Home Forums House & Home Calling all Eco warriors! Do you have any tried an...

• Calling all Eco warriors! Do you have any tried and liked natural solutions for self care or household tasks?

In lockdown 1, I had to make my own antibacterial gel from alcohol and aloe Vera and used natural coconut oil for hair conditioner. This made me wonder how many other natural products I could use for daily tasks instead of using more environmentally damaging chemical products. Any suggestions?

Posted by JaneG
    • Reply by Vondrak

Hi, I would recommend Janie lee Grace, Inperfectleynatutal.com

She is an advocate for all things natural.

• Reply by NYC to UK

White vinegar makes a fab cleaner andd disinfectant instead of harsh chemicals.

• Reply by Renoir64

We use this and the bonus is that the shower smells like chips for a while. But very effective.

• Reply by Beemfuller

You can add bi carb soda, and also some natural oils, lemon is a great cleanser

• Reply by andrea

4 table spoons of distilled water mixed with 4 table spoons of white vinegar cleans really well, especially glass , mirrors, computer screens etc . Just wipe over and dry with a soft clean cloth

• Reply by Josie The Black Country Wench

I use a mixture of white vinegar, water and a little lemon juice in stead of fabric softner. White vinegar and bircarbonate of soda for keeping my drains clean, we have a septic tank so cannot use bleach or any other nasty chemicals. I put it down the sink plug holes at night and then flush with hot water in the morning.
      I use Tea Tree oil in water for wiping down surfaces and cleaning my floors.

• Reply by JaneG

Thank you for such helpful suggestions. I hadn’t thought there would be an alternative for fabric softener so am keen to try this.

• Reply by Bundy

Try koh, it cleans pretty much everything without chemicals

• Reply by JaneG

Thanks Bundy. What is Koh and where do I find it?
      The turning point for me was when a doctoral chemist told me that he has to sign for access to chemicals that are in some of our supermarket products. It can’t be good to pour those down the drain on a regular basis!

• Reply by Sue47

My cleaning cupboard consists of white vinegar, bicarb, lemon juice, spray bottles and several cut up old tee-shirts etc. For mirrors, windows and the removal of water stains in vases 25% white vinegar 75% water, to descale kettles, irons and, marks on sinks, draining boards, taps and bathrooms a 50/50% mix with a good squirt of lemon juice. To de-weed between paving slabs ordinary cheap kitchen salt. Do it on a dry day as rain water can make it bleed onto the edges of lawns. As someone has mentioned, vinegar makes a good fabric softener if you want one, personally I haven’t used one for years. A thick paste of bicarb, salt and lemon juice will clean the oven. I have a tin of wax polish for my wooden furniture but was told by a French polisher you shouldn’t use it more that 3/4 times a year, just give the furniture a good rub in between. Sorry I rambled but using chemicals is a big no-no for me 🙂

• Reply by JaneG

That wasn’t a ramble Sue L but some really helpful advice. I have all the ingredients to put some into practice tomorrow. Thank you!

• Reply by andrea

4 tablespoons of white vinegar mixed with 4 table spoons of distilled water. Great for cleaning screens, mirrors, black glass surfaces etc. Soak liquid onto a clean dry cloth. Wipe surface and dry with towel or micro fibre cloth.

• Reply by aman

Soap nuts are a very inexpensive and effective alternative to laundry powders/liquids.

• Reply by Renoir64

I would agree with this. They work very well.

• Reply by JaneG

Thanks for the suggestion Aman. I’ve not heard of soap nuts! I have recently tried shampoo and conditioner bars. The only difficulty was getting it out of the container!

• Reply by Renoir64

I still use an old trick my grandmother used to do. A crumpled up newspaper will bring your Windows up a treat. No quite eco but it is recycling.

Add