Home Forums Gardening Attracting wildlife

• Attracting wildlife

Hi everyone, I am in Rugeley and have been planting plants that smell nice (for me) or are attractive to pollinators. One side of my garden is shaded and I have problems getting plants that are pollinator attractors – any suggestions?

Posted by CherryPlum
    • Reply by Mags

Astrantia, dicentris, hydrangea petiolaris (if by a wall)…..??

• Reply by CherryPlum

Thanks for these I will research them

• Reply by Wiggs1958

Astilbe, clematis

• Reply by CherryPlum

I have clematis in other parts of the garden but will look into the Astilbe, thank you

• Reply by SelsdonLion

Foxglove maybe

• Reply by CherryPlum

I have some young foxgloves growing in the kitchen – will be putting them out soon. Thank you

• Reply by CherryPlum

Does anyone else have a Wood Spurge plant in their garden – I did not plant this yet it has appeared in the garden. My conclusion is that it might have come in with the wildlife box of seeds I sprinkled across the garden a while back to encourage insects?

Attachments:
      • Reply by Anonymous User

Euphorbia are really fast expanding plants. It could have been brought by birds or wind. I love the lime green colour they add to the garden in early spring.

• Reply by CherryPlum

These are invasive as they have many new shoots popping up alongside the main plant. Will be removing those and cutting back the main plant once the rain/wind has stopped.

• Reply by Mysticmo

Hi there. If you like your wildlife add some lavender ! The bee’s love them , you could always put a couple of pot’s of them to attract the bee’s. try the pot’s in the shade then if they don’t like it there just move them over to another side

• Reply by CherryPlum

Thanks for that, I already have lavender in the garden.

• Reply by Nettygirl

I’ve just planted 4 more lavender 🌝

• Reply by Dorothea

“Dead nettles” – a form of nettle which doesn’t sting, hence the dead bit. The pink ones are nice. They spread but are easily controlled. Also, celandines.

• Reply by CherryPlum

I have normal nettles in one section of my garden but they are the stinging onces. I don’t bother them unless they begin to spread otherwise we are accepting of each other 🙂

• Reply by BridgeBourne

Maybe a bit late for this year but many of the plants that are stocked by garden centres in spring are useless for pollinators. I am planting cowslips, dog violets, wild primroses NOT the cultivated versions primulas etc, ready for next spring

• Reply by CherryPlum

I totally agree with you – I am always amazed whenever I visit garden centres to find no wildlife/pollinators considering the variety/volume of plants there.

• Reply by Irenebill

Iceplant is very easy-going; forget-me-nots and primroses in spring.

• Reply by CherryPlum

Never heard of an Iceplant but will research. I have forget-me-nots but not set to germinate yet. As much as in my head I have an acre garden in reality it is a postage stamp lol

• Reply by Jenny1962

Daphne, mahonia, seedum….

• Reply by CherryPlum

Just planted a Daphne this spring – awaiting its wonders.

• Reply by jakb

Don’t be quick to rush out and mow the dandelions down as they are the bees first kick off of the year in any abundance to get them through uncertain springs like the frosty one we’re having right now.

We have flowers veg fruit bushes fruit trees and rubble dead wood and a general overgrown mess in one corner which attracts the insects.

Somewhere safe for them to feed breed go for a stroll and so on.

We dislike lawns as they are very planet unfriendly largely sterile areas which most people seem to do nothing with other than look at. We have one just large enough for the two of us to sit in and a table for four and the grandchildren can play on the driveway.

The kids get plenty of time love and adventures from us but they aint getting the garden!

We have hedgehogs come and go each year and what a racket they make when mating!

The grandchildren actually love planting and harvesting in our garden .

We’re lucky with wildlife as we get birds of prey bats foxes badgers an assortment of smaller birds dragon flies butterflies and moths and the rivers around here are teeming with life too.

Nearest river a mile away.

I live along the Clwydian mountain range which is stunning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clwydian+range&safe=strict&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB913GB913&sxsrf=ALeKk02KyOuFRJxLiNB7P8FWRhohXlSltw:1619788158127&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=cZu0SzX3JxjWPM2C47z5T9apAc_MlM2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSIz0wZaO1KnH7zLp9nZFHfe8QGZw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii45qOhabwAhXUbsAKHchACdQQ9QF6BAgJEAE

• Reply by CherryPlum

I have dandelions throughout my garden and like you I don’t remove them until they have died back. I agree with management of lawn and tend to leave mine uncut of long periods. I end up cutting it mainly because of annoying dog-walkers who disregards their responsibilities to pick up behind their dogs when they defecate.

• Reply by jakb

Front of house has been turned into driveway for three vehicles back is completely fenced in so no dog problems but cats!
          There just to many of them around here.
          There are wild ones living and breeding on farmland in old sheds and so on.
          Since I’ve been throwing rocks at them not s many are coming over the fence but I find them disgusting creatures.
          The owners never see what they do so think they’re just cuddly and loveable.
          They’re not.
          If a cat cull was announced I’d be cheering it on.

• Reply by CherryPlum

My problem are dog walkers and their dogs NOT cats.

• Reply by JF

Please try hardy geraniums. I love them! There are plants for sun and shade and the bees love them also because the flowers are mostly single blooms and open flowers. There are many plants to choose from, tall and short. Different nurseries stock different varieties. A lot will self seed also if you want more.

• Reply by CherryPlum

Yes, I will try and get some scented geraniums this year.

• Reply by Buds mum

I’ve planted 6 buddlias this year. My garden is intended for wildlife attraction. It’s a bonus that I love it too! Passionate about attracting birds, bees and butterflies.

• Reply by CherryPlum

I was very tempted to have the dwarf buddlias and place them in a pot but so far I haven’t purchased them – still time to do this. I too am passionate about attracting bees, birds and butterflies. I will try and get a picture of the birds enjoying my potting tray that they have commandeered as a bird bath.

• Reply by BridgeBourne

Awaiting a blue dwarf buddleia at the end of May to go with full size white, purple and “black knight”

• Reply by loislane

Just found out this evening that our very own deer has had a little one of its own.
      Should I put out water for it or will they find it.

• Reply by Mysticmo

That sounds a lovely idea. A water feature always attracts the wildlife.

Add