Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Beekeeping. Anyone else a bee servant?

Deleted User Posted 1 year ago
Beekeeping. Anyone else a bee servant?
15 likes & 17 replies
    • Debi 15th January 2021 at 8:41 am

Morning Pete. I love bees and am very interested in getting a hive and bees for the garden. Im not fussed about the honey – just somewhere safe for them. Any hints n tips woukd be most welcome.

• Honeybee 123 15th January 2021 at 9:17 am

Would like to learn how to keep bees,was thinking of doing a course

• Deleted User 15th January 2021 at 11:23 am

Hi , Yes I used to keep Bees when I lived in South Wales many years ago.

• Donia 15th January 2021 at 2:24 pm

No, but I would love to do that, I so love bees!

• Yellow Socks 15th January 2021 at 5:01 pm

I have offten thought about bee keeping . The thing that puts me off is the pesticides used by others outside of your control.

• Deleted User 15th January 2021 at 5:02 pm

Ok so for those who are interested I’ve taught bees for many years now and my first advice is this: Before spending a £ find someone (poss via a local club) to visit and see what being next to a full colony is like. There are three reactions. Shrug, Wow… and stuff this followed by the sound of retreating person. It costs roughly £700 to start up BUT unlike say golf its not a bottomless pit as honey sells and there is a good chance of making your investment back.

• Cazza 17th January 2021 at 7:59 pm

We started beekeeping three years ago and have 3 hives. Still have not managed to harvest any honey. Starting to lose a bit of heart

• Deleted User 18th January 2021 at 8:41 am

That seems a bit odd. Are you actively managing them?

• Cazza 19th January 2021 at 6:23 pm

Yes doing all the checks. Swarmed a couple of times but caught them. Main chamber full of honey but not using the supers.

• Thecraftygirl 19th January 2021 at 7:05 pm

Hi Pete not personally but my sister keeps six hives, my. B. in. law is a master beekeeper and they sell their honey!

• Deleted User 20th January 2021 at 9:00 am

Cazza what size of brood box are they in please?

• TigerShaun 22nd March 2021 at 6:02 pm

Hello Pete, this will be my third year keeping bees. I’ve a hive on a nearby farm, and a nuc in my garden that I’ll transfer to a full hive next month. Love it as a hobby. I’m not a big fan of honey so I give most of what I harvest to family and friends.

• CherryPlum 22nd April 2021 at 9:42 pm

Hi Pete, my garden is already full of bees. I love seeing and hearing them therefore ensure all the plants are attractive to them. There is nothing more lovely than sitting in the garden with bees buzzing around and just enjoying them falling off the flowers almost drunk

• jolmno 29th April 2021 at 2:44 pm

Great stuff – dogs and bees. Do you sell your honey?

Jayne

• Deleted User 29th April 2021 at 3:16 pm

I do yes. 12oz is £9-50.

Add