Home Forums General Broadband Provider – Best/Worst. What a over...

Flufff Posted 5 months ago
Broadband Provider – Best/Worst. What a over involved process trying to figure out who to go with.
41 replies
    • Cheers on toast 2nd February 2022 at 2:15 pm

I have been having the same problem with my new place, some say I need a new phone line some say I don’t.
      I have decided to go along the route of a 4G modem and sim card, I’m just trying different mobile providers to see which gives the best signal.

• Reverend Nick 2nd February 2022 at 4:05 pm

We go with BT – They’re not the cheapest by any stretch of the imagination – I pay about 70 quid a month for broadband, home phone line and mobile. However, it’s fast and reliable + you’re entitled to connect to the BT Wi Fi hot- spots when you’re on the move. I don’t have things like the call minder service. I don’t care who’s tried to call me – and I’ve certainly no intention of calling them back (National Lottery wins excepted)

So yeah, not the cheapest, but I really do not want the trouble of flitting from one service provider to another, changing all my e mail addresses etc, every time, just to save £3.49 a month.

• Vixster 2nd February 2022 at 4:31 pm

Don’t go with Virgin Media – they have rubbish customer service and it’s really difficult to talk to someone who can help you.

• Flufff 2nd February 2022 at 4:34 pm

Do you find this is the case with most of them? I know I have,so far.

• Selsdon 2nd February 2022 at 4:43 pm

I’m with Virgin Media (cable) at the moment. Was about to leave after they hiked their charges at the end of my deal and join Xen broadband (who Which? have been recommending for years). They offered me 18 mths at £28pm for 100mb (my bill had gone up to £53 with a 9% price rise looming on March 1st!)
      There are lots of comparison sites around now that cover broadband. It’s worth checking those out.
      BT OpenReach have now replaced a lot of their old phone lines with fibre now, so fibre to the premises (FTTP) is a possibility in many more areas than before, offering faster speeds (similar to cable).

• Flufff 2nd February 2022 at 4:46 pm

Yep, I’m on fibre at the mo. I found tht the co’s can hike up the price while you are in contract to them !

• Selsdon 3rd February 2022 at 6:04 pm

One of the reasons I was looking at Xen is that they give you a price for life. No increases. Obviously, they hope you will be tempted by faster speeds in the future at a higher price, but I can’t see why I’d ever need more than 100 mps.

• ellegoode 2nd February 2022 at 5:01 pm

I’m with Sky for my broadband, TV and landline but I don’t use the landline as in my contract I have to pay per call. They gave me a great deal then 6 weeks later increased the price which apparently is legal, increasing over 18 months and I now pay £112 per month. I feel conned but I do like having sky do I’m putting up with it. Getting in touch with them is so difficult bit I had an issue a few weeks ago and they did desk with it very quickly once I actually managed to get through to them

• Kenton 2nd February 2022 at 5:50 pm

BT Openreach own most of the infrastructure but there are plenty of wrappers out there who are just service providers. I’ve been with Sky for years but had a problem last autumn that took weeks to fix. Always get cable if possible. 🧑‍🏫

• Kenton 2nd February 2022 at 6:21 pm

Oh, and Sky customer service was abysmal.

• Forestbather 2nd February 2022 at 7:40 pm

I just went for the cheapest when my deal expired. Used money savings expert. New router came in plenty of time. Switchover quick and easy.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 3rd February 2022 at 7:55 am

Have used a couple of providers, talktalk a cheap version of bt was absolutely useless, poor customer service, only interested in selling you more. Got three different quotes for leaving before my contract finished. So told them that the call was being recorded for their training purposes and it would be on facebook and youtube. Got that issue solved!
      Virgin couldn’t sort out their internet over some time. After three attempts to fix it and trying to leave I was told I could. Apparently they have three attempts to sort it and if they can’t you can terminate the contract. Back with BT now. Better by a longshot.

• backofbeyond 3rd February 2022 at 8:18 am

All of this stuff – electricity, gas, phone, the whole lot, including broadband is a complete nightmare. It takes so much time and effort to sort through all the competing claims and promises and then it’s a stab in the dark whether your chosen supplier will actually deliver what they promise.

I went through it all with broadband back in November (when ‘Black Friday special deals’ were chucked into to complicate the mix further). We’d been with EE ever since broadband was available (about 15+ yrs ago). I think they used to be Orange and before that Freeserve. This year though they’re now part of BT and what was on offer from them locally was under specced and over priced even by my not very demanding standards. To keep this short we changed to PlusNet for no other reason than they were £15 / month cheaper for the same (promised) speeds. No fibre where we are so that was as good as I could get. So far they’ve been fine – no better, no worse and the £50 cash back they sent me a month later was an unexpected bonus (that I spent on motorcycle parts!)

The contract was for 18 months. A week after I signed half a dozen trucks appeared in my street and started digging up the pavement. They were laying fibre cable. About a month ago some BT offshoot arrived to connect it all up. So I can now get fibre broadband. However cancelling the contract and starting again seems more trouble than it’s worth so I’m just going to leave it. In the meantime my mobile supplier (3) has just told me that they’re cancelling my contract in a month (or changing me to their ‘standard rate’ (= double the price) anyway), so I’m now ploughing through a whole load of politician’s promises grade marketing to see who I can move to.

• Flufff 3rd February 2022 at 9:04 am

I feel your pain. Maybe someone will have a positive story about one of the smaller providers although I do realise that there is a lot of ‘badge manufacturing’/’piggy backing’ on the bt line etc.

• Team Rest Less 3rd February 2022 at 10:29 am

Hi Flufff, check out the Rest Less broadband comparison service – reviews included too:

https://broadband.restless.co.uk/

• Grace Williams 3rd February 2022 at 11:10 am

Hi Fluff, I’m a bargain hunter when it comes to services, I will dedicate a day to hone in on the best deals (as it really does save time/money in the long run). I tend to use the comparison websites, find the best deals, then go to the actual site of the provider and haggle with them. I’m amazed how much some people pay. I’ve also worked a system where I pick and choose the services I want, rather than being conned into package deals with just one company (that used to be a cheap way to do it, but not any more)

I’ve been with Plusnet for about 3 years (but review them every time my contract is up, so hold no loyalty to them) They seem to have excellent customer services, I cannot even remember the last time they had an outage (I’m in Islington N London). I get unlimited fibre for £22.99 a month, I then pay a subscription to Now Tv (I got a deal for 3.99, dropped Netflix for a few months, as they didnt really have much new stuff, when my deal runs out with Now, I’ll cancel and pick up netflix again) and Prime (7.99), my mobile is with O2 for £10 a month (unlimited calls/texts/ and 10g data)… So I think it’s definitely worth the time/effort to shop around.

Btw, all my neighbours in our street are on a whatsapp group, they are constantly moaning about virgin – who I was with many years ago, due to outages/poor customer service/slow connections etc – I agree- and how expensive they are – during lockup my neighbour upstairs was working from home, 9-5 on zoom, he is with virgin, he was paying £53 a month and his service dropped for a whole 2 weeks – So I just let him use mine, and to be honest, I didnt even notice a difference in the streaming, having another user on the line. I also messed around with sky for a few years, again, over priced, really really poor customer service/outage etc… So that’s been my experience. Good luck.

• Flufff 3rd February 2022 at 11:23 am

You sound as though you are right on top of your situ. I to think about what I want from my provider before taking up with them. I do not use my mobile much & got a great deal from Lebara.

• Flufff 3rd February 2022 at 1:35 pm

PLUSNET SEEM TO HAVE A GREAT DEAL FOR MY MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS..

• Daisychain 3rd February 2022 at 7:11 pm

I like Plusnet. Great customer service but their SIM didn’t work too well so I go to Carphone Warehouse when I need to for a SIM only deal. I don’t know if Plusnet still do it but if you have a SIM after 6 months they used to do very good phone deals for a small amount. It’s not publicised.

• Robert K 3rd February 2022 at 3:16 pm

I am with Zen. As Selsdon Lion said they are regularly the Which ‘Best Buy’. Not the cheapest, but the customer service is excellent – really important when something goes wrong.

• Flufff 3rd February 2022 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Rob. Just found out that I am nowrestricted to Fibre only! This leaves limited options. Currently waiting in a q for Shell to see if they can give me a better deal before I go.

• Catwoman 3rd February 2022 at 6:04 pm

I’m with Now TV but only landline never used and BB £17.99 a month it’s not fibre but it does what I need

• Daisychain 3rd February 2022 at 7:07 pm

I’m with Plusnet. When it came to renewal, I checked other providers and as we’d been with Vodafone before, I thought their prices were pretty good at £21.95 per month. I called Plusnet and after a short discussion they offered me £22.00 per month so I’m still with them. I’ve used TalkTalk once but never again. They are useless. BT were initially OK but prices went up too far.

Plusnet is great for customer service and our broadband is fine. We still have a landline but only use for coming calls. Outgoing calls I do on my mobile with a SIM only plan and pay £8.00 per month for free texts and calls. I rarely go surfing so the smallish allowance is no problem although I do listen to the radio.

Any other stuff can be bought separately and I’ve no reason to change until the contract comes up again.

• backofbeyond 3rd February 2022 at 7:45 pm

That’s pretty much exactly my set up. Plusnet at £22/month (EE wanted £36) and sim only with 3 at £10/ month but that does include 10Gb data.

The data was great as our small flat in France doesn’t have a phone line so I could access stuff there on 4G. That was pre the new Brexit roaming charges. From May it’s £2/day before I start. That’s going to overwhelm my £10/month pretty quickly so I need to see if any of them are not introducing roaming charges. Fortunately I’m out of contract with 3 at the moment so I can change easily.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 3rd February 2022 at 8:23 pm

Im like cheers I ditched the conventional route and went for a 4G router from EE which I’ve had for 2 years and the connection and download speeds I get in a town is far better than any landline broadband I’ve ever had , I don’t think where I am fibre is an option as I’m in a flat above my landlady’s business down an alleyway in a former office block.

I’ve just renegotiated my plan with unlimited data for £32 a month £17 cheaper than I was paying for my router plus an add on of 200GB of data so I’ve saved £17 a month and now got unlimited data

• Neil Hrd 4th February 2022 at 10:27 am

Don’t go with O2. It is almost impossible to figure out what you have actually paid for and what is excluded from any of their many tariffs. The staff in my local shop and at their call centre assume that everybody must be a techie whiz kid and understand all the jargon. In fact they don’t even understand it themselves and are just repeating what they memorised in sales training.

• Pennypitstop 4th February 2022 at 5:11 pm

Talk talk £26 a month for faster fibre broadband and home phone ( which we don’t use or need), but we are happy with their broadband, have been with them for about 6 years now and no problems.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 22nd February 2022 at 7:53 am

I know I maybe adding to a dead feed but here’s an update for you. I have finally moved at the beginning of this month and organised BT to install their fibre broadband. They wanted to get in before we moved to install the cable, which we couldn’t allow because it wasn’t our property. That was finally done on the 7th. We now are hoping that today after five failed dates that their system glitch that stops them from changing booking dates is sorted and they actually come and fit a modem(?) inside the house. Will say that everyone I have spoken to has been good but just let down by bt time and time again.
      If it was my choice I would have cancelled and not have bothered but my wife is at home all day. Won’t be recommending them again.

• Cheers on toast 22nd February 2022 at 5:03 pm

That’s very similar to an experience I had with them. I eventually gave up and cancelled the installation.
        The real hassle started 3 months later when they started charging me for BT Sports because I had come to the end of my free trial even though I had never had it.
        It took months to sort out, so much stress. This is why I would never use BT for anything ever again.

• Flufff 22nd February 2022 at 12:20 pm

A v unfortunate experience, they might say, Barney.

Add