Home Forums Book Club Best and worst Stephen King books?

Kenton Posted 3 months ago
Best and worst Stephen King books?

I’ve read all of Stephen King’s books and my favourite is the Shinning and least favourite is Lisey’s Story. What do you think?

1 like & 29 replies
    • Dreamyboy 3rd September 2021 at 2:04 pm

Read the first thirty odd novels as well as the short story ones as well but after seeing some of the short stories were written when he was at high school I decided they were literally printing his shopping lists so stopped reading as well as finding them repetitive – but at the time the best was ‘The Shining’ and the worst ‘Gerald’s Game’.

• Wigglesworth68 4th September 2021 at 12:18 am

Hard to choose an absolute favourite, more like a top 5. Least favourite is The girl who loved Tom Gordon. I do agree that Gerald’s Game is not one of the better ones either. I quite liked 11/22/63 – a very different take on events most people know about

• Mimanda 4th September 2021 at 9:37 am

I loved Thinner, Christine is a big fave and The Shining of course, Carrie, Pet Semetary and Misery. Didn’t like The Langoliers.

• AdLsA 4th September 2021 at 12:48 pm

Although I loved the film version of it, in book form The Stand was difficult to get into.

I found Under The Dome fairly addictive though. Just had to find out what happened to the main antagonist, and his side-kicks. A very good ‘what if’ tale.

• Wigglesworth68 4th September 2021 at 2:13 pm

Haven’t read Under the Dome so shall have to give that a whirl.

• Malarkey 5th September 2021 at 9:20 am

Lots of favourites but I’m with you on Lisey’s Story, (I have a sneaking suspicion that Tabitha King, (or one of the kids) wrote it.

• ShirleyB 6th September 2021 at 1:10 am

All time favourite is Misery but more recently Mr Mercedes and love the characters Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney

• Kenton 7th September 2021 at 10:32 am

Just finished The Dark Tower vii amazing book after trawling through the whole series. The ending though has divided opinions?

• JanMc 7th September 2021 at 11:15 am

Loved the dome. Struggling to think of worst. Currently listening to new one on audio but I think I do better with books as I tend to zone out and have to go back!

• melayahm 9th September 2021 at 8:34 pm

The Dead Zone I have read a few times and it makes me cry every time. Pet Semetary was the only one that made me feel uneasy once I’d finished it. Misery had me biting my nails and yelling ‘get out of there!’ at the pages. Geralds Game, yeah, meh, Under the Dome, way too long for the story that was there. Does anyone else feel that since his accident, apart from working out his demons (Duma Key etc), his books have become milder, like he doesn’t want to hurt his characters so much as he used to?

• Kenton 9th September 2021 at 9:00 pm

Bag of bones has to be in the mix surety?

• Kenton 9th September 2021 at 9:04 pm

My wife states Salem’s Lot scared her most.

• Brad_66 10th September 2021 at 2:21 am

Salem’s Lot is absolutely my favourite. What a topical idea. Treat vampirism as a pandemic. Utterly brilliant. I read the Stand about once a decade, fabulous book. Cujo and Christine were early favourites. Different Seasons which spawned the films Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me is a classic four novellas. Pet Cemetery was truly disturbing. Didn’t like Tommyknockers or The girl who loved Tom Gordon. A brilliant short book under his Richard Bachman pseudonym is Thinner.. Never explored the Dark Tower series…

• Skinny_G 10th September 2021 at 6:18 am

The Shining is fantastic and I try to watch the Stanley Kubrick film once every year. My favourite book has to be either Carrie or Needfull things.

• aspie auntie 10th September 2021 at 6:35 pm

I read Carrie a few times. There was a Family Guy episode on this week that seemed inspired by the film of Christine – Joe didn’t want Peter to ride in a vintage car that he was very proud of, so naturally Peter steals the car and him and Quagmire ride around in it. Somehow the radio seems to have 50s and 60s songs on and for rights reasons they couldn’t use Beatles songs, so there’s a generic track repeating ‘Beatles song, Beatles song’.

• aspie auntie 10th September 2021 at 6:38 pm

Family Guy also spoofed Stand By Me – I remember my mum laughing when the child versions of Peter, Quagmire and Joe were walking along the railway track, singing ‘Have Gun Will Travel is the mark of a man!’

• Kenton 10th September 2021 at 9:23 pm

The Outsider is an amazing book and brilliant TV series.

• Kenton 10th September 2021 at 9:25 pm

The Family Guy episode I agree was great.

• Kenton 10th September 2021 at 9:31 pm

Humour is almost always anger with its make-up on. Quote, Bag of Bones.

• loislane 11th September 2021 at 7:08 pm

Don’t like him at all

• Reenie 12th September 2021 at 8:34 am

I haven’t read a lot of Stephen King, though I did read the Green Mile chaplets. These were great.

• Buffy 12th September 2021 at 10:05 am

Mr Mercedes books and It are brilliant. Couldn’t get into the stand. The TV series of mr Mercedes is really good

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 14th September 2021 at 11:33 am

Was potty on Stephen King in my youth…. and was up to date with everything up to about Nightmares and Dreamscapes then sort of stopped! I have no idea why. Picking up the mantle again slowly….started with Carrie and I’m now ready to go back into the Dark Tower.

I loved IT, was less bothered with Firestarter.

• Joannaissleeping 14th September 2021 at 11:36 am

I loved “Under the Dome” and “Pet Cemetery”. I haven’t read “ The Shining “ but the film is one of my all time favourites.

• Mandie 14th September 2021 at 2:46 pm

Best for me was The Talisman, but maybe that doesn’t qualify because it’s a collaboration… second would be IT. Worst? Anything written with/by his wife… Gerald’s Game was the pits, and I still haven’t managed more than a couple of hundred pages of Lisseys Story…

• henreylouice69 4th November 2021 at 6:57 pm

The Dead Zone I have read a few times and it makes me cry every time.

Pet Semetary was the only one that made me feel uneasy once I’d finished it.

Misery had me biting my nails and yelling ‘get out of there!’ at the pages.

Geralds Game, yeah, meh, Under the Dome, way too long for the story that was there. Does anyone else feel that since his accident, apart from working out his demons (Duma Key etc), his books have become milder, like he doesn’t want to hurt his characters so much as he used to?

• lunamaple19 4th November 2021 at 8:45 pm

Area West Engineers, Inc. is a full-service civil engineering and land surveying firm that has been in business since 1974. Area West Engineers, Inc. has services ranging from, but not limited to: preparing and processing easement acquisitions, improvement plans, encroachment permits, pipeline design, hydrology studies, roadway design, right-of-way surveys, topographic surveys and control surveys. Located in Citrus Heights, CA.
      https://areawesteng.com/

Add