Home Forums General COVID vaccinations. I hope you’re vaccinated...

Gerard371 Posted 6 months ago
COVID vaccinations. I hope you’re vaccinated, if not why not?

At present in the UK, you have to show proof of vaccination to gain entry to some events. Download the NHS app and sign in, it will show your vaccination history.
In some countries if you are not vaccinated you are facing lockdown.
Below is pic of apparel which I think should become mandatory for unvaccinated people.

9 likes & 84 replies
    • Always 16th November 2021 at 8:01 am

I’m having my 3rd one today!

• SteveKent 16th November 2021 at 8:04 am

Yesterday left me feeling boosted!

• Kenton 16th November 2021 at 8:20 am

Had my booster on Saturday with no issues and always wear a mask in supermarkets. Safe is safe and sorry is sorry. 🧑‍🏫

• Staying Alive 16th November 2021 at 9:38 am

I’m having mine next week with flu jab and a bit worried as I’m just recovering from sickness

• VFP 16th November 2021 at 9:54 am

All done! I wonder if anyone avoiding the jab will answer this question?

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 10:03 am

I’ve not even got a date for mine yet.

• Mo001 16th November 2021 at 10:30 am

We had to show proof of vaccination to get into Murrayfield on Sat for the Scotland v South Africa rugby match. Definitely worth it, as it was a fantastic day 😊

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 12:15 pm

How strange.
      About an hour after I posted in this thread a message came through to book my covid booster 😀
      I’m all booked for Monday 🙂

• Catwoman 16th November 2021 at 12:30 pm

No intention of getting it. I have my reasons all health related

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 12:41 pm

It’s a choice and I support you all the way. Don’t let anyone pressure you, it’s your right to choose. 🥂

• Catwoman 16th November 2021 at 12:49 pm

I’m being reminded everytime I speak to the Dr. I just want to know it won’t make things worse as I have a lot going on as it is. Not just mobility related. Of course they cannot really say for certain and as I rarely leave the house I think I’m ok for now. Thank you for the support 😘

• loislane 16th November 2021 at 1:04 pm

Fair enough if you’ve valid health reasons, and it doesn’t work for some people like my friend who had blood cancer.
        I’m going for my flu jab first

• beetlejuice 16th November 2021 at 4:45 pm

well done all of you

• SteveKent 16th November 2021 at 4:53 pm

In the barbers chair shortly after last lock down and my barber said his father was anti vax, in again last week and he was saying his father has had covid and now vaccinated. I also see Austria are locking down non vaxed people.

• beetlejuice 16th November 2021 at 4:56 pm

even with compromised immunity, there is a good level of cover, approx 39% effective and 20% effective for leukemia patients receiving treatment .It is these very patients that would really struggle if they were to contract covid.So it is worth having the vaccine.Ultimately peoples choice however

• beetlejuice 16th November 2021 at 6:57 pm

i would never take a persons right to choose away from them but neither do i understand why someone wouldn’t have the vaccine, unless suffered a severe anaphalactic reaction previously from a vaccine or one of the ingredients, it’s worth mentioning that the these ingredients are, lipids, salts sugars and water mainly.

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 8:07 pm

If you don’t understand why someone wouldn’t want the vaccine have a read of this

Common side effects include sleepiness, rash, and dizziness.[3] Severe side effects include tumor lysis syndrome, blood clots, and peripheral neuropathy. It is an immunomodulatory medication and works by a number of mechanisms, including stimulating T cells and decreasing TNF-α production.[3]

Sound familiar?

Now read the part which I deleted-

Use in pregnancy may harm the fetus, including resulting in malformation of the limbs.[3] In males who are taking the medication, contraception is essential if a partner could become pregnant.

The drug in question here is Thalidomide. (And we all know how that went.)
        It was a great drug at doing what it was designed for (preventing morning sickness) but it wasn’t a great drug overall.

If I were young enough to have children I’d have reservations about having the covid vaccine I think.

• Gerard371 16th November 2021 at 8:47 pm

You picked on a drug that was used and had catastrophic long term consequences.
          I could state any number of drugs which are wonder drugs and prolong life with no long term detrimental consequences.
          It’s all to do with perspective.

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 9:09 pm

Would you gamble with your children’s welfare because a politician gave you his assurance it was safe?

• Gerard371 16th November 2021 at 9:13 pm

It was the MHRA who approved the vaccine, and all the other drugs doctors prescribe. If it was just from Boris, god help us.

• beetlejuice 16th November 2021 at 9:13 pm

Ralph, i dont know whether to laugh or cry! where ever did you google this information(an anti vax website) to date there have been over 150.000 pregnant women recieve the vaccine without any ill affects to the unborn child.The side effects as we all know are mild and short in duration.Serious side effects are extremley rare Ralph.I am not sure why you are talking about Thalidomide, this was over 50 years ago and as a consequence medicine has learnt a great deal.Including indepth clinical trials , the medicines act, the yellow card scheme
          and also in vitro testing.There has not been a repeat of anything like Thalidomide since.However Thalidimode is still used successfully today for Myeloma and even leprosy.Actually Ralph, even if we have amild case of covid and recover , none of us know what damage could have been caused to us as individuals as a result.There is now lots of research into long covid, that wasn’t anticipated.It is only through trial and error that we learn, there are a multitude of drugs used for their side effects to treat other conditions.For example opiate derived analgesia slows gut motility so can be used for chronic diarrhea when nothing else is effective.If you read the patient information leaflet inside any medication, there will be a whole list of side effects, but you or i are unlikely to suffer any of them apart from the common and mild ones.Paracetamol for example is toxic to the liver and as few as 5g can cause Hepatotoxicity.But they are in everyones cupboard at home.If a pregnant woman caught covid and was put on a ventilator the outcome for both mother and baby wouldn’t be good unless the mother was in the 3rd trimester and baby could be delivered via c section.So Ralph, when you went for your vaccines, did you tell the vaccinator any of the above or were you happy to consent?

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 10:34 pm

I was happy to have it because it’s only me that will suffer the consequences if I’ve made the wrong decision. I’m not having anymore kids so it won’t have a bearing on future generations if I’ve made a mistake.

I agree that the vaccine is “probably” safe but I remember the BSE crisis in the 90s.

There was a politician on the news who was trying to convince the public that eating beef was safe.

I can’t remember the politicians name but he forced his “own son” to eat a beef burger on live tv. (The kid was about 10 years old)

WHAT SORT OF A PERSON WOULD DO THAT?

I’ll tell you who’d do that, a politician!!

I often used to wonder if that politician was ever able to sleep at night after that.

Can you imagine how he felt when the news came through the BSE had transferred to humans?

At the moment we can’t be “sure” what this vaccine is safe for future generations so don’t put yourself in this politician’s position and force it down everyone’s neck.

Please let them make up their own minds.

• beetlejuice 17th November 2021 at 6:58 am

Hi Ralph, now we are talking politics! this vaccine was manufactured by top scientists, the brains of the country.I am not and never have been interested in politics.Again i find myself saying “every person has a choice regarding their health and decisions” I think people would be affected if you made the wrong choice regarding your vaccine as you have a family? i stand by my original statement , i dont understand why people don’t have it.however since i have the knowledge and understanding of the pharmaceutics involved i am able to feel this way.It is no different from any other vaccine we have, it was turned around so quickly because covid was wiping out thousands.Ps i dont eat meat not worried about BSE and yes thats my choice

• Mad Ralph 17th November 2021 at 10:40 am

So the BSE crisis wasn’t a public health issue BK, it was just politics?
          Well I never. I’ve learnt something new today.

You keep saying you don’t understand why people don’t want the vaccine. I’m not saying your wrong, I’m just trying to help you understand how they’ve reached this decision. (Be it right or wrong)

It does give me faith that we both agree on the fact that people should have a choice tho. 👍

• Nelle96 17th November 2021 at 8:12 am

But that is like comparing apples to not even oranges but paperclips. Not only are they entirely different in the type of drug but Thalidomide was nearly 60 years ago and barely regulated. Both the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and its adverse drug effects reporting programme (the Yellow Card scheme) exist because of the thalidomide scandal. I am nearly sixty but have an 11 year old – I’ve had the vaccine precisely because I want to maximise the chance of being around for him. And once he is 12 he’ll be having it too. I don’t think vaccines should be forced on anyone but this is a public health matter and if you choose not to have the vaccine then you may have to accept you will not have access to all the freedoms you previously had.

• Mad Ralph 17th November 2021 at 11:22 am

Hi Nelle
          I know it’s not the same drug but the whole scandal left a bad taste in people’s mouths.
          Society hasn’t forgot about the damage it caused and there are still people living with the consequences of that mistake. (Through no fault of their own)

I’m not sure who’s right or wrong in this debate but something about the argument just doesn’t sit right with me. It doesn’t feel right that people think it’s ok to take away someone’s freedoms because they don’t share the same ideas.

• beetlejuice 17th November 2021 at 4:26 pm

Ralph please please please show me where anyone said that people must have it? i didnt say this and i do believe all others said it was about choice! how many times do i have to say this before you accept or believe me? the reason that people are not having the vaccine is largely due to lack of understanding and and fear that will be ill.When i counsel and advise a patient prior to vaccination it is explained, the role of the drug, side effects and things to look out for.I am going to say that most people are suprised ‘that it doesn’t hurt, that they wont develop covid, that they wont have a paralysed arm and that there was in deed nothing to fear.Like i said before even people with compromised immunity have about 19% protection against covid! the only people that shouldnt have it are those that have previously had severe anaphalaxis to a vaccine.A pregnant woman, owes it to her unborn child to make sure she has the best and healthiest pregnancy she can and gives birth to a full term healthy baby.You started on politics Ralph, which has nothing to do with this subject.This is about dozens of brilliant scientists and medics manufacturing a drug that has passed rigorous trials on animals and human volunteers in order to save your ass! everyone of us should bow down to these scientists and medics and thank goodness we have them.

• Always 16th November 2021 at 8:31 pm

It really should be the individuals choice based on their own circumstances
      No one should have to lose their job or be victimised for not having the vaccine if they have a genuine reason not to

• Gerard371 16th November 2021 at 8:39 pm

Maybe giving NHS staff an ultimatum of getting vaccinated or no job, is partly based on the cost to the health service in sickness pay if they contract covid. Also shouldn’t health officials be setting an example.
        We saw last year the death toll from COVID, and I’m sure the vaccine is preventing a similar numbers of deaths now.
        Worry about the consequences now, not years in the future from the long term effects of vaccination, which may amount to nothing.

• Always 16th November 2021 at 8:49 pm

I’m in no doubt that this vaccine as many that have gone before will save many many lives. But we are a democratic society and as such people should not be damned for exercising their right to make a choice particularly where the reasoning behind that choice is completely legitimate. I personally am taking the opportunity to be vaccinated but I’d never discriminate against or challenge any one that hadn’t

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 9:13 pm

👏👏👏 amen to that Always.

• Mad Ralph 16th November 2021 at 8:44 pm

I don’t even think you need a genuine reason.
        If there’s any doubt in your mind you have the right to say no.
        It’s still a free country. (just about.)

• Gerard371 16th November 2021 at 8:49 pm

Mad Ralph, you should come to Stratford, we can have a right old discussion over a pint.

• Nelle96 17th November 2021 at 9:44 am

Do you know what, this is why I like this forum. People can express different view points without being attacked and often some kind of sensible debate ensues – at least that’s my experience to date.

• beetlejuice 16th November 2021 at 9:36 pm

Always, i have been a qualified pharmacist for 28 years and contribute to the vaccination roll out by administering the vaccine throughout vaccination sites, hospitals and primary care.I am 100 percent behind you when you say its persons own choice.Absolutely can’t deny that.I truly feel people don’t know the facts and i will always advise best i can and obtain consent before anything else.

• Mad Ralph 17th November 2021 at 1:37 am

Hey BJ, I’d like to say you have my utmost respect for everything you’ve done during this pandemic, without people like you god knows where we’d be right now. This whole episode’s been a massive learning curve and we don’t have all the answers yet.

I’m not an anti vaxer, I just think it’s morally wrong when people attack someone just because they have a different opinion that’s all. (We see this all the time in religion and it’s not pretty)

I really believe that if we’re more tolerant of each other’s views we can live together in harmony.

Let’s remember. Just because someone hasn’t had the vaccine it doesn’t make them more of a threat.

We can all carry it and we can all pass it on.

• beetlejuice 17th November 2021 at 7:04 am

never never in my whole career have i or would i persuade a person to do something against will or wishes.What i can do is clinically assess and advice honestly and respectfully as i do each day to people who are concerned and anxious.Then they decide! not me !

• Mad Ralph 17th November 2021 at 10:52 am

Well thank you for that.

• beetlejuice 17th November 2021 at 4:30 pm

but ralph, in your arguments and every time you reply to me you acuse me of pressuring people, saying i am not tolerant of peoples views.Also actually, if someone hasnt had the vaccine, they are more of a threat as they are more likely to catch it Ralph! thats the whole point.Maybe you should just let this go and know when you are beaten?

• HH 2021 16th November 2021 at 8:41 pm

It is personal choice, yes, but for me, I will have every vaccination going if possible. Still waiting for the call for my booster jab, but have my flu jab booked!

• Gerard371 16th November 2021 at 8:53 pm

It’s a personal choice, and if you have a genuine concern about your health and are worried about the vaccine, why aren’t you worried about COVID. I believe we will all get it sooner or later. I know 2 people both vaccinated who caught COVID and were really ill with it. Who knows what the consequence would have been if they hadn’t had the vaccine.

• HH 2021 16th November 2021 at 9:18 pm

I know Gerard, and Covid is still rife at the mo, my neighbour came around the other day, and he announced he had it shortly afterwards, and I went out with some girl friends the other night and one of the girls announced she had it too (withoutrealising it.)

.God knows how I’ve avoided it so far, but fingers crossed I’ll keep on avoiding it!

But in the meantime, will get the booster as soon as I can!

• Utterly bemused 17th November 2021 at 12:01 am

I am due to have my booster on Sunday and it can’t come quickly enough

• Deleted User 17th November 2021 at 2:20 am

Got my booster. Few expected side effects for the first time. Still wearing masks.

• Dennis 17th November 2021 at 7:40 am

Ive had two jabs and will have the booster but wouldn’t dismiss anyone’s fears about having the jab, everyone should be free to make their own decision.

A friend of mines brother had a very severe reaction to the AZ vaccine back in April was rushed to hospital with suspected heart attack and spent 22 days in there, much of that in critical care, his body was constantly producing blood clots and it was looking like he wasn’t going to pull through. He’s late forties and no underlying conditions.

That shocked me as I hadn’t heard of such a severe reaction before, thankfully not heard it since either so seems to be a one off.

• Will998 17th November 2021 at 10:39 am

I had my booster today and was offered the flu jab at the same time which I accepted.

I work in the funeral industry so it was a no brainer to have all of my vaccinations at the earliest opportunity.

There was never any question in my mind regarding the option of not being vaccinated……

• Gerard371 17th November 2021 at 10:58 am

At no point in this discussion did anyone mention that their doctor advised them not to have the vaccination.
      Surely doctors know our health history and since we go to them for our medical problems, shouldn’t they be the first point of contact if you have any doubts or concerns about having the COVID vaccine.

• Mad Ralph 17th November 2021 at 12:59 pm

Yes the doctor can give you their opinion but that doesn’t mean their right. They can’t see into the future. Let’s remember, someone went to their doctor because they had morning sickness once.

• Mad Ralph 17th November 2021 at 1:16 pm

I can see we’re never going to agree on this subject and nor should we have to. This could go on forever, I’ve put my point forward & I think it’s about time I took a back seat. Good talking tho. 👍

Add