Home Forums General Did you achieve a lifelong dream in your 50s, 60s...

Team Rest Less Posted 3 months ago
Did you achieve a lifelong dream in your 50s, 60s or 70s?

Perhaps you wrote a book/climbed a mountain/got a degree/moved away – anything along these lines.

Please share your successes 🙂

3 likes & 83 replies
    • Alexandra 2013 11th November 2021 at 1:26 pm

50’s walked 13 mountains best best best time ever. 40’s saw the Aurora in Inverness

• lindsay 13th November 2021 at 8:16 am

Ran the London Marathon when I was 50. Also graduated with an ou degree a bit before that.

• Alexandra 2013 13th November 2021 at 8:38 am

Wow another brainy one 😃 👏🏻👏🏻 Plus a marathon, something I know I could never do. Mountains yes runny 😱

• Mgharvey 13th November 2021 at 9:05 am

Went to Antarctica aged 69

• Janetandco 13th November 2021 at 9:46 am

After major surgery on both hips aged 49 and 53 I took up cycling. I cycled 65 miles overnight around London for charity and then did a coast to coast ride across Costa Rica (around 300 miles). I’m thanking a year off work next year and am planning and starting to train for London to Amsterdam, London to Paris and the Irish equivalent of Lands end to John O’ Groats (Mizen head to Malin Head). Finishing off with a charity ride in India.

• Ballybrit 13th November 2021 at 10:27 am

Got my PhD at 60, but just learning how to be happy with who I am is my biggest achievement ever …

• Comfychair 13th November 2021 at 10:58 am

I achieved the dream of saving enough money to be able to stop working at 46. Everything else is icing x

• Daisychain 13th November 2021 at 12:19 pm

Got a history degree after 5.5 years of OU.

• Just me 13th November 2021 at 3:17 pm

I organised my Nile cruise to ensure that I woke up on my 60th cruising down the Nile. and then at 61 I did a trek in Peru for charity and trekked to Machu Picchu.

• Mago 13th November 2021 at 10:38 pm

Wrote & published my book about my Irish heritage, after some 30+ years research & travel to the West of Ireland.
      “The Celtic Fringe” by Nick Geraghty.
      Sold better than I thought, given that it would only really appeal to people of the same name.

• Moya 21st December 2021 at 12:41 am

not necessarily. I imagine it covered the historical context

• MagOireachtaigh 21st December 2021 at 10:18 am

Hi Moya,
          Yes indeed and I delved into the clan dimension of the family too. The Geraghty’s or Clan Na MagOireachtaigh were very active in the province of Connacht, in the West of Ireland & fought under the O’Connor’s who were the last Kings of Connacht.

• Moya 21st December 2021 at 12:34 pm

That looks fabulous. I shall seek it out. My novel is called Basket of Rain. Have you written anything else?

• Mago 31st December 2021 at 7:13 pm

I collated my mother’s memoirs into a tangible read although not for publication & I have a 3rd project in mind for the new year.
          Did you get a copy of my book? as I can see another recent purchase on my Amazon books account. If you did I would love to have any feedback if you enjoyed it.

Kind regards,
          Nick

• Moya 13th November 2021 at 11:25 pm

Got my Masters aged 78

• EricaLovesFlowers 15th November 2021 at 8:39 pm

Yes, I took up singing then 31/2 years later I passed grade 8.
      I left my career and started a new more satisfying career.
      I went on a meditation retreat, was broken and😉😉then remade knowing without a doubt that I am the mistress of my own happiness. 😊🌸

• Moya 15th November 2021 at 9:22 pm

Well done, Erica. I don’t like the sound of being broken. I had a breakdown so I suppose it happened naturally

• EricaLovesFlowers 15th November 2021 at 9:45 pm

Hi what I mean is that my ego was broken. It was a harsh but very spiritual experience that I came out of renewed.
      It’s not very nice at the time, but it was worth it🌸😊

• Amerula 16th November 2021 at 11:53 am

I decided to pursue higher education in my 50s having not completed my high school education. Achieved BA Hons degree at 53 and Master degree at 57.

• Pops McCarthy 19th November 2021 at 12:31 pm

I moved to Spain in my 50s. My 60s, so far I was my mum’s carer. Still a lotta living to do.

• Brad_66 4th December 2021 at 8:58 pm

Bought my first ‘solo’ house 🙌

• Team Rest Less 14th December 2021 at 3:30 pm

Brilliant! Congratulations 🙂

• MikeV 19th December 2021 at 8:16 am

In my 50s I earned a MBA, then a MSc in applied psychology. Also I remarried! In my 60s I got my dream job. And since retiring I have learnt woodworking and now sell what I make. All enriching experiences and hopefully more yet to come.

• Fuff 19th December 2021 at 8:47 am

Started running and did some 10k’s, saw a notice in the gym one day and took up the challenge

• VickiLynne 19th December 2021 at 9:48 am

I swam/snorkeled with whale sharks in Australia – unbelievable! I was in my mid 50s

• Jilly Pilly 19th December 2021 at 10:00 am

I’ve written and published 8 books since I was 55 (now 61). 5 are kids books, the others are young adult. I lost my mojo a little this last year, since working from home because of the p word meant I used my laptop for work rather than pleasure. I have several incomplete novels to finish at present (a couple of which are, I think, the ones to concentrate on as when I go back to them I find myself surprised by how my writing has improved over the years). There. I’ve finally told people other than friends and family!

• Suziku 19th December 2021 at 10:24 am

Just before my 50th, I visited Istanbul, no1 on my bucket list, particularly the Topkapi Palace. In my 50s, I discovered a love of walking and also sorted out my self esteem issues. In my 60s, I took early retirement, I purchased my dream holiday home which I hope to be able to spend half the year at by the time I reach my 70s.

• Dee65 19th December 2021 at 6:44 pm

Gained a BSc(Hons) with the Open University when I was in my early 50s, never thought I could do it and left school at 15 and couldn’t wait to start work, but after my husband decided he wanted to study towards his degree, I thought well if he can so can I, so I did. Then both children have also gained degrees so hopefully this has been the start of something new as no-one in our families had gained one to our knowledge before we did.

• 60sgirl 19th December 2021 at 11:21 pm

Wow, some amazing accomplishments here! I’m nearly 61. A few years ago I did something on my birthday I’d always wanted to do after seeing in on TV in the winter Olympics.
      I was working in Switzerland so I took the train to St. Moritz and booked a ride on a toboggan on the Olympic bobsleigh run. What a thrill!

• John Andrich 20th December 2021 at 10:54 am

Started my own online business at 71

• Dee65 20th December 2021 at 7:59 pm

I should have also said managed to get my State Pension at the age of 66 a couple of month’s ago after waiting 6 years longer because of the changes in legislation. I think that is some achievement don’t you? Some 1950s ladies sadly didn’t make it.

• backofbeyond 21st December 2021 at 7:47 am

Started a degree with the OU back in the 80’s but let it slip after a couple of years when work (started a business) got too time pressured. Since then I’ve always meant to go back and pick things up again but I guess I’d have to start from scratch now.

I’ve done a lot of other ‘bucket list’ stuff since then and watched as my family climbed the educational ladder (wife and son are now ‘Dr’, daughter only one level below and still climbing), but the time never seemed right for me and the cost of the OU now seems prohibitive.

I’m trying to decide whether at my age (70) it’s worth doing back (or even possible) . Anyone got any experiences (good or bad) they’d like to share?

• Moya 21st December 2021 at 12:47 pm

Hi, go back to the OU and complete. I’m 78 and got my Masters this year. I loved every scary minute of it. What is your subject?

• backofbeyond 22nd December 2021 at 11:35 am

I did science subjects first time round in the 70’s – biology and biochemistry, but wanted to branch out into the arts world with the OU so started a history degree. Problem that I’m baulking at the cost involved now – it used to be free

• Moya 22nd December 2021 at 12:18 pm

There are ways you cann get help. It’s worth exploring. The OU is very helpful in that way. Yes, it is expensdive but it was the best money I ever spent. Let me know how you get on. BTW why back of beyond?

• backofbeyond 22nd December 2021 at 9:25 pm

I really do need to contact them I think. Putting it off and putting it off is getting me nowhere, but I look at the size of my children’s student loans and recoil. They at least had the advantage of youth and purpose, I only have ‘vanity’ education as an excuse.

Re my user name, it comes from my email address. About 15yrs ago I was doing a solo motorcycle trip from the UK to West Africa across the Sahara and was looking for some means of keeping in touch as I went (the phone network in Africa was rudimentary). We didn’t have an email address at the time but my wife’s sister did so suggested I emailed progress reports to her for passing on. To separate me from the junk / spam (even then!) she wanted me to get a name she’d recognise. I got lucky with hotmail and b-o-b was available so I used it – and still do as people remember it.

• Moya 22nd December 2021 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for explaining your nom de plume. That motorcycle trip sounds amazing.. I disagree that yours is a vanity project.. Your learning will affect all around you. Just by doing it you will be an inspiration. It’s better to do something rather than regret something you didn’t. At one point my daughter, my granddaughter and I were all at Uni at the same time.. Do you still motorcycle?

• backofbeyond 23rd December 2021 at 11:02 am

I suppose I’m just naturally cautious with these things and prioritised the children’s education. I also didn’t want to tread on toes so stayed away from the education world while other family members were in it. Trouble is they were in it for a long time – wife, son and daughter currently have 8 science / medicine degrees between them. So it’s really only in the last couple of years that I’ve felt a gap open up for me to return to it – just as my wife is retiring and wants to shake off her work yoke (and our income drops).

I still ride bikes – we were supposed to be doing our third long USA motorcycle trip (Deep South) last year just after Covid hit. The first coast to coast trip in 2015 gave me enough material for two books, and I’ve got a North Africa trip on a vintage bike planned for next summer (Covid or not!) that’ll produce another book (cover and first half of book already written). The other picture is from the West Africa trip.

• Moya 23rd December 2021 at 9:20 pm

Travelling like that is an education in itself. Those dust covers look gook. Di I understand that two are published and the third is a work in progress?

• backofbeyond 23rd December 2021 at 9:50 pm

The right hand cover – Dreaming of Europa – comes from an idea I had a few years ago. Back in 1970 a friend and I travelled from London to Tangier, Morocco on a motorcycle. It was my first real trip out of the UK and I really was the original innocent abroad. The idea was to redo that trip on its 50th anniversary – same route, same (type of) motorcycle, same destination etc – and try to examine what changes half a century has wrought, both in me and in the world we travelled through, but Covid has postponed it twice so far. I wrote the story of the original 1970 trip as the first ‘half’ about a year ago based on memories, photographs, friends recollections etc.

The other two are on Amazon although the left hand one is on hold at the moment pending some editing changes that should have been done a month ago. It’s only a day’s work but family commitments recently have meant no time.

• siandeve15 21st December 2021 at 6:16 pm

When I was 19 on the early 70ts I worked on Passenger Liners as a chef and sailed round the world twice before I was 21.

Add