Home Forums Jobs & Careers Career change in my 50s

Coast66 Posted 1 year ago
Career change in my 50s

I have been looking to change my career and to become an Oven cleaner, not for a franchise as I would like to build a client base myself locally, I am already self employed and know how hard it can be, has anyone else become an oven cleaner and have any tips etc.

5 likes & 30 replies
    • Elizabeth L 18th April 2021 at 11:56 am

My experience of oven cleaners has been really bad due to the company using the wrong products and ruining the interior of my oven and then not putting it right financially. Trading Standards weren’t interested “due to cut-backs”… so I would say that people will be looking for proof of excellent service, clear experience and a guarantee of satisfaction and probably insurance cover. I do hope it works out for you and wish you well.

• emmawarner96 27th April 2021 at 7:46 am

I recommend you to don’t try to shift your career to new field specially at this age, try to get success in the field you have working since past 10 to 15 years. After such a vast experience you probably knows the ups and downs of that domain as compare to new one you definitely don’t have practical knowledge about working in a field you are new in that so it brings many problem for you. Its just my personal advice and a part from that Good Luck to you.

• y_not 27th April 2021 at 8:56 am

Oven cleaning is, by definition, quite restricted.
      Consider something a little broader to encompass a wider audience.
      My window cleaner makes two thirds of his income from businesses – could you consider that e.g. school canteen deep cleaning and office canteens/tearooms?
      Chose a business name that reflects what you do.
      Good luck

• Shonzie 29th April 2021 at 7:23 pm

I got an oven cleaner when I moved house as the oven was disgusting. He took about 2hrs but it was like new (it was only 2yrs old). Maybe because I hate cleaning my oven, but I would have paid twice as much for him to do it. You must be a brave lady to want to do that for a living but I really hope it works out for you. I want to change my career at 60 but just haven’t got a clue what I want to do.

• jim 29th April 2021 at 8:51 pm

It’s never too late. A friend of time took up a job as strategy director for a utility company at 63. First be CLEAR about why do you want a new career? Is it important to earn money and, if so, how would this have to compare with your current earnings. If money is not the key there may be some very good voluntary roles which may easier (but not easy) to secure. Great thing is often at 60 you can take advantage of a wide range of options from part time, interim, contract, start your own business, take out a franchise etc. so think flexibly.
        Reflect hard on your transferable skills, natural talents, experience, values and aspirations. Know yourself then look at your market to search for roles which might fit.
        As you get more mature Networking becomes critically important. I don’t mean this to be in a manipulative way. Be genuine but this is where your best chance will come NOT through responding to advertised jobs. hope this helps

• Lorena 29th April 2021 at 7:47 pm

I did work as a housekeeper for a while and I never had a complain about oven cleaning, just praises. The right oven cleaner sometimes is bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and lemon using it properly it works miracles specially for delicate ovens that do not support strong chemicals. A really good workout as well. Wish you the best.

• Nanny Nita 29th April 2021 at 8:00 pm

I can’t give an opinion about changing career to an oven cleaner, although I celebrate such ambition, however, I would like an oven cleaner so if you do, count me in.

• Bezzyboo 29th April 2021 at 11:58 pm

Definitely check out all the pros and cons before you jump into it. Maybe you could start up as a part time business while you’re still working your day job if you need to earn, or even consider part time for both jobs to make a full week.

You can only build up your clientele by working and demonstrating your skills so it’s catch 22 really. If you don’t offer the service you can’t get the custom.

Have you thought about advertising? Leafleting could be expensive and the door to door delivery is boring. Social media’s great, along with word of mouth. What about competition in your area? What would be your unique selling point? You really need something that’s going to make you stand out from the rest, to make you the best! I wouldn’t dream of saying ‘naked oven cleaner’ – (but wearing your apron of course 😂) but it would certainly catch people’s attention! 🙈
      Make your USP unique!

What equipment will you use? Good old elbow grease or some kind of machinery that will make it quicker and easier? Plain old water and natural cleaners or chemicals which may affect you and your clients.

And is there real money to be earnt from the job? Will you be able to earn a living? You’d need to have the money upfront to start, a vehicle and insurance for the business and insurance for you. What if you hurt your back with all the bending down and can’t work for a while?

Jot it all down and mull it over. You’re doing the right thing getting peoples opinions, but the ones that matter most are those of your family and friends.

I also believe it’s never too late to change your career. Do what you want to do, as long as it’ll make you happy. Life’s too short to be miserable in your job or at work.

Good luck though. It will be interesting to learn what you eventually decide 🙂👍🏼

• Coast66 1st May 2021 at 8:58 am

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions, yes I was thinking about going part time at first with it as an independent, I have looked at all the franchise models and it looks expensive and you still have to generate clients in an territory they give you,

I have spoken to friends and they say go for it, as you say life is to short.

• Bezzyboo 1st May 2021 at 9:36 am

The world’s your oyster.. or is it toaster? 😉 😂

Whatever it is – reach for the stars and go for it!

Good luck 🤞🏼

• Blackbird 30th April 2021 at 7:34 am

Well done for branching out and doing something new . Don’t listen to negative comments , if it’s something you believe in then do it . Key thing is good customer service as you want referrals and for them to recommend to your friends . I’ve another idea – I’ll PM

• Trampus 30th April 2021 at 8:44 am

I applaud your ambition. Many people change careers at all sorts of ages, just look at those that were forced to do so because of Covid and now bless the fact they changed. Make sure you research what it is you want to do, are you prepared to travel etc. However you do have to get your name out there, sometimes a Franchise is good to start with as they will give you a name base and reputation and then you can go it alone. Good luck.

• kateesmarch 30th April 2021 at 11:25 am

A change of career can be achieved at any age. Personally I had a change from something I’d been doing for ever, quite recently, to something entirely different – it’s a steep learning curve but I’m really happy I took the plunge. Just because we’re over 50 doesn’t mean we can’t learn and do new things. Go for it if you’re happy you’ve done the research – good luck 🤞

• Coast66 1st May 2021 at 8:52 am

Many thanks for your comments, and yes I do agree with you, I have also helped at a school this year as a covid tester so cleaning someone’s cooker should be ok for me.

• Amazing sea 30th April 2021 at 12:51 pm

I made the decision that I’d change my career when I moved house, it could of been easy to slip back to my previous work in catering.
      However I had worked as a volunteer activity helper for over 16 years with special needs whilst holding down a catering job too.
      I applied for activity jobs and started working in this line of work, and then was made redundant due to covid. More recently been back with volunteering again and get so much out of it. Would be nice to be recognised for my efforts and get some sort of pay.
      Changing career is good it was a positive step for me.

• Colin in Kent 30th April 2021 at 3:00 pm

We used an oven cleaner about three years ago, and when we were looking to have our current oven cleaned we found the same chap was still doing the area. He was absolutely excellent, and says he now has about 3000 clients on his books! It took him about two hours, and left it immaculate. It does seem to be an excellent self-employed area to get into, if you can tap into that word of mouth market.

• Coast66 1st May 2021 at 8:48 am

Thanks Colin, I think nowadays slot of people don’t have the time to clean there ovens with busy life’s and work commitments, I was thinking of starting oven cleaning part time at first after getting some hands on training first, I have taken an online course and like meeting people, like most of us over the last year I have had to adapt with work. Thanks for your comments Colin.

• Colin in Kent 2nd May 2021 at 11:56 am

No problem, and good luck. I agree, it’s a backbreaking task that most people are happy to give to someone else. Fingers crossed you get your first customers soon!

• HeatherE 30th April 2021 at 5:15 pm

I don’t know anything about being an oven cleaner but I would say go for it if that’s what you want to do. I’m about to change careers at the age of 70. Next week I start training as a perosnal trainer. Good luck!

• Deleted User 30th April 2021 at 11:00 pm

Oven Cleaner??
      Don’t all new ovens clean themselves these days….oh wait no it come to the UK. : https://justbaking.co.uk/best-self-cleaning-ovens/

Cheers
      David
      A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

• Coast66 1st May 2021 at 8:41 am

Thanks David, I don’t have or no anyone with a self cleaning oven, does a self cleaning oven strip down the glass from the door and clean out all the debris from the inside of the oven? If anyone has a self cleaning oven could they please leave a comment.

• Deleted User 1st May 2021 at 8:51 am

I do, I just set the dial and leave it on, oh wait I see your point now. This is where I say “Doh!” or “Ops” and blame the lack of intelligence on my part as I desperately try to find a way out of that hole I just dug.

Cheers
        David
        Artificial intelligence is no match for my natural stupidity.

• Coast66 1st May 2021 at 9:15 am

No it was a good point Colin, it’s a bit like a automatic car wash is as good as a hand washed car, I will have a look at self cleaning ovens so at least I am gened up thanks.

• Bezzyboo 1st May 2021 at 9:39 am

Self cleaning ovens only do the sides of the cavity. They don’t pick up the burnt on drops of gravy/sauce off the bottom or the crumbs from that crumble. Well, mines a couple of months old and hasn’t done that yet. I’m still waiting for the bells and whistles to go off when it does happen 😂

• Deleted User 3rd May 2021 at 5:53 pm

After each oven clean, book the next one – fills the diary.

Get them to put you under ‘oven cleaner’ on phone or in book, they never remember name but ‘oven cleaner’ makes for easy referrals.

That’s £100 for tips where do I send invoice? 😂

• Wellsprungalice 13th June 2021 at 2:47 pm

I think it’s an excellent idea. You’ve got low outlay and almost everyone owns an oven. It’s also easy to do part time around other commitments or existing job. I had a client once who wanted to be a horse-whisperer but at the time worked as a manager of an early-years centre. She decided to use all her annual leave to train in South America and picked up early clients at various horse-related meets. Her client base came from recommendation. When her book got too big to manage around her job, she went part time in the job and slowly shifted the percentage until she was full time in her chosen occupation. It did mean working 7 days at one point, but it eventually shifted so she was back to a 5-day pattern, albeit not Mon-Fri.

My only reservation for you is that what you’ve chosen is quite repetitive and hard on the knees. So, I’m going to suggest you focus on it for the first year or so and then look to branch out. An oven cleaner I know has also trained in pest removal (mainly using poisons, but learning where to look and what the signs are) and later also trained to remove wasps and (per legal permissions) when and how to remove bees safely. I believe she was on with learning how to remove moles last time I caught up. There are lots of ‘small domestic’ services like this – pressure washing, fence and shed painting, gutter cleaning etc – you could take on that would give you a varied work pattern (and save your knees).

• Kamran Saeed 23rd December 2021 at 5:00 am

Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual.
      Optus Bill App.

• Trampus 17th January 2022 at 11:48 am

You don’t say what your current line of work is. Changing to self-employed is a big step and takes courage. However following some of the prior comments, as you say yourself you have to build a client base, try it part-time first. Maybe weekends and evenings,. build a small base before you switch completely. This kind of work is “word of mouth” stuff, if you do a good job people will pass your details on. Remember though, One person with a complaint will tell 9 others and so on. One piece of good work, they will only tell one, maybe two friends. See if you can get some experience in first, before you switch. Most of all, good luck with whatever you decide.

Add