Home Forums Jobs & Careers Business Start-up

Add comment

• Business Start-up

Hi,

As I mentioned in my intro blurb, I do have a plan. I’m fed up with employers not offering me a job, so I decided to employ myself and start a business as an author of fantasy, Sci-Fi and Supernatural tales.

I’m pretty good with words and have been writing as a hobby for about 20 years. I even had a short story published in an anthology a few years back.

To prepare for this, I enrolled on a Business Start-Up course with City College Peterborough and it has given me some great ideas. I’m hoping to officially launch in February 2020 and have a lot to do over the next couple of months.

To anyone thinking of going self-employed, I’d suggest you do a lot of research for your chosen business and enrol a similar start-up course. It will give you the basics you need and maybe generate some contacts among other learners.

I’ll keep posting here as I make progress.

Colin

Posted by colinabrett
Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Reply by Steve Cooper

Hi Colin

Brilliant. Wish you all the success for your new venture it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

I would add that anybody considering going self-employed but unsure of the technicalities of doing so should look on the https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services My Gov website, as they do a great range of information in bite-sized chunks, including free webinars and videos, I found it extremely useful when I was considering going SE and being the “official” outlet so to speak their info is up to date and relevant.

Regards

Steve

• Reply by Stuart

Hi Colin,

Thanks for sharing and great to hear!    I’m sure the group would love to hear more about how you get on.

You’re not alone in having taken the plunge to go self employed – we did some research into the ONS stats on this and found that nearly 1 in 2 of all self employed workers were over 50!   Some for the freedom, and some because they wanted to take back control of a biased recruitment process.

One of the key things as a writer, is where to advertise your services – have you had any success with specific platforms that you’d be willing to share with others?    i.e have you found upwork any good?    or are you publishing books directly through Amazon perhaps?     Or have you had more success speaking directly to relevant publishers in your specific field?

In addition to your Business Start-Up course, did you come across any other helpful resources in getting started?

Welcome to the community and the best of luck to you – it sounds very exciting!

Stuart

Viewing 1 reply thread