Home Forums General Cost of living crisis?

Vixster Posted 2 weeks ago
Cost of living crisis?

How will sacking 90000 people help the population more than a windfall tax of £2bn or taxing the rich?
All it will lead to is more privatisation of public services meaning our taxes help more rich people get richer.
It also sounds like the government is breaking its own laws on redundancy consultation like P&O and whatever happened to their huge fine??

5 likes & 18 replies
    • Shirlann 14th May 2022 at 8:37 am

Isn’t it the first million pounds the hardest 🤔😁after that easy!

• Pops McCarthy 14th May 2022 at 11:24 am

Wonder what would happen if the 20m? or so people who pay tax refused like the rich? Prisons would be rather cramped!!!!!!

• Forestbather 14th May 2022 at 11:58 am

I heard they put Jacob Rhys Mogg in charge of this. Kerching.

• Vixster 14th May 2022 at 12:14 pm

That guy should go back to the 18th century – he’s awful!

• backofbeyond 14th May 2022 at 7:16 pm

That’s what I thought until I read the six or seven page article on him in the Sunday Times. All about his wonderful family and how he’s just like us and how he works tirelessly to improve our lives and how he’s misunderstood but still soldiers on and, and, and … And there were all those lovely cuddly soft focus pictures of him at home surrounded by the oh so beautiful children and that wonderfully tasteful decorated house. He’s such an inspiration and I’m voting for whatever he votes for. What an eye opening article. How could I have got him so wrong.

Excuse me for a minute, I’m feeling a little …. 🤢

• Colin in Kent 14th May 2022 at 8:47 pm

Instead of sacking tens of thousands of people (and isn’t unemployment supposed to be *bad* for tax revenue?), how about closing some of the tax loopholes that allow global corporations trading in the UK to pay virtually no tax? Or would that impact the companies that Tories hold directorships and shares in? How about getting rid of non-dom rules that permit billionaires living in the UK to get away without paying tax?

The continued moral bankruptcy and cupidity of this Government continues to defy belief, yet people continue to vote for them.

• Vixster 15th May 2022 at 8:40 am

I think as long as the press supports them and plays their tune then many people will continue to believe they are the best chance for England and those who live outside England quite rightly are voting for a better party.

• Terry75 15th May 2022 at 11:02 am

What it will achieve is to put 90000 people closer or into poverty.

• Spiritual Guy 15th May 2022 at 1:32 pm

I’m sure it will be sugar coated as being part of one (or some) of the following:
        1) Getting brexit done
        2) Levelling up
        3) To improve efficiency

• Terry75 15th May 2022 at 1:41 pm

When I took over as head of Phys Ed at Hull Prison the accountant said to me Terry where its says on Governors Orders “Our Staff are our most valuable resource” read into that most expensive. Says it all really and when Personell Depts became Human Resources the writing was on the wall for the minions because you weren’t a person anymore just a resource to be discarded when the needs arise.

• Vixster 15th May 2022 at 2:01 pm

Accountants alŵays focus on cost but as an ex HR professional who worked for 10 years as a consultant, in my experience, it really is the ethos of the company and its senior leaders who determine how well their employees will be treated. Some companies are great to work for and others are not. Unfortunately many public sector orgs are tough due to money being constrained by government.

• Sue Devon 15th May 2022 at 11:19 pm

I agree totally, if you have people of vision in the top tier who can bring others along with them, the employment environment feels positive and dynamic instead of stunted.

• Daisychain 15th May 2022 at 3:34 pm

Listening to LBC today, apparently the government is looking to buy yet another propert in Manhattan for diplomats. They already have 3 properties available for diplomatic use. Not to mention 2 jets, one specially painted and a new royal yacht. This is tax payers money, not theirs for personal aggrandisement. I’d also do away with the cost price catering services at the House of Commons/Lords.

I’d like to see a properly trained civil service, who would then be able to provide efficient services such as the passport office, DWP, Social Services, etc. This is not to mention other public services that are under extreme pressure. We could even get rid of many government QUANGO’s and transfer some of those services to local authorities.

Our whole system of taxation needs to be fairer and help to provide support those who are struggling under enormous financial pressures.

Meanwhile, the rich get richer and the poor, poorer.

• Vixster 15th May 2022 at 4:02 pm

Yes absolutely! Have you seen how many Non exec roles they have in gov depts and arms length bodies – many paid at £000s for working 2 days a month. Jobs for the boys.

Add