Home Forums Gardening Attracting wildlife

Pollykettle Posted 11 months ago
Attracting wildlife

I live in a large village and have a small garden. I have planted up flowers to try to attract birds and insects but I would like to do more. Any suggestions from anyone please? I have a lawn which I encourage my husband not to cut too often!!

3 likes & 17 replies
    • Artemis 7th March 2021 at 7:24 pm

If you are comfortable with facebook there is a group there called “Emma’s wildlife friendly gardening.” https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610340745870423/?multi_permalinks=3060488347522315

• Franfoy 7th March 2021 at 8:55 pm

What about a clover patch instead of grass and you dont have to cut

• Muttley 8th March 2021 at 9:58 am

Water is the key. Even a sunken bowl in the ground with a few plants around it will attract more birds and insects and if you’re lucky you might get some visiting amphibians too.

• Lesleykaren 11th March 2021 at 7:11 pm

Some feeding trays for the birds, and hang some feeding tubes from a fence or tree if you can. Water bowls as well.

• Ken 11th March 2021 at 7:55 pm

Small works – last year I devoted a terrace to uncut grass and for the first time in several years heard and seen crickets on a hot evening. This year I’m turning over more garden to longer grass but maintaining paths through it. I’ve also set juniper seeds and they’ve almost finished their cold spell and I’m hoping to have seedlings soon to start a small juniper forested area.

• Guy 11th March 2021 at 9:04 pm

Try and make a hole in your fence on both sides so you have a wildlife roadway, and worms in the lawn will help the birds and hedgehogs.

• Deleted User 11th March 2021 at 9:35 pm

I put a small pond in with a solar fountain. Now when the birds have eaten at their table they head to the pond for a drink.

• Cowanr 12th March 2021 at 12:02 am

Try having some ivy, it is a great all rounder for wildlife

• buntybaylis 12th March 2021 at 11:30 am

Insect hotels are good. I have one for hoverflies which like to devour the aphids on my roses. If you have a shed, butterflies can over winter in those. Bury a teapot in the ground with the spout sticking out, this makes a great home for bees. Dont cut back your garden until the frosts have finished to protect overwintering habitat for insects. Anything which attracts birds into your garden is a good idea albeit feeding stations, water bowls, nest boxes etc. They will help you to manage the bug infestations thereby reducing the need for chemical sprays.

• Fluff 30th March 2021 at 7:10 pm

Just leave it to nature. 🙂

• Guy 11th April 2021 at 2:31 pm

Red admirals love stinging nettles, cabbage whites go for nasturtiums if you have cabbages then plant the nasturtiums close by the butterfly prefers the flower to the cabbage.

• Pollykettle 12th April 2021 at 4:39 pm

Thank you everyone for some great ideas! They are all really useful and I am sure I can implement many of them.

• Renoir64 13th April 2021 at 9:29 am

A small log pile left alone will be a great haven for invertebrates. This then encourages frogs and toads.

• Mitzi 24th April 2021 at 8:33 am

Lavender, bees love it.

Add