Home Forums General Australia v UK

Anonymous User (no longer active) Posted 2 months ago
Australia v UK

If you had the choice to live in Australia would you go?

39 replies
    • Chojo 5th October 2021 at 5:51 am

No. Far too hot and too many things that can kill you!

• NeilB 5th October 2021 at 8:49 am

Not everywhere, Melbourne looks much like here at the moment. Went to Uluru (Ayers rock) once and it was actually cold!

• Brighton Belle 5th October 2021 at 6:42 am

No doesn’t interest me at all-if you said Cyprus and Greek Islands that’s my type place have Cypriot friends who own restaurant-bar in Paphos that’s my go to place 😘

• NeilB 5th October 2021 at 9:18 am

Agree about Greece. I lived in Athens in the mid 80’s. My favourite island are the Cyclades but I’ll bet it’s all changed since then. It had started to when they opened an airport on Paros which cut out the 6 hour ferry from Piraeus. That hypnotic ferry trip across the Aegean really slowed you down to island life.

• Sar717 5th October 2021 at 8:39 am

I did have the choice 8yrs ago but decided not to go,after visiting Australia twice first time a month and second time for 6mths there were things I missed about here in the uk eg…countryside’s,Yorkshire puddings 😂hearing the birds sing and when you work somewhere in Oz at 40degree heat and the air con is not working it’s unbearable,I no Australia isn’t going anywhere so I no I can visit anytime

• Paul of Southampton 5th October 2021 at 8:49 am

No. Too dangerous

• Dreamyboy 5th October 2021 at 8:54 am

No – had a couple of friends who lived there for a few years, said same problems as any towns in Britain – crime, drugs, unemployment – basically its not all lounging on the beach cuddling koalas, heard better reports about New Zealand.

• Daisychain 5th October 2021 at 9:18 am

Visited my daughter several times but she is now back in the Uk. Personally, Australia is too much like the USA. Other daughter lives in New Zealand and I’m planning to visit next year again, Covid allowing. I wouldn’t want to be there permanently either but it’s a beautiful country and the Auckland climate is certainly better in the summer but winter can be very cold and wet.

I’m a home bird and love the countryside here and our multi-cultural society. It’s a shame that we are in this economic storm with a government that has few plans and sits on it’s hands.

• peterposh 5th October 2021 at 9:26 am

When I visited my relatives a few years ago, we went to see the dunes by Newcastle NSW, beautiful white beaches as far as the eye can see. I said the surf looks amazing, my relly said don’t go in as there are pointer sharks and bluebottle jellyfish. There are sand lice so don’t lay down, watch out in the dunes as there are poisonous snakes and spiders, don’t go in the sun as it’s really fierce and of course the ever present flies.

• loislane 5th October 2021 at 12:25 pm

Not an awful lot going for it then.
        I think the only play I would love to visit there is Sidney opera House.

• peterposh 5th October 2021 at 12:43 pm

I was surprised to see it was covered in tiles. You’ll need access to a car if you’re planning to sightsee or you’ll be pretty much confined to the city centres

• siandeve15 6th October 2021 at 8:17 am

When I was 20 years I worked on cruise ships as a chef.
          I did the long voyage from Southampton to Sydney.
          The ship docked in Sydney Harbour right opposite the famous Sydney opera House.
          I walked round & went in
          Enquired what is showing at the moment
          Receptionist said Marriage of Figaro.
          Not my thing but I went to see it just for the experience of it.
          I was seriously unimpressed
          with the interior as it’s all pine & very boring as was the play.
          But the aquatics were amazing as was the structural of the iconic building.
          Sydney is a brilliant city which I loved at the time.
          You should go if you can.
          We are planning a month in Bali & a month in OZ by 2023.
          Any plans to travel?
          Regards Simon

• peterposh 5th October 2021 at 9:27 am

Also Australia is really expensive for British pound holders. Lots of Australians go on holiday to Bali because it’s cheaper and safer.

• Suzydee 5th October 2021 at 10:39 am

I would love to visit oz and nz definitely on my bucket list. Then I will tell you if I want to live there

• Nelle96 5th October 2021 at 11:53 am

No, I have been twice to visit friends there, for a month each time. Firstly it’s too similar to the UK in many respects – if I was going to emigrate I’d want somewhere different culturally. The weather is very unpredictable – we were in Queensland which was very humid, also Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Hot one day, cold the next, then ‘fly days’ where you can’t go outside because of the infestations. I believe there’s not a lot of employment opportunities (prepared to be proved wrong), many of the young people I know who were born over there have come to the UK to get work. I think if you are young, love the outside life and happy to work in a bar to fund your interests it would be great for a while but think it would wear thin quite quickly. My friend who emigrated 25 years ago still doesn’t feel settled there.

• loislane 5th October 2021 at 12:23 pm

No thanks, spiders, snakes, Australian slang, and way too hot for me.

• paxton1974 5th October 2021 at 12:54 pm

Would have until these people got in power seems they are even more controlling than the clowns here .

• Kapricorn 5th October 2021 at 2:15 pm

Spiders 🕷 are a lot smaller here in Britain.
      Australia never been, but definitely huge spiders 🕷🕸.
      No I wouldn’t want to be a Aussie spider lunch😂

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 5th October 2021 at 10:04 pm

Not too many votes for Australia yet. I am a dual citizen so it is providing a retirement dilemma. Ideally I would have summer in the UK (May through to mid Sept) and the fly south with the swallows and house martins. I don’t do cold, wet and murky any more

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 5th October 2021 at 10:27 pm

Yes that is always a consideration and I am still trying to work out how to do it without putting pressure on family members in either country. New Zealand is fantastic as well – i have visited a few times and done a couple of road trips around both islands. My favourite area is Dunedin and surrounds including the Otaga peninsula and the Caitlins.

• Seqirus Al 6th October 2021 at 8:13 am

No. Its full of Australians 😆

• Vixster 6th October 2021 at 7:28 pm

No it’s too far from anywhere else plus too hot and it seems quite macho.

• Alb 6th October 2021 at 8:25 pm

Yes I would go. Noosa for me. Had a fantastic holiday in oz as there is so much to see and do but the best days were in Noosa. Despite what people are saying on this post it is not all hot all the time unless you are up north. As for the nasty animals, swimming things and spiders and bugs – if you don’t bother them they will not bother you- humans kill more of them than what they do to us. Also best reason for going is they do not sell Fosters – they export it all to us daft poms

• Jacksharp6 6th October 2021 at 9:44 pm

Visited kearns first not impressed. Then the Great Barrier Reef beautiful but sadly the coral was sadly slowly eroding. Then on to Brisbane which was nice. Then flew to Perth and stayed with relatives but never seen the neighbours because had a big six foot fence right round the bungalow. It was strange to me because they got in the car in garage opened the door and drove out same coming in drive into garage automatic close door at home. Never got to say hello to neighbours. Every where we went there was a barbie. We could all go and live right in the middle of Australia and make it are Britain. Here is and (was)a much better place to live

• Pennypitstop 11th October 2021 at 11:56 am

I had relatives in Australia, after 25 years they came back home to UK. It is too hot to enjoy in the daytime, but still gets cold at night in the winter,it doesn’t have much rain, it gets dark early every night, its too far to go anywhere different, it is expensive compared to UK especially food and housing, but most of all it is too far away. If you are young and have no family ties in the UK then try it, but if you have family in UK that you love, unless you are rich you will hardly ever see them. Even if you can afford the flights you can’t just pop over its a long long flight and if you are working age you only get 4/5 weeks holiday a year and not many workplaces would let you have a month off every year, also would you want to work for a year without time off to save it for your annual trip to Aus and never go anywhere else.
      If there is an illness or a death you may have to accept that you can not support your family or even go to the funeral.
      You will miss the british countryside and wildlife. A squawking kookaboora will wake you up instead of a melodic blackbird. You will be very wary of the insects and snakes. Mosquitos feed on you, Jelly fish sting you, sand flies bite you, the insects and wildlife is very alien to us. A couple of very large monitor lizards came waddling up to our picnic table…i would rather have a squirrel or a few sparrows. Swimming in the sea is scary with rip tides and unknown creatures.
      If you live there you still have to go to work just like you do here, you have to have a big wedge of money in your bank as you cannot access benefits for quite a long time.
      Try it for a year but don’t cut your ties here, keep your home in UK ( rent it out ) as once you have fully committed it is not easy to start over again in the UK if you decide to come back.
      The culture is different…it is not like neighbours or home and away.

Add