TmonT Posted 7 months ago
DNA

Just watched a programme about finding family through DNA Does anyone have any experience of this

1 like & 6 replies
    • [email protected] 13th November 2021 at 3:18 pm

I had a DNA test done as in Singapore it’s closed adoption so you get no information not even your parents name. It’s easy but obviously it depends if any relatives have done a DNA test through that company. My son did one as well and of course the records came up as a DNA match that I am his parents without linking our information. So yes you can find matches and relatives. However if its regarding adoption. If you register your DNA result on Adopted.com it has DNA register on the people rather than just one company so a bigger record field. But again only if someone has registered with them.

• reliquit 13th November 2021 at 9:46 pm

I took an Ancestry DNA test last year. As expected it turned up dozens of distant “cousins” and one 2nd cousin living in New York State. I contacted her and eventually found that she had been born in Gloucestershire but adopted at birth by an American couple. She knew a few facts about her birth-mother and from that I was able to fill in much of her history for her, and put her in touch with a first cousin of hers who lives in Canada.

Her husband drives a New York yellow cab (which he shares with his brother) and he has offered to personally drive me around if I ever get to New York! Unfortunately I don’t think that’s likely.

• Suz Cambridge 7th January 2022 at 5:42 pm

Ya.. hard especially for Asian adopted children where DNA tests are not common practice, many adopted children like my mum in British Malaya was “informally adopted” or “given away” to local families in 1930s (possible distant relatives) due to poverty or for better life with rich families. I am still wondering how to find out more about my mum’s biological history (my aunties/uncles don’t know much and my grandparents – the ones who adopted my mum – have passed away and I never got the chance to ask them how my mum was adopted). Was thinking of advertising in local media with my mum’s photo to see if anyone knows? (When I asked my mum before she passed away, she told me she never asked about her adoption, taboo to ask in Chinese families).

• Daisychain 7th January 2022 at 7:31 pm

My oldest daughter found her father’s half brothers and thus her natural grandfather. Daughter’s father was a war baby and his mother never told him about his father because of the shame attached to illegitimate births in the mid 20th century. My daughter contacted them with trepidation but they were so pleased to find out about their older half brother and welcomed her into their family.

My daughter and I had discussed contacting them and I just suggested she should give it a try without any expectation.

I’m so glad that attitudes to unmarried mothers has changed and many families seem far more open these days to surprise relatives.

• Daisychain 7th January 2022 at 7:40 pm

My other story concerned a distant cousin who was searching for his paternal grandfather’s line. He contacted me about a our tenuous connection. After much searching, pooling resources and exchanging information with other dna links, we found which part of the family we both related to. I then did loads more searching and found two possible direct ancestors (brothers). Eventually we found our actual connection which turned out to be in Worcestershire in the early 1800s with a common ancestor.

Of course, all this was in the UK and the USA where records are relatively easy to find.

• Suz Cambridge 9th January 2022 at 11:42 am

Ya… I think I may have to resort to putting ads in local news papers (Malaysia/Singapore) to see if anyone responds? they may recognise my mum’s resemblence…..maybe try DNA test as well — I am told we have some Portuguese blood when the Portuguese came to old Malaya to settle there (rubber plantations, where my mum came from from what’s I have gathered from various aunties).

Add