Home Forums Travel Camping

Alex Posted 1 year ago
Camping

I can’t wait for campsites to be open again and the weather to improve. Shower and toilet blocks etc won’t open until June though – has anyone braved a campsite yet in 2021 out of pure desperation?

3 likes & 22 replies
    • Selsdon 28th April 2021 at 7:27 pm

I would have to be very desperate! 🤣

• Alex 29th April 2021 at 5:11 pm

For sure a hotel or apartment sounds better, but sometimes camping just hits the spot for me! Funnily enough non of my friends seem too keen on the idea.

• Africa31 29th April 2021 at 10:31 am

Not as yet. But I’ve seen posts on people who have been wild camping this weekend gone in Scotland. I’m hoping to get out towards the end of May.

• Andy Paddles 29th April 2021 at 12:57 pm

Lots of folk still getting out wild on the Cumbrian fells, although I hear that in the Peaks there’s been a big crack down on wild campers!

As soon as it stops being quite so Baltic I’ll be out! New tent arrived about 2 weeks ago! Exciting!

• Alex 29th April 2021 at 5:09 pm

Aren’t the peaks free to roam? What about wild camping? Is that the same?

• Andy Paddles 29th April 2021 at 6:16 pm

Not entirely free to roam – but yes, there is an extensive network of public footpaths etc in The Peaks. However wild camping is not allowed.

In the Lakes also not allowed however if you get up high (or find an inaccessible shore) and ALLE and LNT then you have generally been OK.

Over the last few years the Fly Campers have been on the rise – bringing beer and destruction!

There are certain parts of Dartmoor where wild camping is legal.

And then of course there is wonderful Scotland – however, the rise of the Fly Camper is starting to change attitudes! 😭

• Alex 29th April 2021 at 6:20 pm

Very interesting – thanks Andy!

Maybe I am thinking of the Yorkshire Moors then? I know you can go and walk in pretty much any direction you want up there.

It only takes a few fly campers to ruin it – hopefully not – and something can be done before we lose more freedoms.

• Andy Paddles 29th April 2021 at 6:25 pm

Fingers crossed – I understand that there are moves afoot to uplift trespass from a civil to a criminal matter!

And as a kayaker don’t even get me started on river access!

• Cyclebunny 29th April 2021 at 12:46 pm

Think everything actually opens 17th May on campsites, which is why I moved my camping at Bodium from late April to 17th May. 🤞

• Africa31 29th April 2021 at 1:04 pm

I thought wild camping wasn’t allowed down south. We can still wild camping in Scotland 😊. Hope you enjoy your new tent. I’m not so much into wild camping, I don’t mind a night of 2… I still prefer to be in a campsite but I believe they are filling up fast for end May onwards .

• Lisa D 29th April 2021 at 5:22 pm

Nothing on earth would get me to go camping! Too many bad memories of camping when my children were small! The small people and then husband loved it but l like a comfortable bed and my own bathroom lol

• Susan43 30th April 2021 at 9:34 am

We went to a campsite in Seahouses in our campervan. It was a bit chilly, but blissfully quiet. Campsite toilets were open, and very clean. Also open air dishwashing area. If you have, or can rent a van with a shower/loo, I would recommend it.

• CatherineMcNamara49 30th April 2021 at 10:53 am

Booked the Vegan camp out in August. First time in a tent since Girl guides. Might give me the camping bug or not.

• Malley 30th April 2021 at 2:05 pm

We went to a caravan club site a couple of weeks ago. We were told that the facilities would be closed. When we got there, they had been partly opened a couple of days before. It worked very well. We had a great time and can’t wait to be off again.

• Cathy. 30th April 2021 at 3:48 pm

Its like a festival, talks and shows in the day and drinking and dancing in the evening. Familys and singles. lots of vegan stalls and food/drink. https://www.vegancampout.co.uk/

• Deleted User 30th April 2021 at 5:58 pm

I am booked for 3 or 4 campsites. But understood toilets etc were open after 17 May

• Andie 4th May 2021 at 11:20 pm

Have braved camping a few times…….won’t be doing it again 🤪
      Love wild camping with campervan though. It’s easier and less restrictive in Spain/Portugal, I’ve had some cool adventures in the past 😊

• Alex 12th May 2021 at 12:10 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to campervan across New Zealand – it was the best time of my life I think. They’re very open with their camping, as long as you’re not somewhere dangerous you can park up and stay – but obviously they prefer you in campsites and they designate or restrict where you can stay.

Is it the same for Spain and Portugal?

• Andie 12th May 2021 at 12:56 pm

Yes….they are far more relaxed about letting you pull up for the night! 🙂
          I found the Portuguese particularly helpful and friendly 💕

Add