Home Forums Events Bad next door people.

Brianx Posted 4 months ago
Bad next door people.

We have lived in Headcorn for 5 years Headcorn is such a nice place and so friendly.
But unfortunately we bought a nice bungalow and spent £ many thousands on doing alterations and the garden.but from the first day they have three cars ,and running two business from home,and we have blocks stone front which that they drive across,I have seen the people who lived here before us and they said they had the same problem ,and put a fence up to stop it.
We have done the same,as they removed it before we moved in
But it did not stop ,we are having the same problem,they have killed our garden plants every year ,and send letters to all authorities to make live hell.
And sendings bad information to everyone trying to make problems for us,
I am feeling sick, all we wanted to live a happy retirement, any ideas how to stop this ???

1 like & 16 replies
    • Rowan 22nd September 2021 at 10:07 pm

So sorry to read this post, many years ago I had a problem with a neighbour re boundary and them building wall on my property so different. I have a friend who has a problem with a difficult neighbour which is possibly more similar to yours…she has taken the view of videoing, police involved etc etc…only problem with this approach is I feel that by giving a reaction you then get a further reaction and then the situation can escalate. Sometimes in life by ignoring or trying to ignore you get an easier life …I feel one of those situations to tread carefully as if they think reported etc they may make worse….however there would be no reason why you couldn’t consult a solicitor or I understand some councils have people who such difficulties can be addressed with…sending lots of best wishes

• Rowan 22nd September 2021 at 10:09 pm

One additional query was there a neighbour dispute before you bought…isn’t there a question requiring such matters to be disclosed on the sale of a property…just a thought

• Brianx 23rd September 2021 at 8:47 am

The house was empty for two years, I now think that’s why we weren’t told, But we have had a meeting with old owners ,that they had to move because the next door.ended have a fight. With them, as they had made them I’ll. Brian

• Rowan 23rd September 2021 at 8:58 am

May be question could be asked of a solicitor if there was an undisclosed dispute but guess problem is proving and the cost of legal proceedings as one potential option …or don’t know what others think but you either try and dampen it and not respond so don’t get out dispute and hopefully they quieten down and everyone can get on….( it’s not one of those is it where they want to buy your home cheap) or second option move but responding etc like for like personally I think escalates …but I’m no expert be interesting what advice/ suggestions others give

• Brianx 23rd September 2021 at 9:08 am

I wish I did not move here, but Headcorn is such a nice place Brian

• Lizzi-Beth 23rd September 2021 at 11:07 am

I can’t begin to imagine what you are going through. I know it’s not easy but I think ‘a no reaction’ approach would be best as they are already aware that you’re not happy about the situation. Try the ‘nicely nicely’ approach by being friendly when you see them, ‘Good morning’ etc so they feel guilty about how they have reacted. If they are trying to get to you the best thing is not to let them think that they are. Also try looking up activities in your area you could take part in eg hikes/walks, art classes, book club at local library etc to help get you out of the house to meet other people which in turn will improve how you feel and help lift your spirits. Best of luck, Brian.

• Chunky Buster 23rd September 2021 at 12:12 pm

Do not engage with these people, you will only be the loser! If you take legal or police action, you must declare it when you sell. Do what l have done TWICE, put the house on the market, insist no For Sale boards!

• MORENOCH1 23rd September 2021 at 12:50 pm

Try to remain peaceful with them. “Happy is the peacemaker” (Matthew 5:9) Your calmness may help in defusing the problem a bit. This sometimes is easy to say than done, but at the end you avoid stress that might cause other health problems.

• Brianx 23rd September 2021 at 12:59 pm

They will not aloud un less I do all that’ they want.I would have to move out and give full control of our property for the use Brian

• Potatoes 23rd September 2021 at 5:07 pm

It is such a bad problem for you. How can they cross your front garden if you have a fence. Are they knocking it down with their car?

• Brianx 23rd September 2021 at 5:29 pm

No that’s before I put the fence up.but now that making suffer now Brian

• goldfish63 25th September 2021 at 1:23 pm

Oh my this sounds familiar, I bought a house a while ago and all seemed well until there was a boundary dispute, I put up a ridged boundary between the drives and the neighbour just run over it, then he parked an old caravan on his drive, his sons used to park and block the drive constantly and be intimidating, grandchildren running in our garden, then we had an attempted break in on the house, later our shed was broken into too and think it was all this neighbour, he got very annoyed when we put up a 6ft fence in the back garden and loosened the post fittings, I started to grow conifers next to the fence and he cut the tops, transpired one of his sons lived in the house previous and it was repossessed, they had plans to knock the two properties into one but his son’s wife left him and scuppered their plans, my wife was even convinced they were doing all sorts, I even discovered he had removed all the lead seal from between the properties causing damp, we tried everything but in the end admitted defeat and sold up and ironically the neighbour died a few months later! I would never buy again or move without doing extensive research, I hope you resolve your issues but consider moving!

• Brianx 25th September 2021 at 1:46 pm

Thank you,But. What can I do to get a happy life.I can’t move again it would kill me plus we love Headcorn Brian

• goldfish63 25th September 2021 at 1:50 pm

Well if you are hell bent on staying and not giving up then try talking to the neighbour, you can involve CAB to act as a mediator and help with discussions if you are reluctant to deal direct with the neighbour, failing that it is seeking legal advice 🙂

• Brianx 25th September 2021 at 3:32 pm

Thank you Brian

Add