I can deal with! Both my daughters were petrified so good job I can pick them up in my hand so they couldn’t escape under the sofa or all hell would let loose. But any sight of a Snake omg they are so evil looking I have to look away. Hate the thought that people keep them as pets and then they escape!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Reply by Carol.L

YES! I remember reading of a lady going to the loo and finding an escaped pet snake lurking in the toilet bowl! that freaked me out for days! 🐍🐍

• Reply by HappyDaze

😱 I would need resuscitation! Can’t even stand cartoon snakes or play ones … just the shape the look of them turns me inside out.

• Reply by juleswalker

I don’t like rats. However, I’m very fond of mice. They’re really cute! It’s rats’ tails that make me shudder, though I’m OK with water rats!

• Reply by Carol.L

oh RATS are my number one fear and even mice scare me!🐀🐀🐁🐁

• Reply by VFP

I used to be scared of spiders until many years ago I watched a children’s animated film that had a lovely, friendly spider in it – I think it was called Charlotte’s web. I had never seen anything positive about spiders before! I was never frightened of them again.

• Reply by Carol.L

That’s a lovely book Viv and luckily spiders don’t scare me anyway! Maybe a story about a lovely rat would help me get over my fear of them…but I doubt it!

• Reply by VFP

When I first came to England I lived with my (ex) husband in a house owned by the company he worked for, in Ipswich. The house, along with all the houses along the canal had resident rats and when we left the kitchen to go into the living room, we could hear the rats scuttling around. One day my husband brought me some Belgian chocolates and I left the unopened box on the kitchen table. When I returned, there was a hole in the box and some chocolates eaten 😲.They had got onto the table 😨 We also found that they were able to go up the stairs 😱. So glad to leave that house 🙄

• Reply by Carol.L

OMG Viv! that really does not bear thinking about!

• Reply by VFP

I hope I haven’t given you nightmares!

• Reply by Noel29

We had domesticated pet rats.They were adorable and intelligent.

• Reply by wolvesinwales

I also hate being close to Rats and Mice but am not bothered by spiders at all. I have what could be described as a Phobia of speaking on the phone, I really don’t know why but I will try any other form of communication rather than use the phone to talk to people.

• Reply by Carol.L

Glad I’m not alone with the rats/mice phobia! I expect you text people quite a lot then WIW?

• Reply by wolvesinwales

Yes I’m a serial texter 😁

• Reply by c.l.saunders

Dogs.

• Reply by Noel29

Love dogs.

• Reply by Carol.L

Any particular breed or just all dogs?

• Reply by c.l.saunders

All of them. I was attacked as a child. I could have been mauled to death, but it just took a large piece out of my leg.

• Reply by Carol.L

I’m very sorry to hear that and your fear of dogs is perfectly understandable.

• Reply by c.l.saunders

Thank you for that. Not many people understand. I actually had one man say he hated me.

• Reply by Carol.L

That must have been a truly terrifying experience for you as a child!

• Reply by c.l.saunders

It was. I was just 9. Have kept away from dogs ever since. It doesn’t make me popular.

• Reply by paxton1974

Well i was 58 before i could fly & then i took on 11 1/2 hour flight to met the most beautiful lady .

• Reply by Carol.L

Good on you!

• Reply by Shirlann

Worms☹️

• Reply by Stormy

I am totally and absolutely terrified of feathers. Completely hyperventilated and then slept for 2 hours when a sparrow touched my leg.

• Reply by Carol.L

Does that mean you are scared of all birds Stormy?

• Reply by Stormy

I love to look at the birds in the garden, but only look! I even avoid stepping on a feather, so terrified of them. Birds would be lovely if they were bald!

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I don’t like heights, and suffer from vertigo, but I think it really stems from my ‘megalophobia’, which is a fear of large objects, or objects which are larger than they should be for their surroundings. I think it stems from lying on my back when I was a child and staring at the sky. Eventually, I would be overwhelmed with dizziness and felt the whole world was shifting under me, and got the same feeling if I stood at the foot of a large tree and looked up. I get the same feelings of dizziness and nausea now standing at the foot of a cliff or seeing photos of huge objects next to small ones. Cruise ships, giant engineering projects, giant statues, all make me feel sick and like I’m going to fall over.

• Reply by Carol.L

I don’t like heights either Colin but don’t suffer from vertigo or the feelings you experience whch must have been pretty terrifying as a child.

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I was probably fine, I don’t remember ever going near heights as a child, so it was more the large objects. But there are far more debilitating fears that people suffer from, so I count myself lucky.

Add