Home Forums General Do you believe that that perfect someone is out th...

Gerard371 Posted 7 months ago
Do you believe that that perfect someone is out there for you, and it’s just a question of finding them?
7 likes & 176 replies
    • Mad Ralph 1st November 2021 at 11:27 pm

I’m sure a “perfect” partner is unobtainable. It’s just not possible.

• Brighton Belle 1st November 2021 at 11:38 pm

Not if they look like the above models…..

• vaughanpauline 2nd November 2021 at 4:58 am

I think Mad Ralph said it perfectly. No one is perfect i have found that to be obvious the older i have got.

Personality im not sure i want to meet anyone, certainly not for a 24/7, relationship.

I dont rule it out but at the moment im enjoying being on my own, working on improving myself and making lots of new friends along the way.

• Gerard371 2nd November 2021 at 7:35 am

When I say perfect partner, I mean it in the sense, that when I look at them, they make me smile. Make me feel loved, and that we can share things together. We can have separate interests and separate friends, but at the end of the day, they are there to come home to.

• BARRIE 9th November 2021 at 2:22 pm

I agree 100% Pauline. Imet my perfect partner in 2011. We enjoyed over 7 years of happiness. We moved house twice and eventually found our forever home in North Yorkshire and moved here in 2018. Unfortunately my partner passed away 7 months later. I’ve not really got close to anyone since. My partner was perfect for me, and she said I was for her. Since she passed away, and with the pandemic, I’ve lived like a hermit. My pilot light goes out more than me, although I have been on an adventurous trek today…to get my booster and flu jabs. I’ve not given up on meeting someone, but my late partner will be a hard act to follow, but never say never. I enjoy my own company, enjoy my life as lonely as it is. I find beeing alone makes one a little selfish, the ability to do what you want, when you want, with whom you want, and most importantly, if you want.

• Gerard371 9th November 2021 at 5:24 pm

I think you can draw a lot of comfort from having met your perfect partner Barrie and she would be a hard act to follow anyway. Being alone is fine, and maybe someday that might change, but for now you’re happy doing what your doing, so all is good.

• Chojo 2nd November 2021 at 6:22 am

I believe some people are destined to be alone. No matter how nice we are, how kind we are it doesn’t matter. I’m pretty sure I’m one of them.

• vaughanpauline 2nd November 2021 at 6:41 am

Maybe we are all alone really? We come into the world alone(multiple births being the exceptions) and we leave it alone.

In between we sometimes choose to share our lives

• Always 2nd November 2021 at 6:43 am

I fall in love all the time. I love people and I think everyone is worth my time as I have never met anyone (yet) who doesn’t bring something new into my life. Granted some people have also bought a good deal of hardship, heart break and negativity, but I believe there are more good people than bad. I don’t think there is one special person for each of us but that special people will come and go and so we must embrace and cherish everyone that crosses our paths be it friendship or relationship for as long as it lasts!

Get me all deep and meaningful at this time of the morning 😂

• Brighton Belle 2nd November 2021 at 7:02 am

I just lurch from one trauma to another….meet nice men on the way…..

• Staying Alive 2nd November 2021 at 7:41 am

Love Your Self First

• Gerard371 2nd November 2021 at 7:45 am

I don’t agree with that Staying Alive, sorry. Better to have heartache, at least you’ve experienced real emotion rather than playing it safe.

• Always 2nd November 2021 at 8:19 am

I think that it’s all a learning experience without the bad how do we really know how good the good is?

However I think loving or at very least liking yourself is very important.

• Gerard371 2nd November 2021 at 7:43 am

My perfect partner questionnaire. Page 13, question 83.

It’s your birthday. I’ve bought you a frying pan off eBay(unused, let’s make that clear). It’s a good one, and will give you years of happy service.
      What birthday present would you buy me?

• Linde 2nd November 2021 at 8:49 am

Good morning all, what a variety of thoughts and outlooks, from positive to the other extreme. I laughed many a time reading your funny comments, it’s cheered me up as well.
      Seriously though, I read long ago( it must be, considering my age!) that there are about 7 possible matches for each person in the world. It does seems there might be some truth in this. Judging by my own life story I found the best match ( instead of saying absolutely perfect) here in Britain, having left a lot behind, a close knit family, a good job, my language, my country , etc. It worked. There was no guarantee it would, but we made it work, and it was a long process of adjustment.
      My daughter, found the “perfect” man on a weekend break in Spain, where she met her future husband, a Spanish American, over in Europe on a break. So anything is possible. Anyway, have a bright day, everyone! Linde

• Wunderwoman 2nd November 2021 at 9:52 am

Different people pass through our lives for different reasons, some stay, some move on. I don’t think you can find the perfect person, because no one is perfect. But the right person who “fits” is out there, just waiting to be found. And it may be a chance meeting, or it might be slow burn.

• Misty2 2nd November 2021 at 10:08 am

I used to think that there was someone out there for that ‘happily ever after’, love, honesty, loyalty, mutual respect and appreciation for eachother, now I’m not so sure. I’ll probably just end up like the mad catwoman from The Simpsons. 😁

• Gerard371 2nd November 2021 at 11:56 am

Who knows Misty. These days my head rules my heart. If I don’t think it’s going to work because of this or that, then I’d sooner stay single.

• Yorkshire Lass 2nd November 2021 at 10:28 am

I met my husband when I was 17. It was literally “our eyes met” moment. We were together for over 50 years until he passed away three years ago. He wasn’t perfect, and certainly neither am I, but we were perfect for each other. If we’d been on a dating site we wouldn’t have matched as we were total opposites!

• Lorraine1 2nd November 2021 at 10:49 am

I think that getting to know someone, both parties able to share and compromise, might well lead to a perfect match….

• Roobs 2nd November 2021 at 11:29 am

After meeting the man in my life for the first time I said to my friend if I’m two sandwiches short of a picnic he’s three
      Long story short we laugh a lot Spend time together and apart
      Don’t discuss certain issues cos it would cause conflict to say the least
      We respect each other Each knows the other isn’t perfect Love each other

• Roobs 2nd November 2021 at 12:08 pm

Oh there’s so much more to it than love

• Brown sugar 2nd November 2021 at 1:26 pm

I believe there is more than one for everyone. I’m in my 2nd marriage. And he’s almost perfect for me now. However, he would not be suitable when i was young and having my family. I think as you get older it may be wise to lower expectations and be more tolerant. I have and i’m happy with my life and have learned to moderate expectations 😀

• Gerard371 2nd November 2021 at 1:37 pm

I’m not sure, should you lower your expectations just to be in a relationship. I’m not frightened of being on my own, or getting sick and having no one there for me. Essentially I want that person in my life not because I need them or don’t like being on my own, but because I want them in it.

• Brown sugar 2nd November 2021 at 3:00 pm

Totally agree! I was very happy to be alone too. In fact that was my plan, didn’t need anyone was happy with just me and the kids. But i’ve found over the years my needs have changed and i’m glad i made that decision to give it a go. I was very adamant and still am that i must be mainly happy or it’s over. I actually assess my life every year to make sure i’m happy. If not i have no qualms about being single.

• Island Hopper 2nd November 2021 at 3:03 pm

Gerard, you sound like I used to be – my advice would be to not overthink the situation, as I have found that doesn’t serve any purpose in the end. What worked for me, after many, many years of looking, was to keep in my head a short list of unacceptable traits/qualities/attributes about whomever I would meet, then remained determined to stick to that and not have my heart swayed by whatever. I do think you need to be prepared to be more tolerant of a partner as we get older, but the unacceptable should remain unacceptable when choosing a partner. It does sound to me as though you should be with someone and not accept being single. Keep looking and hang on to your ‘perfect partner checklist’. Good luck

• Gerard371 2nd November 2021 at 4:09 pm

I’m very tolerant, but from experience I’ve learned that if you have reservations at the start, stop and don’t go any further. That’s why I’m taking things slowly, and I might be in a coffin before I meet the right person, but so be it.

• Island Hopper 2nd November 2021 at 4:15 pm

Absolutely. I had reservations from the start with one relationship, and ignored that to my detriment. Worst mistake I ever made. Follow your heart. EHarmony is great – worked for me.

• Shirlann 2nd November 2021 at 2:03 pm

What they say 🤔and something I tell my single friend who’s looking for someone 🙃

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 2nd November 2021 at 7:00 pm

Definitely, I have found my perfect match twice( both very different personalities) sadly they both passed away far too young

• 1Christy 2nd November 2021 at 8:58 pm

Fate

• Cinderella 2nd November 2021 at 9:01 pm

Yes I definitely think the right person is out there somewhere. As you get older it gets harder because of all things you don’t want in your life because of the bad experiences you have had. I think it’s natural human behaviour to want to share your life with someone you care about and who cares about you. That special person is definitely out there.

• Always 6th November 2021 at 8:42 am

Cinderella you have it easy just drop one of your shoes as you are running home at midnight and your prince will come and find you

X

• Cinderella 7th November 2021 at 4:44 pm

Maybe lol I am forever hopeful that one day finding that special person will happen. With me it’s more like losing a wellie boot than a shoe! Most likely scenario is getting stuck in the mud and being hauled out. 😂😂😂

• Mistyfied63 3rd November 2021 at 10:50 am

I believe that there is that someone special out there for everyone but I am a firm believer that you have to love yourself before you can let anyone else love you. In these days of fast paced life and the greater use of technology, it is more difficult. I started to use online dating websites in 2000. I met 4 very different people. 1 was a definite no (just wanted casual sex – which he didn’t get from me!). 1 was too wrapped up in himself but could be kind and sensitive at times. Another was lovely and we spent 4 years together and moved in with each other but the spark wasn’t there – just a very good friendship that we continue today. The last one I have been with since 2006 and we married in 2011. My husband and I spent about 3 months emailing before our first phone conversation and another 2 weeks before arranging to meet. There was a genuine affection when we did meet because barriers had been broken down in our words to each other and it all felt very natural.

• Gerard371 3rd November 2021 at 11:04 am

I couldn’t email or message for weeks let alone months. I prefer to to talk on the phone, then meet for a coffee. I think within 20 mins you can tell if it will work out.

• BARRIE 4th November 2021 at 9:15 am

Yes. It took me till I was 69, and 3 cheating wives, to find mine, but find her I did.

• Deleted User 4th November 2021 at 9:47 am

Before I saw the whole picture, I was already laughing in anticipation. Then I realized it was a serious question 😐

Ummm… I do believe there are a few lovely people out there for each one of us.
      The question is: are we willing to find them? And if we do are we prepared to Be loved.

I think lots of people don’t know what to do when they are in a healthy relationship. Self sabotage, low self-esteem, fear of the unknown, of being uncomfortable destroy many good things.

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”

Groucho Marx

It’s sick, sad, but so true.

• Gerard371 4th November 2021 at 10:16 am

When am I not serious Mycorner, probably the answer is nearly always, but in this particular case I had my thoughtful head on.
      People are flawed, and from the outside some appear to have everything. I was surprised to hear a few of my female and male work colleagues saying they had left Facebook, because they were sick of the charade of people showing they had perfect lives. To me they were young, attractive and talented, but again it’s how people see themselves, their upbringing and environment play a big part in determining their outlook and expectations.

• adeliza0165 4th November 2021 at 10:59 am

There’s no such thing as the perfect one because we’re all different but similarities help and if someone can make you happy and you make them happy that’s all that counts because that means you’re treating each other well with love, thought, kindness, respect, understanding…

Sometimes that happiness can fade because the other things aren’t happening very well and negative emotions set in, so then you have to talk and compromise. It can be hard because people are the way they are and that’s that. it comes down to your tolerance levels and what someone can tolerate another person can’t.

• Gerard371 4th November 2021 at 11:57 am

Just about to leave work now, and to a certain degree I agree with what you say. But I need to think a bit more, and come back to this.

• Gerard371 4th November 2021 at 3:14 pm

After wandering around Stratford, and heavily influenced by Will’s wit and wisdom, I’m none the wiser when it comes to relationships. I suppose you set out with the best intentions, and hopefully things work out. Ideally don’t rush into a relationship unless your as sure as you can be.

• Brighton Belle 7th November 2021 at 8:24 am

I’d never lower my expectations …….

• Deleted User 7th November 2021 at 6:26 pm

Nooooo

Add