Home Forums TV, Film & Radio Channel 4

• Have been thinking about some of the programmes that were on CH4 when it began that I enjoyed, but never saw again. Programmes like Alice which was very popular. My favourite though, was Murun Buchstansangur. It was listed as a children’s animation but it didn’t seem to be for children to me. I have met very few people who remember it and absolutely no one else who liked it !

Posted by holden
    • Reply by Vixster

Can’t say I know either of those but I don’t think C4 was around when I was a child. I do watch a few shows now though – Last Leg, Gogglebox, SAS, Hunted, Handmaids Tale, Bake Off, 8 out of 10 cats so mainly comedy and reality shows!

• Reply by holden

I was 19 when it started. Although I do remember that a TV we had when I was very young only had BBC1 and ITV, you could get BBC2 but only when the tv was upside down…watched the whole of The Hound Of The Baskervilles like that lol.

• Reply by AllsGravy

😄😄😄😄😄😄

Attachments:
        • Reply by holden

Haha, the very one with old Basil 😀

• Reply by holden

I should add that the tv was upside down, but so was I, so it wasn’t so bad. Didn’t realise ’till years later that it wasn’t actually snowing throughout the entire film, inside and out.

• Reply by David713

Slightly worried whether you’re classing Handmaid’s tale as comedy or reality! Either way I don’t think I will be looking to visit anytime soon.

• Reply by holden

I no longer have a tv, so it’s only old programmes I know, though I have seen Googlebox on Britbox

• Reply by AllsGravy

I think we are twinned with Gilead.

• Reply by alanski

I haven’t seen Handmaids Tale, but I understand that it is horror. 🙂

• Reply by aspie auntie

I enjoy The Last Leg, but I was a bit disappointed with the Paralympics Homecoming programme. Adam Hills said Alex Brooker was unwell and I did miss him.

• Reply by Rtb

The Tube

• Reply by holden

I went to the Tube ! A club I used to go to near Motherwell were asked if they would like to have a coach party attend the tube (there were several Scottish bands on that week) so, off we went. Great fun! Paula, Jools and Muriel were in the pub across the road afterwards.

• Reply by David713

Very envious. I used to love The Tube.

• Reply by holden

Do you remember when Frankie Goes To Hollywood were first on it.?..oh my, my mother was furious, if she could have picked up the TV and chucked it out the window, she would have done haha

• Reply by David713

They did like to shock, didn’t they? Surprised that your mum let you go to the filming.

• Reply by holden

oh no, i was just at an episode of the Tube. not the one FGTH were on. However, a few weeks before they were on the Tube, they didn’t have a record contract, they were due to play at a nightclub in Edinburgh, some friends and I were going to go, because we went there often, but knew nothing about the band. but, it was the wrong type of snow on the tracks that night so no trains…so we never got to see them…in hindsight it was probably just as well..i used to hide when Tom Jones gyrated !

• Reply by AllsGravy

Like Tiswas generation grown up – the same feeling of live, anything-can-happen excitement and irreverence to things like conservative/ controlled Blue Peter and ToTP.

• Reply by aspie auntie

I remember Murun Buchstansangur! He was a grey creature who lived in a hole in the floorboards.

• Reply by holden

Yes! he was a bit miserable but also a bit philosophical. Wonderful voice in the narration.

• Reply by AllsGravy

I don’t remember it from broadcast, but Murun Buchstansangur is on YouTube. (Not great quality)

• Reply by AllsGravy

This government, embarrassed that they have little editorial control over C4 content & stopped doing C4 News interviews since BJ became PM in 2019 following the “paradise papers” exposé and the named Tory MPs and party donors. Intend to sell off C4 asap.

The UK will lose a publicly owned, advertising-funded, profit-making, niche-filling, major and diverse national employer, with an autonomous editorial voice and a sound internationally admired reputation for production – punching well beyond its weight.

It has held the torch in UK broadcasting since 2010 when the BBC became the official propaganda arm of the government with the various revolving door appointments between New Broadcasting House and Downing Street, and it’s consistently kept to its remit of innovative, minority programming which reaches beyond the intended minority audiences to nurture & produce some of the highest rating shows (and best sell-on formats) on TV.

Early doors risk-taking (first all-black UK sitcom, when ITV we’re still showing Love They Neighour) Desmonds to enduring Countdown.

Matched by their film production, which at the time was not only the only independent film production in the UK, but kept Shepperton and Pinewood Studios open and proved movie-making in the UK could turn a profit and had an international audience. From My Beautiful Laundrette, Trainspotting, Four Weddings…, 12 Years a Slave. And has nurtured directors like Ken Loach, Stephen Frears, Steve McQueen, Shane Meadows, Danny Boyle, Peter Greenaway, Mike Newell…

You will (have) see(n) petitions to save C4 from privatisation – from becoming another Channel 5, owned by Viacom, full of neoliberal cheap docs on the royals/Hitler, compilation clip shows and game shows, probably worth considering signing given the mess made of all other Tory privatisations for the consumer?

• Reply by holden

I didn’t know about the intended privatisation. I gave up on newspapers about 2 years ago and don’t watch the news. I listen to news on the radio but other than the Shipping Forecast it’s radio 2, so not exactly in-depth analysis. I will read up on it a bit more.

• Reply by AllsGravy

C4 moved its HQ to Leeds (opened officially last week) although News and current affairs will remain in Charlotte Street London. You’ll have noticed shows like Steph’s Packed Lunch comes from Leeds and First Dates has moved to a Manchester restaurant. Countdown has always been from Leeds (old Yorkshire TV studios).

• Reply by Toffee196

How can we have a conversation about Ch 4 without a single reference to Brooky?

• Reply by holden

I’d forgotten about it !! Was the mum and dad from The Royle family a married couple in that too ?

• Reply by alanski

re Murun Buchstansangur:- lots of videos available on YouTube

• Reply by Paul of Southampton

Square Pegs was a great prog. Wish it would get repeated.

C4 had a lot of interesting progs in the early days – “Who Dares Win”

• Reply by aspie auntie

Was Sarah Jessica Parker in Square Pegs – the school sitcom, before she was in Sex & The City? I know she played a rather giddy shopgirl in the film ‘L.A. Story’ around that time.

• Reply by aspie auntie

Tony Robinson and the pandas!

• Reply by holden

I don’t know Square Pegs. I know The Square Peg, Norman Wisdom film, but i’m guessing that’s not what you mean 🙂

• Reply by Paul of Southampton

See above. It was a US school comedy type but was funny

• Reply by Chi

Wow! That is a blast from the past! A bunch of us watched Murun Buchstansangur and tried to discuss what it was all about… A bit bonkers it was! But I still love C4 although I hate some of its trash content…

Add