Home Forums General Coming out of the eu worse mistake?

Shirlann Posted 2 months ago
Coming out of the eu worse mistake?

Just replacing honest workers with refugees so one reason for it lost!

4 likes & 70 replies
    • Daisychain 22nd September 2021 at 10:58 am

I’m a bit of a pessimist just a bit wrong with the timing. Yes, I think it was a huge mistake and us ordinary folk are reaping the consequences. I don’t suppose the real haves give a damn as long as they are making money.

• Deleted User 22nd September 2021 at 3:57 pm

Europe was finally at peace and beginning to prosper.

We now no longer have 300 million customers without a mountain of bureaucracy.

We were lied to over and over and those who did the lying should be in Strangeways.

I don’t believe we can ever recover from this.

• DavidOH 23rd September 2021 at 1:48 pm

I think the worst mistake was joining the EU in the first place. That’s why the nation is suffering now as the EU slowly eroded our self government and self sufficiency and made us pay heavily for the privilege.

• Deleted User 23rd September 2021 at 5:33 pm

Britain was of the top three rule makers.
        For instance the human rights act etc is a Brit thing.
        What do you think we couldn’t do that we wanted to?
        We were told leaving would slash bureaucracy but it has now been vastly multiplied to the point where some companies have given up attempting to export some have folded.
        We were part of the worlds biggest trading agreement with 300 million members now we’ve thrown all that away for what? A free trade deal with Tobago.
        The Yanks don’t want to know us.
        The only deals we can do with Australia will decimate our farming.
        We have left the EU but still have to obey their rules to sell anything in what is now a foreign land.
        We have to adhere to their rules but now have no say in those rules.
        How does it feel sitting in the garden having full sovereignty again because it’s not something I’ve experienced.
        I don’t feel more British.
        I now have to explain to my kids and their kids that yes I had much more freedom than they’ll ever have in that I could travel across Europe live in Europe work in Europe but we’ve made sure they will never know that kind of freedom.
        Cheers mate.

• Daisychain 24th September 2021 at 6:46 am

I remember as a youngish person when we joined the EU. At the time I was totally against it but in retrospect it was a good decision for Britain. However, it decimated the trade of both Australia and New Zealand, almost destroying sheep farming and dairy for NZ. (Daughter lives there and we have discussed this issue). It seems our governments are pretty good at destroying relationships so is it surprising that we are now out in the cold? Possibly literally!

I’m ashamed to be a citizen of a country that behaves in this manner but not surprised at the result. 48% of the population are suffering because 52% decided to leave on false promises.

• DavidOH 24th September 2021 at 11:58 am

These are very negative views Jac, not what the country needs right now. Sure there a hell of a mess to clean up, a lot of planning and work to do, that will take time.
          You mention “freedom” in your reply, we now have that and democracy once again.
          Look ahead not backwards and watch the rest of the EU crumble as they see us progress and prosper.

• Shirlann 25th September 2021 at 10:31 am

But how long is it going to take? Good to see such optimism 👍😁

• DavidOH 25th September 2021 at 10:48 am

My dear Shirlann, who knows, but the ball is rolling, it has began. Does it really matter how long? We are now free to make our way in the world it’s up to us all to persevere through the hard times of adjustment for things to get better.

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 6:02 pm

We were always free.
          We always had sovereignty.
          All that’s happened is that we’re trapped on a tiny Island in the North Sea that is now at third country. We have pissed off our closet allies and we are at the back of the queue as far as a trade deal with the US is concerned.
          To me, that’s a high price to pay for a tacky blue passport.

• paxton1974 28th September 2021 at 12:35 pm

Well said & we dont know have anybody to blame but our own Government who we can kick out at election time . Instead of having to suffer unelected Eu beaurocrats

• Mad Ralph 25th September 2021 at 11:12 am

I voted to leave in the referendum but around two years later I realised I’d made a mistake.
          Watching the political fiasco that followed showed me that our leaders don’t have the tools or intelligence to make decisions on behalf of the people. They fight and bicker over the smallest of things and every mole hill turns into a mountain. Without the influence of the European leaders I think we’re going to flounder and eventually sink back into the depths.
          For us to get through this we need an EPIC change in the we we run things or an “exceptional” leader.

• DavidOH 25th September 2021 at 11:23 am

Nigel Farage is the man

• Mad Ralph 25th September 2021 at 11:27 am

You know what? I think your right, at the moment he’s the best of a bad bunch but I thought he didn’t want the job?

(And I don’t blame him)

• Deleted User 25th September 2021 at 11:05 pm

Nigel Mirage OK I’ve stopped laughing.

• paxton1974 28th September 2021 at 12:39 pm

Totally just watched a video on Youtube with him on FREEDON & FORTUNE about how the elite forced through the Commons all this Wind farm nonsense . With Cameron & Clegg also Milliband families making a fortune out of it while the rest of us pay for it . Disgraceful

• Deleted User 26th September 2021 at 2:29 pm

Negative because I can’t see anything positive?
          Time is what we don’t have.
          They’re talking five to ten years and by that time there will be no way of recovering business lost.

• Alexandra 2013 24th September 2021 at 8:22 am

Totally agree

• Forestbather 23rd September 2021 at 6:23 pm

It’s all ok because the Gammons have blue passports now. Normal people can no longer afford passports anyway.

• Alexandra 2013 24th September 2021 at 8:23 am

Why go abroad? Ok for the heat, but this country has some beautiful places

• Spiritual Guy 27th September 2021 at 12:51 am

Yep, the ones made in Poland by a French / Dutch company

• AndyW 27th September 2021 at 1:40 pm

How do you define “Gammons”? People who don’t agree with you politically who you are happy to insult, or is it a general term for you based on race, gender, age etc? Asking for a black, 30ish, immigrant who voted for Brexit who is very interested in your answer.

• Forestbather 1st October 2021 at 10:29 am

Gammon is the opposite of a remoaner. It’s a very normal term in general use which you could have looked up. So I guess it is political, yes. Nothing to do with race or gender or age. You seem to have me labelled as a racist, so jog on with that.

• AndyW 2nd October 2021 at 8:28 pm

According to the urban dictionary, the term ‘gammon’ is ‘predominantly directed towards white males but, can be directed to most caucasians’, so I’ll leave you to decide whether using it is racist (and sexist) or not. BTW, ‘remoaner’ is defined as a term for ‘people who want to remain in the eu. (Brexit) And moan about Brexit’. So neither race or gender specific.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 23rd September 2021 at 9:46 pm

First statement correct, second statement incorrect. But you know my views Shirlann 🙂 Have a good day there.

• Mad Ralph 24th September 2021 at 9:48 am

Some pictures from my locality before the UK joined the European Union. (There’s links to different areas of the UK on the page as well) Britain was on it’s knees and poverty was rife. Make of this what you will.

https://flashbak.com/powerful-photos-of-manchester-slums-1969-72-54085/

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 6:25 pm

I think that there are a lot if people like you. I think the powers that be knew that if there was a second referendum
        we would have stayed in.
        I remember what it was like here in the 1980’s before the EU money started to kick in. London was a cesspit. The EU gave us some really big opportunities which we seized.
        I feel that we need to live through five years with things getting steadily worse before people are ready to accept that we made a mistake.
        If that happens, and we re-enter thé EU it will be in the same terms as the ascended states or worse.
        I don’t argue with people about this anymore. The cognitive dissonance is too loud.
        I hate watching what has happened to our beautiful island. My best hope is that at some point the damage will stop and our children and grandchildren will reap the benefits that we once had.

• Utterly bemused 24th September 2021 at 11:39 am

My only surprise is that the negative consequences of leaving have manifested themselves so quickly.And I agree with Mad Ralph – many of us on this site remember what it was like before we joined the ‘common market’ – the country was in massive decline, lots of poverty compared to similar countries in Europe.

• Alexandra 2013 25th September 2021 at 5:55 pm

It was the people who voted to leave so maybe we should look at the reasons why they wanted to leave

• Mad Ralph 25th September 2021 at 6:11 pm

For me I voted to leave due the immigration policy. This isn’t a racist comment, I just thought the numbers were unsustainable. Our infrastructure isn’t capable of handling the population we already have. (In the area where I live at least) I’m not against immigration but we have a lot of work to do before we can accommodate the people who arrive.
        *hides behind the sofa* 😬

• Alexandra 2013 25th September 2021 at 6:28 pm

My sentiments exactly. I will welcome anyone who comes here finds their accommodation and job and doesn’t milk the benefits system. I had a friend who’s parents hate it here but couldn’t go back to India as their benefits would stop but they did manage to build a nice big house in India for the family using the benefits. All the technology around I don’t understand why the benefits system cannot be linked to passport control at airports so when anyone on benefits (from all countries) leaves the country then their benefits stop and when they return it kicks in again. Holidays are nice but not essential and benefits should be for essential living. I also know of another person who gets over £400 which goes towards her BMW. It’s so unfair

• Mad Ralph 25th September 2021 at 6:47 pm

The benefits system definitely needs reform but for me its infrastructure that needs investment. Housing/schools/doctor’s surgeries etc. There inadequate, few in number and are already creaking under the strain. A massive building programs needed before we can even think of excepting more people in my opinion.
          (Even after saying all this I’d still change my vote if I were able. Our leaders haven’t filled me with confidence since the referendum and I think we’re on a collision course with DOOM 😫)

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 6:28 pm

However, we are now in the position where we don’t have enough workers to sustain our needs and the government is gradually having to invite back the people who left.
          Yes, there is a massive infrastructure problem, but that is due to lack of investment and austerity not immigration.

• Mad Ralph 27th September 2021 at 6:44 pm

I agree but it’s the lack of investment that makes it impossible to continue immigration at it’s pre-brexit levels. There’s just nowhere to put the extra people.

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 6:50 pm

Economics.
          They produce they work they pay into the system.
          I’m confused what you mean by immigrants.
          Are you talking about the medical staff coming here from the Far East to fill the gaps in the nhs that the returning south Asian and European staff left, or are you talking about those poor refugees? Every way, these people are motivated and want to contribute to our economy.
          After all, no one would come here to go onto UC and languish in holding camps. People come here in search of a better life and to get that they have to work..and like it or not, we have the jobs.

• Mad Ralph 27th September 2021 at 7:00 pm

Erica, I’m not against people coming to the uk, the work may be there but these people need to be HOUSED and this county has a housing crisis.

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 7:09 pm

Which goes back to the fact that I order to solve that wealth has to be created. In order to create wealth you need workers contributing.
          And round we go again.
          It’s an impossible situation, there are no answers apart from local authorities being better funded so that they can invest and solve the current crises.
          However the bar to that is that we want to be a low tax country.
          I’m willing to put money on the fact that the next labour shortage crisis will be in construction… it’s already harder to access materials and resources…‘and round we go again.
          There aren’t enough of us to solve our labour shortage problems…
          It’s such an interesting conundrum….

• SunnyBee 25th September 2021 at 10:37 pm

Once you realise you have made a mistake, the honorable thing to do is face it, say you’re sorry and backtrack. We teach our kids it’s never too late to start again, to make it right… and yet, here we are, giving up 🥺

• Mad Ralph 25th September 2021 at 10:49 pm

I can’t change my vote, there’s no option to do so. (And I don’t think I should be able to change it either, that wouldn’t be democratic)

• Terry75 26th September 2021 at 3:18 pm

We’re only giving up if we want to. I don’t, why would anyone want to be governed by a foreign state unless their only interest is money and what they can get out of it. Whatever happened to patriotism in this country.

• SunnyBee 25th September 2021 at 10:53 pm

So, what you are saying is that correcting mistakes is anti democratic, even tho a democratic majority realises of it?

• Mad Ralph 25th September 2021 at 11:08 pm

I’m saying we voted, a decision was made and it would not be democratic to change the outcome.

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 6:38 pm

A second referendum would not have been anti democratic as the first one was never supposed to be binding.
          If I could turn back time, I would force Cameron to stay as PM and get him to sort out the mess he caused.

I still don’t agree and never will agree with you about immigration. Immigration has brought such wealth and richness to our country and our culture.

What is happening now is testament to the fact that we need immigrants as much as they need us. We should be honoured that people believe in this country so much that they risk their lives and those of their children to come here.

• Mad Ralph 27th September 2021 at 6:48 pm

How many referendums do you suggest we have Erica, do we keep having them until we get the outcome you desire?

• EricaLovesFlowers 27th September 2021 at 7:02 pm

No not at all. Although that was a clear danger if a proposed 2nd ref wasn’t made binding.
          That what the goo-ha was about.
          I think that a lot of people didn’t really understand the issues. There was a lot of hubris and truth twisting.
          Once the the truth started to come out, people started to get possession of the true facts and the implications and would have welcomed the opportunity to change their minds.
          Anyway, we’re out. And we have to live with it. But the way things are going it wouldn’t surprise me if, within 10 years, the prevalent attitude of the country changes.

• Mad Ralph 27th September 2021 at 7:19 pm

Let’s also keep in mind that immigration is still happening on a large scale, brexit only gave us the power to control the numbers from Europe.

• Terry75 26th September 2021 at 6:44 am

I voted to leave and stand by my decision. Nothing to with trade etc. I’m a proud Englishman and didn’t want my country to become a region of Federal Europe. The EU president is appointed not voted in and the Kommissars, again appointed, have the power of veto over MEPs. As for travel I served in Germany in the 70s never had a problem travelling across Europe. Rule Britannia.

• Cheeseman dave 26th September 2021 at 8:57 am

Biggest mistake ever let’s join again quick

• Deleted User 26th September 2021 at 9:12 am

We had full control of our own immigration policy but didn’t implement anything.
      The people voted for Brexit because they were conned by big red busses and other lies.

Lord Sugar
      @Lord_Sugar
      Can someone explain to me the benefits of Brexit now we are out of the EU. We have a shortage of truck drivers, small biz can’t buy or sell unless they set up symbolic companies in the EU. In my opinion the decision to leave was the biggest mistake this country has ever made.
      11:27 pm · 23 Sep 2021·Twitter Web App

• Shirlann 26th September 2021 at 9:25 am

Bit ironic need to almost beg the people we told wasn’t welcome to come back to help us out 🤔if what papers say is true 🤔🙃

• AndyW 27th September 2021 at 1:36 pm

You do know there are driver shortages across the whole globe don’t you? This isn’t a Brexit issue. Just out of interest, do you favour giving priority access to the jobs market to predominantly white European workers or should it be an even system regardless about where in the world you come from?

• Longhotsummer1 26th September 2021 at 9:36 am

Remember the propaganda bus telling us about the millions we gave away each month to Europe , I know now it was fabricated (lie) but even now we must be saving something from existing the EU
      How much are we saving ,and where is it going ??

• Dreamyboy 26th September 2021 at 5:32 pm

I’m surprised we don’t hear reports on Brits returning from Spain – we know lots who worked in the leisure industry (bars/restaurants) so very much hand to mouth, who had enough for their rent and food/drink. They were told after Brexit that they were no longer EU citizens and unless they had contracts and at least over 20,000 euros in the bank they had to leave – there must be 1000’s of these people who have returned back to the UK from along the Spanish Costas who need financial help and housing.

• SunnyBee 26th September 2021 at 11:49 pm

Interesting… however, the facts are different from what the people you know have told you.

https://balcellsgroup.com/what-will-happen-to-uk-citizens-in-spain-after-brexit/

Similar to the transition within UK for Europeans to regulate their residency, Spain offered exactly the same deal. A simple matter to request such residency proving you are actually living there. Of course, they did have a deadline.

• Dreamyboy 27th September 2021 at 10:47 am

Thanks for that – but as you see, that was for brits who were officially resident out there in the first place, the ones I meant were people who work in the ‘gray’ area of the Spanish leisure industry, who do not pay into tax system – the ‘Benidorm Brits’ of TV fame sort of people.

• 650cc dominator 2 27th September 2021 at 2:00 pm

Best thing ever. They were just bleeding us for every penny. And still are. These remainders just won’t give up.

• Deleted User 27th September 2021 at 6:37 pm

I’m dreading it when we have to start going across the Chanel in rubber boats trying to escape!

• linda g 27th September 2021 at 7:37 pm

Independent thinker here!
      I voted to leave the EU and I stand by it…I neither feel conned nor feel i ‘misunderstood the issues’….and actually when people (remainers) that say we leavers didn’t understand what we were voting for, well it’s a tad insulting…I’m mean, are us leavers all thickos? Well we cant all be, can we…..we were the majority.
      A referendum decision should stand…not be repeated or recalled cos some of you didn’t like the outcome.
      The lorry driver shortage is across the whole of the EU as well as here.
      Immigration is always a positive.
      X

• Mad Ralph 27th September 2021 at 7:48 pm

I wish I’d have stayed behind the sofa.

• Dreamyboy 27th September 2021 at 10:57 pm

Personally in my case leaving the EU affected me because I have property abroad so can only go 90 days out of every 180 now instead of whenever I wanted to – but I did notice that Spain, which has little main industry apart from tourism, relies heavily on money from the rest of the EU countries – The local paper on our part of the Costa will in passing on a weekly basis report on millions of euros worth of work and upgrades being done, which I take it is repeated across the rest of Spain – our local paper in Britain would make headline news to receive a six figure sum just once! So I take it the UK is no longer funding the poorer countries in Europe, although I would like to see what is actually happening to the money saved if any.

• Jane Blackmore 1st October 2021 at 11:09 am

I have always felt that I was a European first and then British. During our time in the EU I was able to live and work in both Cyprus and Spain. There were a few hoops to jump through but at least I didn’t have to be a millionaire in order to live there. What have we done for our children and grandchildren? I was living in South Africa when it was decided to go into the EU so did not vote either way. I voted to stay in when we had the referendum. At the time I was living in Cornwall in a fishing village. The fishermen all believed that fishing quotas etc would end as soon as we left the EU but no of course it didn’t happen. Their business has now got even more difficult. The farmers now can’t get people to pick and lift their crops as none of the British wish to work on the land. There is a shortage of HGV drivers, there is a shortage of people working in the hospitality business, there is a shortage of people working in the NHS and the care sector. What have we gained by leaving the EU – nothing. My husband was a leaver and I have to restrain myself at the moment from saying “Told you so”! Goodness knows how long it will take for us to get back into some sort of order. I just feel so cross about it.!!

• Shirlann 1st October 2021 at 11:44 am

Well I’m still feeling it was wrong but we’re stuck with it now!!!

Add