Home Forums Travel Backpacking

Lynnee Posted 5 months ago
Backpacking

Hi there

Gap years didn’t exist when I was younger and I feel as though I really missed out. I spent 21 years in the Royal Navy and loved travel and adventure and really miss it now. My husband isn’t interested in travelling anywhere he doesn’t know, so I would have to go alone. Not sure I could cope in to noisy hostels full of teenagers but I am sure there are lots of alternatives. Has anyone done any backpacking or had some form of adventure off the beaten track.

2 likes & 14 replies
    • Tim17 29th December 2021 at 8:57 pm

Hi there I’m same age as you I love travelling n do solo I wud recommend using booking .com n having some comfort never tried hostels I’m sure they good but think u can get a cheap hotel too nice n comfortable

• Janet59 30th December 2021 at 12:58 pm

Hi Lynnee
      I go traveling alone now, I find a cheap hotel or apartment wherever I go, there’s always some around you can make yourself at home in, then put your plans into action, you’ll always come across friendly people on your trips, hope that helps, stay safe

• vaughanpauline 30th December 2021 at 5:54 pm

Hi Lynee

I have used a site called Sister Stay as a sort of half way stage between camping and a b&b.

Its open to all females over 50 and you pre book your accommodation which is with other women staying in their home.

The rooms i have had were comfortable and The hosts have been friendly and helpful.

• Natzazillion 30th December 2021 at 10:41 pm

I just checked out sisterstay.com .
      What an amazing community based website. Thanks Pauline for the information..something I will definitely consider next year .

• Bakingbree 31st December 2021 at 10:56 am

I follow Sister Stay on Instagram and am considering joining them as it’s such a wonderful community. I’ve started going away on short solo trips. I usually stay in Airbnbs snd look for somewhere where I can prepare meals. I don’t mind eating out alone during the day but don’t feel comfortable doing so at night.

• anneenicholls 31st December 2021 at 11:53 am

I have been travelling (mostly alone) since I was 21. Some trips have been with adventures tour operators like Exodus, Intrepid. Imaginative Traveller, Undiscovered Destination or Explore and some I organised myself. I have been to 47 countries. Except for the last 3 years I have always done at least one solo trip a year and one with my husband. I am 74 now hope to resume travelling when it becomes easier. Would recommend any of the main adventure tour operators as many travellers are singles. Good luck.

• Lynnee 31st December 2021 at 12:24 pm

Thanks Anne, I will have a look. Not too keen on group trips though as I like to do my own thing, so it might not work with the travel companies.

• vaughanpauline 29th March 2022 at 10:32 pm

Silver Friends /Ladies might be for you. 6 of us went to Fureaventura a few weeks ago.

We all booked our own accommodation using the same travel agent. We flew from two different airports and each soent time alone when we wanted /needed to.

We have another trip abroad booked in October and a few trips in this country (South Wales, London and a Soul and Motown weekend in Nottinghamshire)

Its good to have people around but not be tied to them.

If anyone wants to join us please message me for a link

• MartinH59 7th March 2022 at 7:37 am

I guess the big question is what level of adventure suits you? I’ve never done a package holiday and like it that way. I’ve done things some would consider extreme such as sailing half way around the world, riding a motorcycle around Australia, low cost family travel in India with 2 grumpy teenagers and, at 62, rowing across the Atlantic. I am a big believer in saying yes to opportunities that come along. It doesn’t always work out as expected, but, hey, they are all life experiences! I have had a few disappointments but plenty of life enhancing memories too.

• Freeflyer 29th March 2022 at 2:05 pm

I would thoroughly recommend walking the Camino de Santiago – most people start in St John Pied de Port in France and walk all the way to Santiago in the North-West of Spain. Yes, most of the accommodation is in dormitories with others (mixed), but you can always find a private room if you prefer. Not sure about meeting any rowdy teenagers as most of the backpackers will be too exhausted from walking to do anything but sleep. You can walk alone or with friends. Indeed, you will make many friends along the way who you might link up with, or simply meet up with on and off. I cycled the route back in 2013 with my husband. We both wished we had been walking because cycling took just three weeks (lots of stop-offs), while walking can take anything up to six or seven weeks. If interested, I would recommend watching “The Way” with Martin Sheen. That’s where we got the idea and what an amazing experience we had. Nothing before or since has rivalled this amazing holiday.

• Lynnee 29th March 2022 at 10:39 pm

I saw that film a few months ago and it did inspire me. We visited there about 18 years ago in our campervan during a windsurfing tour of Portugal and Spain. I think walking it would be very enlightening but don’t have 6 weeks at the moment. I need to retire!.

• Freeflyer 30th March 2022 at 8:15 am

We met quite a few people who were walking the Camino over a few years. They took their annual holidays and met up with friends then walked one leg of the route. The following year they then went on to complete the next leg. It worked well but then they were French so able to get to Spain very quickly. You can also fly to Pamplona and start from there. We’ve done so many things over the years since we married, but nothing can eclipse our Camino (which was a 65th birthday present for me) and my husband even said that I’ve changed since we completed it – for the better, I hope, lol.

Add