Home Forums General Do you have any irrational fears or phobias?

Carol.L Posted 1 year ago
Do you have any irrational fears or phobias?

I am absolutely terrified of mice and rats, think it’s just that awful scratching sound their feet make and those long string like tails. UGH!! the very thought makes me shudder.🐀🐀🐁🐁

2 likes & 189 replies
    • jleg 7th April 2021 at 2:41 am

I fear the (imaginary) bed monster which will grab any limb I leave overhanging the side of my bed

• Carol.L 7th April 2021 at 8:37 am

Oh yes! When I was little I used to check in the wardrobe and under the bed every night to make sure no one was hiding there😁

• Shirlann 7th April 2021 at 10:58 am

Answering or making phone calls 😏

• Carol.L 7th April 2021 at 11:10 am

Oh that must be a tough one to deal with Shirlann

• Deleted User 9th April 2021 at 3:51 pm

Yes me too, Shirlann

• Shirlann 10th April 2021 at 11:31 am

Feel so stupid and don’t know what it is 🙄no one else in family has and don’t understand what the problem ☹️either feel so jealous how they can just use their phones so easy!

• Colin in Kent 11th April 2021 at 1:53 pm

This is going to be something that goes back to unconscious memories. It may not even be something that has anything to do with phones or phone calls, because the mind undergoes transference when confronted with things it finds unacceptable, and substitutes common things for whatever caused the trauma. But you’d need some therapy to uncover what it might be.

• Marica 7th April 2021 at 3:23 pm

So how many people have had, or would have , hypnotherapy to help this? And do they think it would work?

I made myself hold a snake once although it was controlled circumstances, so now I have no trouble , I just psyched myself to do it

• Carol.L 7th April 2021 at 3:45 pm

Yes.Marica, I’ve often wondered if hypnotherapy would help overcome phobias.

• Marica 7th April 2021 at 5:33 pm

I have not found it helped me with confidence to drive long distances. I have done so when younger but I think it suddenly became stressful plus breaking down a few times. Now I a really worried about driving somewhere I don’t know . I tried hypnotherapy but it made no difference. I guess it depends who is giving the hypnotherapy of course

• Carol.L 7th April 2021 at 5:50 pm

I don’t like driving at night now or in any unfamiliar places.

• Marica 7th April 2021 at 7:27 pm

I think we must all get like this as we get older. Maybe we don’t feel that desperate need to get to something exciting any more. I also think our eyesight deteriorates. I remember coming back some years ago a motorway in the dark and thought some lights ahead were road works, my brain could not compute what was there . Very worrying

• Carol.L 7th April 2021 at 7:58 pm

Very scary!

• Shirlann 10th April 2021 at 11:32 am

Don’t like driving by myself in case anything goes wrong 🙄🤔

• Colin in Kent 11th April 2021 at 1:55 pm

I’ve always hated driving, my wife does 90% of ours. Both myself and my brother get very anxious over parking at the end of it, for whatever reason. Again, I’m not sure what it is but we really lack confidence. I also, like yourself, have a lot of trouble interpreting what I’m seeing at night, or even making out the line of the road on poorly lit motorways. And when it’s raining it’s an absolutely nightmare.

• Carol.L 11th April 2021 at 2:00 pm

Yes Colin, and I also hate driving when the sun is at just the wrong angle and blinds you!

• Colin in Kent 11th April 2021 at 2:09 pm

I remember a terrifying journey once when I had a friend from LA staying with me, and offered to drive him back to Gatwick. It was 3am, and torrential rain by the time I was driving back. Visibility almost zero, and I remember driving into what seemed like a lake on the motorway, and skidded all over the road. I hadn’t seen it at all and I think what saved me was the fact there was no other traffic. Hate it!

• Josie The Black Country Wench 10th April 2021 at 4:48 pm

I had to give up driving at night many years ago, I just cannot see if a car comes towards me. I’m ok in the day.

• Josie The Black Country Wench 10th April 2021 at 4:47 pm

I did the same thing with a tarantula. I was a Youth Worker and the animal man came to the club. Some of the so called really tough boys said they were scared of spiders. So foolishly I said I will hold one if you will afterwards. So there was no backing out, I did it and now I don’t mind big spiders like you Marica with snakes it has to be in controlled circumstances. Still run a mile, screaming from small fast moving spiders though.

• Andybart 7th April 2021 at 7:37 pm

No none. I think being in the Army for a while helped though….

• Andybart 7th April 2021 at 8:19 pm

No sense no feeling 😀

• Simon Carwithen 7th April 2021 at 8:39 pm

Yes. I tend to suffer from imposter syndrome. Despite being told regularly that I am an expert in my chosen field and well respected, I still experience self-doubt on a regular basis. I suppose this counts as irrational!

• Marica 11th April 2021 at 9:35 pm

I have read about that too, Simon. It is good if you stay in the jobs though. When younger, I got really god jobs, started off well then I seemed to sabotage the job in some way and left. I always thought the job was too good to be true and looked for something wrong with it . The ones I stuck at either moved location or closed down!

• Carol.L 11th April 2021 at 9:51 pm

Do you think that stemmed from feelings of low self esteem Marica or not?

• Marica 12th April 2021 at 4:52 pm

Definitely Carol. It took a lot of study in psychology and useful courses to see this. I am loads better now but sadly it did affect my early life. Better to discover this later than never, though but I do have regrets . I know I could have had a better career . But it is all lessons and I should not regret it , it is the realisation that is the key

• Carol.L 12th April 2021 at 5:20 pm

It’s amazing isn’t it how often we’re our own worst enemy, lacking in self confidence and putting ourselves down? I’m just glad that you have come to terms with how you once felt and now know your worth!

• Marica 12th April 2021 at 5:25 pm

Thanks Carol 🙂

• Simon Carwithen 15th April 2021 at 4:56 pm

I’ve just started a new job Marica. The selection process took 7 months and involved some pretty intrusive vetting. I’d never been so stressed and would lie awake at night, anxious and worrying over completely irrational things, such as a parking ticket from years ago disqualifying me. Needless to say those fears were unfounded and I have now started and am loving the new chapter in my career. Interestingly, my mental health nosedived after I was seriously ill 6 years ago. It has taken all this time to come to terms with the resulting condition, but it is now manageable. A move to rural mid-Wales and the new role have done wonders for me, together with CBT. Much much happier and comfortable with who I am.
          I’m glad things have improved, if belatedly, for you Marica. You have certainly had a rough ride and I feel for you.
          Do you have a coping strategy for when things get bad?

• Marica 15th April 2021 at 5:46 pm

You have done so well Simon for getting you where you are now. I am doing OK. I think takes a while for anyone to reach a good place and you have found yours, excellent .

• PhilB 8th April 2021 at 7:21 pm

Ok, I have no problems with mice, rats, heights, flying, spaces large or small. Mine is butter or any equivalent spreadable item. Makes me want to heave and I hate it. Don’t have any in the house. I shudder just typing the word!

• Carol.L 8th April 2021 at 7:26 pm

That is an unusual one Phil. Do you just have bread or toast dry then?

• PhilB 8th April 2021 at 8:32 pm

Yup! I’m ok if the stuff is *in* something, like a cake (I just mentally block that out), but as for on bread, in sandwiches etc – nope, can’t be done. Had this phobia since I was 5 or 6.

• Andy Paddles 11th April 2021 at 11:35 am

According to the Internet (and consequently I see no reason to doubt this whatsoever) this phobia is known as Voutyrophobia.

How are you with Peanut Butter Phil – because apparently that’s a separate phobia altogether!

• PhilB 11th April 2021 at 12:45 pm

Good to know, thank you. There’s a couple of other people I know who have the same phobia, so it’s not entirely unknown. As for peanut butter that’s fine, love it!

• Andy Paddles 11th April 2021 at 1:04 pm

Then you’ll be relieved to hear that you don’t suffer from arachibutyrophobia!

• PhilB 11th April 2021 at 1:31 pm

Is that the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth?

• Andy Paddles 11th April 2021 at 2:13 pm

Yes I believe it is – I’m sure we must have imported that from across the Atlantic!

• Jay Taylor 8th April 2021 at 7:22 pm

Hi I am absolutely terrified of dogs and find this so very embarrassing.
      However, last week my friend came over for a walk with her baby dog and for the first time was able to walk almost comfortably with a dog and was brave enough to touch.
      Feeling quite proud of my self.
      (BUT still not brave enough to be around other dogs – strange)

• Carol.L 8th April 2021 at 7:31 pm

Well done, that must have taken a lot of courage on your part, if you make friends with the puppy it might help you to be less afraid of other dogs.

• Jay Taylor 8th April 2021 at 7:47 pm

Thank you, have to admit I was very worried before they arrived.
      I really hope regular walks with my friend will help me to be less afraid

• Deleted User 8th April 2021 at 9:34 pm

I don’t like spiders but don’t want to kill them, just put them outside but I can’t do that myself. Also wobbly ladders

• Carol.L 8th April 2021 at 9:40 pm

lots of people share your fear of spiders Margaret, very understandable when you think about it!

• Deleted User 8th April 2021 at 10:23 pm

Yes, Carol, but I have found this year that putting conkers in every corner of the house has kept them out so far!

• Carol.L 8th April 2021 at 10:26 pm

I’ve heard of people doing that Margaret and glad you find it works!Wonder what’s so special about conkers that keeps spiders away?

• Josie The Black Country Wench 10th April 2021 at 4:51 pm

You can buy a spary that you spray round windows and doors that comes from horse chestnuts, conkers, that keeps them out too. I have conkers on my bedroom windows and have not, fingers crossed had any spiders in the bedroom yet.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th April 2021 at 10:11 pm

Hi carol I would say that my irrational phobias are snakes, spiders. That is big spiders. Just not for me.

• PeteQ60 8th April 2021 at 10:52 pm

Mine is noisy eating. It makes me rage. I have an almost uncontrollable instinctive reaction to it, totally irrational.

• PeteQ60 8th April 2021 at 10:55 pm

Also… A really weird one is my mate’s. Tomato Ketchup, if we’re out for a drink (a fond memory!) and someone puts some on their food he will turn white, and start shaking and sweating and usually has to get away as soon as he can!

• Noel29 9th April 2021 at 2:51 am

Eight legged things.Can’t even type the word or say it.

• HappyDaze 9th April 2021 at 11:58 am

Now spiders I can deal with! Both my daughters were petrified so good job I can pick them up in my hand so they couldn’t escape under the sofa or all hell would let loose. But any sight of a Snake omg they are so evil looking I have to look away. Hate the thought that people keep them as pets and then they escape!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Carol.L 9th April 2021 at 12:20 pm

YES! I remember reading of a lady going to the loo and finding an escaped pet snake lurking in the toilet bowl! that freaked me out for days! 🐍🐍

• HappyDaze 9th April 2021 at 12:51 pm

😱 I would need resuscitation! Can’t even stand cartoon snakes or play ones … just the shape the look of them turns me inside out.

• juleswalker 9th April 2021 at 12:01 pm

I don’t like rats. However, I’m very fond of mice. They’re really cute! It’s rats’ tails that make me shudder, though I’m OK with water rats!

• VFP 9th April 2021 at 12:09 pm

I used to be scared of spiders until many years ago I watched a children’s animated film that had a lovely, friendly spider in it – I think it was called Charlotte’s web. I had never seen anything positive about spiders before! I was never frightened of them again.

• Carol.L 9th April 2021 at 12:26 pm

That’s a lovely book Viv and luckily spiders don’t scare me anyway! Maybe a story about a lovely rat would help me get over my fear of them…but I doubt it!

• VFP 9th April 2021 at 12:39 pm

When I first came to England I lived with my (ex) husband in a house owned by the company he worked for, in Ipswich. The house, along with all the houses along the canal had resident rats and when we left the kitchen to go into the living room, we could hear the rats scuttling around. One day my husband brought me some Belgian chocolates and I left the unopened box on the kitchen table. When I returned, there was a hole in the box and some chocolates eaten 😲.They had got onto the table 😨 We also found that they were able to go up the stairs 😱. So glad to leave that house 🙄

• Carol.L 9th April 2021 at 12:43 pm

OMG Viv! that really does not bear thinking about!

• VFP 9th April 2021 at 12:57 pm

I hope I haven’t given you nightmares!

• Noel29 9th April 2021 at 3:46 pm

We had domesticated pet rats.They were adorable and intelligent.

• Deleted User 9th April 2021 at 12:16 pm

I also hate being close to Rats and Mice but am not bothered by spiders at all. I have what could be described as a Phobia of speaking on the phone, I really don’t know why but I will try any other form of communication rather than use the phone to talk to people.

• c.l.saunders 9th April 2021 at 3:36 pm

Dogs.

• c.l.saunders 9th April 2021 at 6:03 pm

It was. I was just 9. Have kept away from dogs ever since. It doesn’t make me popular.

• paxton1974 9th April 2021 at 8:46 pm

Well i was 58 before i could fly & then i took on 11 1/2 hour flight to met the most beautiful lady .

• Carol.L 9th April 2021 at 8:52 pm

Good on you!

• Shirlann 10th April 2021 at 11:35 am

Worms☹️

• Stormy 10th April 2021 at 7:05 pm

I am totally and absolutely terrified of feathers. Completely hyperventilated and then slept for 2 hours when a sparrow touched my leg.

• Colin in Kent 11th April 2021 at 2:06 pm

I don’t like heights, and suffer from vertigo, but I think it really stems from my ‘megalophobia’, which is a fear of large objects, or objects which are larger than they should be for their surroundings. I think it stems from lying on my back when I was a child and staring at the sky. Eventually, I would be overwhelmed with dizziness and felt the whole world was shifting under me, and got the same feeling if I stood at the foot of a large tree and looked up. I get the same feelings of dizziness and nausea now standing at the foot of a cliff or seeing photos of huge objects next to small ones. Cruise ships, giant engineering projects, giant statues, all make me feel sick and like I’m going to fall over.

• Carol.L 11th April 2021 at 9:48 pm

I don’t like heights either Colin but don’t suffer from vertigo or the feelings you experience whch must have been pretty terrifying as a child.

• Colin in Kent 12th April 2021 at 6:46 am

I was probably fine, I don’t remember ever going near heights as a child, so it was more the large objects. But there are far more debilitating fears that people suffer from, so I count myself lucky.

• Lel 26th April 2021 at 7:59 pm

Omg!!! I am so glad there is a name for my phobia!!!! Thank you Colin!! I thought I was the only person in the entire world that was terrified of disproportionately large objects!!!….. I can’t, for example look at a wind turbine… I could never go whale watching or do a helicopter ride around Mount Rushmore!!! I actually feel my breathing start to increase in panic if I see something that is way too large….. The Titanic on a vast, empty sea terrifies me….. Or being stranded out in the ocean with gigantic whales passing you, and theres nowhere to go…..or storm chasers in their tiny cars whilst a humungous tornado whirls around in front of them!!! still,I can now put a name to this irrational, but very real phobia!!!! Thank you!

• Carol.L 26th April 2021 at 8:08 pm

Now you’ve described your fears so graphically I totally understand how they must make you feel!

• Colin in Kent 26th April 2021 at 8:10 pm

Yes, I struggled for years to put a name to it until I came across a random internet post, and then googling ‘megalophobia’ takes you to all sorts of discussions (and terrifying pictures of enormous statues and ships). Just looking at the google images is enough to make me feel my breath increase.

• Lel 26th April 2021 at 8:12 pm

Now…… I KNOW I shouldnt Google what you just described………. Should I??? Noooooooooooo! I cant!!!

• Colin in Kent 27th April 2021 at 6:51 am

Oh no! Sorry, I hope you didn’t!!!

• Lel 27th April 2021 at 9:10 am

I couldn’t help myself Colin…. I looked and some of the images made me palpitate an hold my phone at arms length….. Why do we do this to ourselves, knowing it terrifies us??? There was a MASSIVE Darth Vader hot air balloon that totally freaked me out! I also watched a short animation “You are on the Titanic and it sinks”!! My God! When half of the ship is upright in complete darkness in a vast Ocean, it made me feel extremely anxious!!! Well…. Its my own fault for being nosey!!! 😊

• Colin in Kent 27th April 2021 at 5:48 pm

I do that Lel. I don’t know why. Something pulling us towards something we know we’ll hate, but we have to do it anyway?! It’s a bizarre call of the horrible.

• JayneMC 13th April 2021 at 9:31 am

Hi Carol, I saw a mouse in my garden last summer and I have completley refused to go out into the garden since. It’s completely ruining my enjoyment of the garden.

• Carol.L 13th April 2021 at 9:36 am

OH Jayne, I’m so glad I’m not the only one! I saw a little fieldmouse in our garage and won’t go in there now. I know exactly how you must feel and am so sorry it’s spoiling the garden for you. Have you ever thought of getting one of those sonic rodent repellers?

• JayneMC 13th April 2021 at 9:49 am

I have spent a small fortune on gadgets including the sonic rodent repeller, birds and the mouse just run next to it 🙈 the sound drives my grandchildren crazy haha.
      Tried CBT but that doesn’t seem to of worked. Difficult to measure as I won’t go out there to check. It’s all so irrational.

• paxton1974 27th April 2021 at 10:54 am

Flies ,Bees ,Wasps hate them going round my head .

• Carol.L 27th April 2021 at 12:14 pm

I’ve been wary of bees since one flew in an open car window and stung me!

• Teresa M 27th April 2021 at 6:12 pm

I hate spiders I just go cold when I see one even though I know they are not going to hurt me

Add