Home Forums General Cruising

Clint Posted 4 months ago
Cruising

I’ve just completed the little survey on cruising, even though I have never been, and never intend going on a cruise.

Personally I couldn’t think of a worse holiday to go on, crammed into a an ugly ship with thousands of other people. I know there are many people that enjoy cruises, but I like to do my own thing, when and where I want to do it. I go on holiday to try and avoid crowds and the mayhem of cities. I don’t like being held to an itinerary. Not being a fan of musicals, even the onboard entertainment holds no interest to me. I love boats, almost my entire family either had their own fishing boats, were shipwrights, or served at sea in some capacity. I even did National Service in the Navy, but cruise ships, sorry they’re not for me. Does anyone else feel the same?

3 likes & 12 replies
    • Forestbather 26th January 2022 at 9:29 am

Completely agree. I like to travel on my on own time, find my own hostels, find my own food – otherwise you might as well be at work. If I like a place, I stay longer and explore properly with a map and hiking boots. I don’t want to just stop in cities for a few hours and then be told to get back on a boat at 8pm. The “entertainment” aspect makes me cringe – it just smacks of “enforced fun”. I can’t imagine anything worse.

I can, however, see the benefit of cruises for disabled people who might struggle to travel alone with a massive rucksack.

• AEB 26th January 2022 at 10:02 am

Cruises have never appealed to me I like to wander and explore in my own time. Not keen on holiday camps either

• Vixster 26th January 2022 at 11:57 am

I agree but did actually go on a cruise a few years back, to Alaska as it was the easiest way to see what we wanted. We picked the smallest possible ship with entertainment options including films, comedy, music quizzes and environmental talks and it was bearable. We may try a river cruise in the future but on the whole cruising is not really for us.

• backofbeyond 26th January 2022 at 12:15 pm

I’m with you on that one. Cruises are probably the last sort of holiday I’d ever choose. My (somewhat elderly) next door neighbour enjoys them though so everyone to their own. Not for me though. Some American friends did a river cruise in Germany a few years back and one of them caught a bug on the boat that put her in hospital for two weeks. A one off I’m sure but even without Covid there does seem to a lot of reports like that

• MalcolmC 26th January 2022 at 12:17 pm

I had never considered going on a cruise until my daughter got a job as a singer/actor in a Show Team a couple of years ago. I went on my first cruise with my, then, wife so we could celebrate her birthday with her.

It was an interesting experience. As a family member of the Show Team, we got to see behind the scenes and that was fascinating. The actual cruise was not as bad as I was dreading but we did have a balcony cabin so that helped. We did some of the excursions and, as a highlights tour, it was good to see places that I would not have normally considered visiting.

The down sides were, as you say, the crowded decks. Also, as it was All Inclusive, there were lots of passengers “worse for wear”. The time limits in some places were quite annoying. Also, while the food and drink were All Inclusive, everything else, like excursions, were very expensive.

On balance, I can say that it is not my favourite form of holiday but it was unexpectedly mostly enjoyable. I would probably not repeat the experience unless it was to visit my daughter. I would never say never but definitely extremely unlikely.

• Daisychain 26th January 2022 at 1:23 pm

I’ve thought about it several times but on every occasion decided they’re not for me except maybe the Northern Lights. I’m not convinced at all about the safety of such ships and they are a real blight on places such as Venice and Malta (and probably anywhere else). Too many incidents of food poisoning, idiots who drink too much and very loud and noisy people.

Having said that I’m aware of exclusive trips that cost a fortune but use beautiful sailing ships and engines when necessary that do historical and archaeological tours of the Med and the Black Sea. Lectures by professors are included. That would be so interesting but way, way out of my budget.

• Pennypitstop 26th January 2022 at 11:29 pm

I think a cruise is a giant butlins holiday camp…..not for me either. But i know folks who love them.
      Having said that I went on a Nile cruise a few years ago which was lovely and the Viking or Saga river cruises look quite nice but very expensive.

• kernowboy2 26th January 2022 at 11:33 pm

Agree. I plan my own travel and much more of a road tripper. Must admit being stuck in a resort for a week would also be a bit like a cruise if there was not much to do nearby.

• Tambos57 27th January 2022 at 7:38 am

There was a good documentary on the cruise industry (chan 4 last year I think). Interesting how they said the industry had changed over the years and now more designed to
      Make you part with your money. Floating cities.

Never fancied one personally but my folks did a few and enjoyed them. My old fella never fancied them but after trying one enjoyed it. Good way to see the world.

• Sue47 27th January 2022 at 6:05 pm

My lovely late Mum always wanted a cruise so we went on the little 3-day ones to Santander a couple of times which was more than enough for me but she loved it. My brother and I treated her to an all-inclusive, balcony suite Med cruise for her 90th birthday which she absolutely loved. For me though it was the most tedious ‘holiday’ I’ve ever had, looking at nothing but sea then shepherded off the ship every couple of days for 5/6 hours to rush around and see what there was to see – all very touristy, pushy, fake and expensive. I like to drive to a small UK town/village for a few days, speak to the locals who are a mine of knowledge and will know all the best places to see off the beaten track.

• Moondaisy 29th January 2022 at 7:49 am

It depends on the cruise surely? I love cruising. I cruised the Nile which was like a floating hotel. I loved it. We got to know all the people on board and saw some great sights.

Then I cruised on a slightly bigger ship in the Maldives. Loved it. Visited small uninhabited islands. Went midnight fishing. Diving. It was fabulous.

Then I cruised on the Oriana. Much bigger ship. I did enjoy it, but not as much as the other two.

Now I want to do a river cruise. Maybe Norway and the Norwegian Fjords.

• beetlejuice 29th January 2022 at 8:38 am

can’t imagine anything worse! and they always use that horrid little man to advertise them on TV

Add