Home Forums General Changing reading interests

Milesy24 Posted 6 months ago
Changing reading interests

While I was working full time I read fiction, almost exclusively. Since I started semi-retirement, a couple of years ago, I have (nearly exclusively) read only non-fiction. Not a deliberate decision, it just seems to have worked out like that!
Has anyone else had a similar or opposite experience? Can anyone suggest why my interests seem to have changed?

1 like & 4 replies
    • Flufff 11th February 2022 at 10:35 pm

Age, possibly? Interests changed?

• Vixster 12th February 2022 at 11:53 am

Change is good so you took the opportunity to alter your reading habits. I have often changed the type of fiction I read but don’t often do factual. I think I got enough of that from work.

• SH 12th February 2022 at 1:10 pm

I think when you work full time, with all the pressure that it brings, you look for ways to escape and reading fiction is a great way to lose yourself and forget about the every day things. Once you retire, I believe you have the time to free your mind and as human beings we want to learn, it’s also a good way to keep you mind active. Well, that’s my thoughts anyway. I semi retired seven months ago and haven’t really made good use of my time, just lost a bit of motivation, whilst I was working I was fully motivated and seemed to get more things done.

• Reverend Nick 13th February 2022 at 6:19 pm

It’s certainly true for me – and again since I’ve been retired. Ecclesiastical history and philosophy – not the kind of thing you can read in your lunch break at work with the constant interruptions.

At home lunch time, I like to relax with a good murder mystery – just started the Inspector Lynley series.

Add