Home Forums Family & Relationships Cost of divorce….

Vicky1970 Posted 1 year ago
Cost of divorce….

So husband and I have agreed to divorce (as he the cause, ) its all uncontested.
I have a good pension and he has agreed to let me have house.
Spoke to solicitor as was advised I needed to make sure no come back in future. But got a estimate and it’s 3k or more even though its uncontested.
Seen I can do this on line for £400. Seems legit
Has anyone ever used an online company?

1 like & 43 replies
    • Blauro 14th May 2021 at 7:43 pm

Hi Vicky,
      £400 sounds very cheap! Does that a include the costs for the court and arranging a financial settlement between the two of you?

• Aqualady51 14th May 2021 at 7:56 pm

I’m going through a very costly divorce at the moment, so anything you can do yourself is good. I’m taking the view that it will be money well spent to ensure me and my daughter’s get to keep our home. Not that it sounds like you need it, but mediation might be a good way to formalise what’s agreed ahead of submitting financial forms. You have to be sure of the balance of assets and future proof your pension. If it’s classed as a long marriage he could be entitled to half your pension and you his. You haven’t mentioned whether he has a pension. If he does are you aware of its value? Good luck. It’s a very difficult time, so be kind to yourself. I can’t wait for this phase to be over so the divorce can be finalised and a line is drawn under what was on the whole a good marriage which lost its way.

• Vicky1970 14th May 2021 at 8:29 pm

He has no pension and has resigned from his job as moving to Wales. I’m the major earner so all the money on my side. He says happy to walk away with nothing but his clothes. No children yo worry about.

Good luck with your divorce.

• Rowan 14th May 2021 at 10:54 pm

Ok I got divorced during lockdown…the costly bit is not the divorce itself but the ancillary financial relief side of things…I paid a similar sum to what you have mentioned but although mine was initially agreed my ex changed his mind from the original agreement I went to her to write up so some costs spent getting an agreement …on top of this there was the divorce costs themselves of £550 which was done independently of solicitor…may be you could keep your costs down if you go to the solicitor which the form E already completed. Some people don’t get consent orders but of course in this case there is no clean break and could be problems in future. Also if there is a property which you are keeping there will be costs of transferring that if going into one name about £550/750 . Hope this helps

• Vicky1970 15th May 2021 at 8:58 pm

Selling house and using as deposit on new one. So no name change needed thank god.
        Not worried about ex just his new women don’t trust her.

• Rowan 16th May 2021 at 12:43 am

In that case 100% get written up etc by a solicitor you can trust so no come back good luck x

• grumpybob 13th September 2021 at 8:12 pm

Also having been through sort of thing, I think your last piece of advice is spot on, Rowan. A few grand now may save an awful lot more, down the road. Good luck Vicky

• Margo 10th June 2021 at 10:10 am

Good luck for the future Vicky. Onwards and upwards.

• Deleted User 10th June 2021 at 10:49 am

I think the risk of doing it online against using a solicitor is if one party in the marriage decides to use a solicitor, the solicitor will be acting on their behalf and wanting the best deal for their client.

Despite what people say, it’s funny how people can change their mind.

• Deleted User 13th June 2021 at 11:59 am

I am about to start divorce proceedings. I want to do the divorce part online by completing the form. I will be using the Solicitors for the financial part. Will be selling the house. The 3 kids want to come with me. I have a good pension as does he. I envisage a pretty ‘simple’ divorce (I really hope)

• Vicky1970 13th June 2021 at 12:33 pm

Good luck I hope it is simple and painless for you.
        Not a nice thing to go through but stay strong and use the boards for support xx

• Deleted User 13th June 2021 at 12:39 pm

Thank you Vicky1970. I also have the same wishes for you xx

• Deleted User 14th June 2021 at 10:40 am

Hi Vicky. Have a look at https://www.netlawman.co.uk

• Kaycee17 15th June 2021 at 7:29 pm

Be very careful if you try and do it yourself. If there is another woman involved she will be doing all she can to make sure he doesn’t come to her empty handed. (Speaking from experience here – sorry if it sounds cynical). Good luck and I hope you can sort it out without involving solicitors.

• CGR 27th June 2021 at 11:28 am

My soon to be ex changed his mind so many times and has become increasingly acrimonious. I am so thankful that I have a lawyer and I am hoping it will be money well spent to protect myself

• adeliza0165 28th June 2021 at 10:04 pm

Ive been engaged but never got married (saw the light).

I do believe it’s unnecessary really, unless you’re religious, because it causes so much stress, heartache and financial loss! But everyone to their own and if I met someone special, I would prefer a nice celebration of our lives together, with even the possible exchange of eternity rings… uniquely different, simple and nice.

• Vicky1970 29th June 2021 at 7:47 am

I can understand your point especially as this was his second marriage. Some people do it for financial security as well as love. Have a friend who didn’t marry everything in his name she just gave him money they split and she got nothing.
        Not that this should be the reason but its sensible thinking.

• adeliza0165 29th June 2021 at 8:29 am

It’s awful but there are some unscrupulous people out there with absolutely no conscience (possibly narcissists), who do it for their own financial gain and nothing else! It’s usually the rest of the family and friends who notice it, apart from the other person getting married!… But, love is blind.

• Jen12345 5th July 2021 at 11:34 am

For online divorce go through Gov.uk website.
      Please don’t use a company.
      If you go via a company they just go on the on line divorce website exactly the same as you can do for yourself but then charge you a fee on top of the £550 it would cost if you did it all yourselves.

• Jen12345 6th July 2021 at 2:23 pm

I worked for Gov.uk online divorce…if you are on benefits certain ones you will get it all free.
        Or low income …also depends on if you have children you may get it free or have to pay a portion of the cost.

• Tina lives.com 6th July 2021 at 7:59 am

I used online. Gov site , don’t know the cost I have low wages so I didn’t pay anything

• Debbie Jayne 8th July 2021 at 6:51 pm

I did my own divorce online using the government website and it cost me £550. Very well explained process and as my ex-husband was in agreement it was complete in 6 months.

• Sparkles 11th July 2021 at 12:12 am

Get a clean break order. That way he can’t come back for any money in the future

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 13th September 2021 at 1:47 am

If he sticks to his word all good but beware with a bit if distance they can often change their mind about being reasonable

• FOXY9961 13th September 2021 at 2:31 am

I had a heart attack last week and despite my having been wed and divorced 3 times, I was still searching. I wish the heart attack had killed me.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 13th September 2021 at 1:45 pm

We did ours online. Was straightforward. Good luck Vicky, I hope it’s easy for you and you can move forward with your life and be happy x

• Rowan 13th September 2021 at 9:30 pm

There is confusion around divorce ie not being married and the financial side . The first is generally not a problem and costs 550 and yes can be done on line but the complicated costly side is the financial side …re lump sums and ancillary/ maintenance etc…clean break via a court/ consent order to me is the best outcome as hopefully it results in a clean break and you know where you are !

• TERRITT1083 13th September 2021 at 10:06 pm

I done my divorce on line but there wasn’t any property involved was an easy process though on the direct gov site

• goldfish63 15th September 2021 at 10:37 am

Just be careful he does not come after a percentage of your pension, if so that will add to divorce costs now or later, my ex-wife took me to court 8yrs after the divorce to get a percentage of my pension, it cost me £10,000 in fees and she got awarded 22%.

• Ric 27th September 2021 at 6:28 am

Yep

As long as both parties in agreement over assets/finances its green for go.

Few forms to fill out and sign declaring individual earnings/savings and make sure you have it written ‘No further interest in each others remuneration pension etc.

Got my divorce in 8 months and she got someone much uglier with a massive wallet but what a trade off to be Old Free and Single…..

Stay safe Vic

Ric B

• Vicky1970 27th September 2021 at 7:01 am

Just awaiting the nisi then financial. We still talk as sorting stuff out and surprise surprise the grass is not greener.

• Ric 27th September 2021 at 10:25 am

Hi Vicky

Tea Break so thought I would reply.

Its a very traumatic time Vic when the backside drops out of one’s life/marriage.

27 years and bang with no warning – Off she flew with her boss to a life of greener grass but you will rise trust me x

its ugly and demoralising to see all that trust go out of the window but although you wont see it initially, once the reality sets in that people only tell you that which you want to hear and the guilt drives the lies in an attempt to cover the back door…..

You have to surround yourself with people who care and keep you strong _ I had to go it alone but managed to pull my head out of the proverbial enough to surface out the other side.

We had a son together and I wanted no further pain for him after having to see Mum and Dad fall apart and so as suggested I gritted my teeth and stayed amicable enough to obtain the result I wanted. Again for my Son we are still on speaking terms and after all 27 years was fun and complete until the last year so |I am not going to throw away a third of my life and destroy the future years to come.

Once you are on your tod Vic, the enlightenment will shine through allowing you to prevail in w3hat ever guise you choose x

Take care and believe in yourself, find yourself again and move forward in the knowledge that nobody owns you and nobody governs that which you decide as its ME TIME again…

All the very best Vicky and chin up forever/Girl Power if that’s what it takes – I tried that too but I looked ‘orrible ‘in a frock Nah just kidding I am all male and proud to be me.

Beat Regards

Ric B

• Lonelysole 20th February 2022 at 3:59 pm

Hi Vic feel your pain my husband left after 26 years decided he did not love me or want to be married anymore and moved out. Surprise surprise found out he had another women and moved to Corby to be near her she has three children youngest is 10!. Would have been so much easier if he had just been truthful but just used me until night before he moved out and said we would try but he had no intentions was just protecting our business. I now have house and he has business. He had to sign the deeds over to me and I am now the only one on mortgage as well just got to find a job now. I hope one day karma gets him back and it is so difficult to move on when you feel so empty and used! But he only moved out at end of sept so still early days. Trouble was he was my best mate as well but I have nice group of friends now and a 9 month old puppy they are very supportive and I will get there. Life is so difficult at times good luck we have not started divorce yet going to leave that for him to sort I am in no hurry yet. We both have pensions so hopefully they should even it out. We have a daughter who he lied to as well but she is at uni so house feels so empty and strange. Take care

• Shell69 22nd February 2022 at 7:58 pm

Be very careful settling the financial side without using a solicitor. I saved costs by doing the divorce myself which is straightforward. I had to borrow money to pay the £3,000 costs to my solicitor for sorting out the ancillary side but at least I know it’s definitely a full and final settlement. I didn’t want to have to revisit it unexpectedly in the future. Pension is a biggy. I know someone who’s ex received a settlement by agreement without solicitors getting involved and the ex has now spent up and is going through the courts for more, considerably more.

• ChezzaMc 3rd March 2022 at 8:08 pm

I went through Gov website and applied to court directly, a lot cheaper, 2014. Just filled out forms. There is a wait of 6 weeks for ex to be spouse to contest anything but if nothing then all done, no appearance at court, just all sent in the post. Hope that helps.

• ChezzaMc 3rd March 2022 at 8:12 pm

Also, change all details on your pension and any other financials that name him as next of kin etc etc, then he shouldn’t be able to get anything. It’s your pension not a shared asset.

• siandeve15 3rd March 2022 at 11:20 pm

Going through a marital divorce is one of the worst
      experiences you will do in life.
      This happened to me 30 years ago.
      There are no winners.
      Half way through my divorce I started to realise I will be getting my life back but minus a partner.
      You start to consider what do you won’t to do now once you end up with your official divorce papers?
      Long Story short.
      As this was 29 years ago so no computers & mobile phones as we take for granted now.
      Long story short.
      I started to advertise in lonely
      hearts column in the back of Loot which was the for runner of ebay ware you could buy & sell stuff but also had a lonely hearts column.
      I was inundated with would be partners.
      with not enough hours in the day to get to meet the ever expanding list of potential
      partners.
      Another long story short.
      I met someone special via the Loot paper.
      We lived together for 15 years and eventually I proposed resulting in us getting married on a beach in Tobago in the Caribbean.
      The 19th of March shortly we will be celebrating our 14th Wedding Anniversary by going to Tenerife for a week.
      Although we’ve now been together for 29 years in total.
      Although we’ve had some monumental arguments over the years I wouldn’t swop her for all the gold in the Bank of England.
      For me getting married for the second time was the best decision I ever made in my life. Period.
      Definitely not open to negotiation.
      So you see miracles can happen.
      I’m just an ordinary person.
      However sometimes we are both strong willed & obstinate but we both respect & cherrish each other indefinitely and for ever.
      Moral of this true story.
      I’m a strong believer you will find your life partner but you’ve got to put some effort into it.
      I’m also a believer that somehow life works out irrespective of how you managed to paint yourself into a corner.
      OK maybe not everybody’s life works out how you may wish it to.
      But if you don’t reach for the stars you will never know what you may have missed out on.
      Regards Simon.

• Vicky1970 10th March 2022 at 10:32 am

HI All

Thank you for all the replies, not been on for a while. but its so nice to come back and see so much support.
      Its a process and I’m taking each day at a time (some good, some bad). hoping that as weather gets better I will get out more.

But again Thank you all X

• debm19 11th March 2022 at 10:07 pm

Google mckensie friends they can give legal advice but at a fraction of the cost of a solicitor , I’m currently going through a divorce and financial arrangement with the help of one , so.e of the stuff you can do yourself

Add