Home Forums Food & Drink Cooking rice

debbiejay Posted 3 days ago
Cooking rice

Has anyone got a fail-safe method for cooking soft, fluffy rice? I mostly use basmati rice, sometimes jasmine if I am cooking Chinese.

I’d also be interested to know people’s views on whether it is better to buy good quality (ie expensive) brands, or whether you can get equally good results with supermarket brands.

3 likes & 19 replies
    • NannaG 4th August 2022 at 3:23 pm

I always soak the rice to get rid of any extra starch , then rinse well , boil as usual , works for me light and fluffy once gently fluffed up with a fork

• Mad Ralph 4th August 2022 at 3:31 pm

Hi Debbie
      I have a friend who’s a chef and he once told me to buy the types you mentioned because “you’ll never get good results with cheap rice”

What a load of old cobblers.

I use Aldi value rice that costs 45p a kilo and get great results every time. It does take some preparation though (unless you want sticky rice that clumps together)

Firstly you’ll need a sieve, it’s a must. Put your rice into it and wash it under the cold tap that’s on full blast. While washing it swirl the rice around so the grains rub together. This ensures you get rid of as much starch as possible. When the water runs clear (as opposed to cloudy) your done.

Cook the rice according to the packet instructions in loads of water, the exact amount isn’t important because your going to pour some of it away later.

When it’s done hold the sieve over the sink and pour the rice into it. Wash again under the cold tap to stop the cooking process and get rid of anymore starch that’s been released during the cooking process. Leave it to drain for at least 5 minutes and it’s ready to go. Either fry it or microwave it when your ready to serve.

bon appétit

• AniNorms 4th August 2022 at 5:57 pm

I always rinse rice before cooking. Add water and salt, water to about an inch above the rice level in the saucepan. Bring to the boil. Turn down the heat for about 4 mins then turn off. Leave rice to stand for 15 mins with the lid firmly on the saucepan. All water will be absorbed, rice will be soft and fluffy.

• notahasbeen 4th August 2022 at 6:54 pm

I shall try the aforementioned methods. This is how I do mine and I am happy with it as it isn’t sticky.

I don’t rinse first but I put it in the saucepan and pour boiling water over and stir it until it comes to the boil. I boil it for nine minutes exactly and then transfer it to the sieve and pour boiling water over and shake and fluff it up.

It’s ready to eat. It’s Aldi basmati.

• Shelgy57 5th August 2022 at 10:16 am

I soak in cold water for quite a while, then rinse well and add enough water to cover. As soon as the water’s gone I switch off and just leave to steam. Fluff with a fork and I’m done. If I cook in advance I just pop in the oven with my other things just to warm through. Been cooking rice since I was 14 and now 64, so hopefully I’ve now got it right 😂😂 but basically, it’s whatever works for you.

• Dianailly 5th August 2022 at 10:41 am

After years of trying different methods and never having consistent results I recently bought a microwave rice cooker which has given me perfect results every time! I think I got it from Lidls and it’s the best thing ever. Put in the rice (I use basmati but it details out for different types) rinse it then add hot water. Put in the microwave for 10-15 mins and voilà! Perfect every time. And no messy pans either which is a bonus.

• Pete Smith 5th August 2022 at 10:49 am

Always go for good quality rice. Rinsing shouldn’t be neccessary for basmatti rice – but may be for more starchy variaties like sushi rice.
      Put enough cold water in the pan to come to about 1cm above the level of the rice. Test this by sticking your forefinger in the pan and the water level should come to about your first knuckle!
      Put a tight lid on the pan – if there is an airhole in the lid, block it with some paper.
      Bring the pan up to boil gently – but never remove the lid! A glass lid is handy for this reason.
      Give the pan a jiggle to make sure everything doesn’t get stuck together – but don’t be tempted to remove the lid.
      Allow to boil gently for 4-5 mins then turn off the heat. Don’t be tempted to remove the lid yet!
      Let the pan stand for at least 15 mins, ideally more like 20-30 mins. You can’t really overcook it with this method as once the water is absorbed the rice will stop cooking and keep warm.
      Once it’s stood for long enough you can finally open the lid, fluff with a fork and serve.

• SteveInWales 5th August 2022 at 4:20 pm

My method has never let me down for perfect, fluffy rice every time.
      I wash the rice in the cooking saucepan, changing the water several times until the water remains mostly clear, to remove the excess starch from the rice. It’s this starch which leaves your rice as a clumpy mess if you don’t rinse it.
      Then I add a teaspoon of salt to the rice and double the about of cold water to the amount of rice. So I allow half a mug of rice per person but usually I use a full mug as the extra can be used for leftovers. So one mug of rice equals 2 x mugs of cold water.
      Put the lid on the saucepan and bring the water to a vigorous boil, then turn the heat down to low/medium.
      Do not be tempted to remove the lid and stir until it looks like most of the water has been absorbed, then you can check.
      Turn off the heat once the water has gone and remove the lid. Allow it to steam off for 3-5 minutes so it dries off and this will leave you with individual, fluffy grains of rice.
      If I’m cooking a curry I will add 4 x Green cardamom pods, 4 x cloves, and a sprinkling of turmeric powder to the rice, which gives it a lovely, Indian flavour 😋

• Glyn Colman 5th August 2022 at 5:28 pm
    • NeilB 5th August 2022 at 7:32 pm

I think there’s as many ways as here are people doing it. I always use basmati rice, lots of water, bring to the boil, put the rice straight in and reduce the heat to a strong simmer. Stir frequently. When it’s ready (reached al dente) turn it into a sieve to drain and cover.
      Comes out fluffy every time.

• Dreamyboy 6th August 2022 at 8:02 pm

Ye gods, how long winded! Do what we did and what any self respecting Chinese takeaway does and buy an electric rice cooker – perfect rice every time. Throw in everything you want, hit the button, walk away and forget about it until it switches itself off………….

• Sue Devon 7th August 2022 at 12:53 am

Wash rice really well until water is clear.
      Place in pan with a lid.
      Add equal amount of water to rice
      Bring to boil without pan lid
      Gentle simmer until rice splits at ends
      Turn heat off
      Add pan lid and leave ten mins to steam and cool
      Soft and fluffy rice ready to go

Add