Home Forums Science & Nature Clearing out my shed, I found that all items on th...

LawrieL Posted 10 months ago
Clearing out my shed, I found that all items on the floor where literally glued to the floor. Eventually prised each item off only to find these underneath (also adhered to the floor leaving grub shaped iindentations in the wood). Does anyone know what they are?
1 like & 11 replies
    • Deleted User 9th August 2021 at 6:06 pm

Looks like a “bee moths” nest 🦋

• LawrieL 9th August 2021 at 6:30 pm

WOW Iris, that was quick! Yes, looks very much like the ‘nests’ in my shed. I need to google to see what I should do. THANK YOU – they were giving me the creeps but didn’t want to harm them …. now I know not to just get rid! ☺️

• LawrieL 9th August 2021 at 6:41 pm

Oh dear, I understand they’re considered a pest – oh eck, what a dilemma, should I let nature takes it’s course or dispose of as humanely as poss.

• lindsay 10th August 2021 at 1:35 pm

Maybe just leave them for a day or 2 and see if they disperse..Just because some people brand something as a pest doesn’t mean they really are. I tend to give things the benefit of the doubt.

• LawrieL 10th August 2021 at 1:52 pm

Lindsay, from what I’ve read they’re not due to ‘hatch’ until spring (overwintering in my shed!). However, bee Moths are a bee-keepers enemy, completely destroying the hives. I will leave them for now, even though they give me the creeps to look at and take advice at a later stage.

• Deleted User 10th August 2021 at 1:58 pm

I’d poor bleach on them as I’m on the bees side and really really wicked.

• MaeKrugern 23rd December 2021 at 11:16 am

Hello, LawrieL! I don’t want to improve your paranoia, but Are you sure that is only one bee moths nest is in your house? Usually, they are running with multiple numbers. Check your walls and floor. Maybe you will need to call some pest service. The nest you found is huge, and it can mean that you can look for some smaller ones around. I recommend you call the proper pest service or take online consultation. Here is the link https://ajverminatorpestcontrol.com/. You can talk with them about your problem.

• LawrieL 23rd December 2021 at 11:46 am

MaeKrugern. Thankfully they were in my shed at the bottom of the garden and NOT in my house! I’ve decided to leave them until they hatch in the spring (door left wide open for them to escape). From what I’ve been advised they not the demons they’re made out to be 🤞🙏🏻 just very creepy to look at 😬

• lillianlambert 4th April 2022 at 10:25 pm

Yes, those are bee moths indeed. I had an infestation of those in my house. Truly not a fun time for me. I had some old boxes that I put into storage in the basement around two or three years ago.

• LawrieL 7th April 2022 at 6:46 pm

Lillianlambert. Did you let them hatch, or have them disposed of. I thought mine would start hatching by now, but no sign of movement as far as I know – they give me the creeps to look at. Thank goodness they’re in the shed and not in my home, I couldn’t cope with that 😬

• lillianlambert1 10th April 2022 at 10:15 pm

Yes, those are bee moths indeed. I had an infestation of those in my house. Truly not a fun time for me. I had some old boxes that I put into storage in the basement around two or three years ago. I put heavy-duty trash bags around them to stop anything from getting in or out. We were going through the basement, and there were thousands of small holes in the garbage bags and several thousand desiccated bee moth cocoons all over the boxes. One of the boxes was full of them. It was so disgusting, and since I get easily sick, I left the basement immediately and called a pest control service to get rid of them. For more information visit https://enviropcs.com.au/.

Add