Home Forums General Concerned about the effect of Depp/Heard on future...

Forestbather Posted 2 months ago
Concerned about the effect of Depp/Heard on future DV cases.

The way this has been treated in the media is so awful. I can’t help feeling that there is a massive backward step coming up. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

1 like & 12 replies
    • backofbeyond 2nd June 2022 at 12:52 pm

I only know it from the media so I guess I’m mired in their bias. After the excitement of the Wagatha trial, two more ‘slebs scratching each other’s eyes out in court hasn’t been high up on my agenda, so what aspects that the media didn’t cover / got wrong / missed the point etc. ought I know about?

• Forestbather 2nd June 2022 at 1:02 pm

This is a lot more serious than the Wagatha thing (which is just two women falling out).

The Depp/Heard thing involves DV which impacts most people, rich or normal, at some point in their lives. The fact that this is two actors and social media is on fire with it should not lessen the shocking reality of something society, the police, the law and every one of us are failing to get to grips with.

• Terry75 2nd June 2022 at 1:49 pm

I think its a sad indictment on human behaviour/nature, celeb or otherwise. If you don’t like someone or they don’t like you move on. Why try to hurt them? I know most of us have our faults and sometimes get our mouths in motion before the brains in gear but for goodness sake why do some people want to hurt another and then blame them for their own disgusting behaviour, beyond me and I know from personal experience.

• Forestbather 2nd June 2022 at 1:58 pm

@Terry75

I think you are missing the real issue here. This is exactly what the media/socials attention has caused.

This is not just about two people in a toxic relationship blaming each other.

Underneath this is all the people around the world living each day wondering if this is the day he punches the baby out of her, or if this is the day she reaches the knife before him. All the children hiding under their beds or walking on eggshells whilst this behaviour starts to manifest inside themselves so that the cycle continues into the next generation.

DV is not a trivial thing.

• Terry75 2nd June 2022 at 2:10 pm

Didn’t say it was trivial and I haven’t missed the issue. Its real and destroys people but neither is it one way and if it reaches the point where a life is in danger or the threat of violence is real “get out”. I think the cycle of violence takes a person14 times before they reach that decision.

• Forestbather 2nd June 2022 at 2:26 pm

Interesting and rather shocking that this diagram determines a gender to the victim/abuser categories.

It is not even a male/female, female/male issue.

• Terry75 2nd June 2022 at 2:44 pm

It does and thats sad but take away the gender issue and its pretty accurate. I lived with someone with MH issues but wouldn’t accept the diagnosis so when the dark clouds gathered I was the cause and would cop both barrels. You love someone you love them warts n all, sadly it ended. Life goes on she couldn’t hurt me physically but the mental scars do and I like to think I’m a strong person both mentally and physically. Thats life.

• Mo001 2nd June 2022 at 2:28 pm

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever reach the point, where victims aren’t made to feel it is in many ways their own fault.

If the victim (children/women/men) hadn’t done A, B, C, then the abuse may not have happened.

When someone is seriously having to ask themselves (discussed with friends) will I go to the police if I am physically or sexually abused, that’s a serious problem.

But that’s where we are at in today’s society as many victims feel they are being abused all over again by the system.

I think the Depp / Heard case has harmed, more than helped potential cases moving forward.

• Terry75 2nd June 2022 at 2:53 pm

Lifes experience has taught me to love someone through good and bad. Sadly Mo its not done me much good but I won’t change being the person I am and if that means I’m on my own for whatever time I’ve got left so be it. The Depp/Heard case was out there because of celebrity, there was a lot of money at stake. For Mrs/Mr average its just torment. Hey ho but its about time the “establishment” woke up and actually did something to protect and support victims officially instead of relying on charities. Human nature can be quite vindictive. Whats the saying “Make love not war”.

• TOD1967 2nd June 2022 at 7:49 pm

At law it’s now referred to as DA: ‘domestic abuse’ to incorporate coercive behaviour which fell outside the remit of ‘domestic violence’ requiring a physical act. I doubt the case of a pair of overpaid actors/actresses in a foreign court will have any bearing on the English legal system, apart from anything it was not a case of domestic abuse but a libel case

Add