Home Forums General Are you the person you always wanted to be. Yes or...

siandeve15 Posted 2 months ago
Are you the person you always wanted to be. Yes or no doesn’t cut it.
3 likes & 57 replies
    • Terry75 6th June 2022 at 11:01 am

Devilishly handsome, loaded, smart, fit, polite, generous an amazing lover and always considerate, brilliant cook in fact a domestic god if I’m honest oh and lets not forget MODEST. I’m waiting 🤣🤣🤣.

• Chojo 6th June 2022 at 12:10 pm

Honestly I can’t answer that because I’ve never known who I wanted to be.
      I’ve always been the person that people needed me to be at a certain time.

• SH 8th June 2022 at 1:15 pm

Sometimes we don’t always know who we want to be but just being is sometimes enough. You sound like a nice person.

• Lorraine1 6th June 2022 at 12:22 pm

I wanted to be Mrs David Essex. Oh well.

• gruntfuttock 6th June 2022 at 12:38 pm

“Always wanted to be” implies consistency which may be beyond some of us. But we are, or become, what we say to ourselves. I suspect that those messages are strongest when sent in our youth, changes are harder to effect as we age.

• Robert K 6th June 2022 at 1:42 pm

I would say I am the person I expected to be, but perhaps not the person I wanted to be.

• Mad Ralph 6th June 2022 at 1:56 pm

I’m not the person I wanted to be when I was younger. I wanted to be popular, famous even.

Now I’m older I couldn’t think of anything worse, I’m happy being Billy no mates. 😃
      Life is much simpler 👍

• Sue47 6th June 2022 at 5:18 pm

Is anyone? I can only speak for girls but no doubt boys have their own aspirations. At school didn’t we always want to be first to be chosen for the sports team? As teens we wanted to be the most fashionable/most popular, as young parents didn’t we want our children to be first to cut their first tooth/stand/walk etc? And so on through the decades. Are we really satisfied with who we are, or think if we’d just made a bit more effort we could have lost that weight/got a degree as a mature student/made the perfect zen garden? We may dream of a ‘better’ life but should be thankful for what we have achieved. It could be a lot worse, some people are never happy, always wanting more and sadly they’ll run out of time to enjoy what they already have.

• Linpap 6th June 2022 at 5:25 pm

I have always wanted to write and be a successful author suppose there’s still time in fact I have more time on my hands now but lack self discipline, and suspect no one would want to read what I write… but may just do it for my own personal entertainment

• Chojo 6th June 2022 at 5:39 pm

I think a book of your experiences with tradesmen could outsell 50 shades of grey 🤣

• Sue47 6th June 2022 at 5:41 pm

Linpap I have a plaque on my kitchen wall ‘The secret of getting ahead is getting started’. Trouble is I start things but don’t have a sign that says ‘Well done you’ve finished’!

• Linpap 6th June 2022 at 7:39 pm

Haha yes I can relate to that…

• backofbeyond 7th June 2022 at 7:54 pm

It took me over thirty years to write the story I always wanted to tell. I never thought I could write anything longer than a shopping list and it was only the passage of time and desperation that forced me to try. I must have started it fifteen or twenty times over a number of years, binning it every time after I reread the first few pages, and the sense of disgust and self loathing grew with every attempt. Not only did the experience itself go wrong I couldn’t even get it right secondhand on paper. In the end I jumped into the middle, wrote a section that clear in my mind and then worked my way forwards and backwards from there. I never told anyone I was doing it and to this day (10yrs on) none of my family know I’ve written it.

Nobody finishes these things, they just abandon them. That’s why so many books have poor endings.

Since then I’ve gone on to write a number of other books that they do know about. But the end result is the same – they (or anybody else) don’t read them. That’s down to me – I don’t have the confidence in what I’ve done to show them to anyone else (such as a publisher). It’s one thing deluding myself that what I’m scribbling is worth something but quite another to push it into the real world.

That’s the bit that’s the worst aspect of me. I don’t believe in myself. I’d fix it if I could but pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps has always been a difficult trick to pull off and nobody else is bothered.

• Dee.D 8th June 2022 at 9:31 pm

Do it, no one is going to make you share and could be a nice legacy for your family

• Always 6th June 2022 at 7:38 pm

I’ve always wanted to be the best version of me at any given time. I try and be this but often fail probably because I’m my own worst critic. That said there are days when I feel I’ve exceeded my own expectations so I may not be the person I always wanted to be but I’m not disappointed in how I’ve turned out

• TmonT 6th June 2022 at 7:55 pm

I’m loving all the replies I’m still pondering my answer

• Gw 7th June 2022 at 9:05 am

I was thinking only yesterday about my life. Am I the person I always wanted to be? A tough question. I don’t think the answer can be yes or no only yes and no. I always wanted a family and I have two sons. I wanted to be a great mum. My sons would say I am but I feel in a lot of ways I failed them. I always said I would never regret anything in my life and I have stuck to that. I am proud of having worked hard all my life with the result that I am now comfortable in retirement. I have always tried to be as kind as my mother and somebody once called me kind which is the best compliment I could ever receive. So yes I am happy with the person I have been and am now. I think I have survived some very tough times. I just wanted to be slim but I’ve never become the slim person I have always wanted to be. It doesn’t matter.

• Forestbather 7th June 2022 at 9:20 am

I always wanted to be loyal and stand up for what I believe.

I am those things.

The rest of it all went to shit along the way but that’s life.

• Sue Devon 7th June 2022 at 7:57 pm

Wanted to be an astronaut or a spy a child of the 1960’s 🤭

And on a personal level never think about I just happen and have to live with it🤔

Oh I remember also wanting to be a politician, was a union rep at 18, realised how corrupt that was and dished the idea.

• NannaG 8th June 2022 at 9:11 am

I’m the person my parents brought me up to be , kind polite considerate look after and respect the elders .

I think I’m quite happy with my lot !!

As said , enjoy the here and now , don’t waste time on past events , it’s done , go out and feel the wind in your hair , eat ice cream and fish and chips at the seaside even though it’s raining 😊

Look what COVID has done , be grateful you’ve survived

• Lillibelle 8th June 2022 at 11:53 am

I just wish I had more self confidence . Then I could enjoy life a bit more .

I am always so worried about what others may think …
      Not a good trait to have . It’s stopped me doing lots of things and enjoying life to the full .

• Mad Ralph 8th June 2022 at 11:58 am

I can really relate to this.
        It seems the older I’m getting the less I care which is fantastic.
        Like you though it’s held me back in the past. 😔

• Lillibelle 8th June 2022 at 12:20 pm

I know . It’s frustrating isn’t it . Like you I think I am getting slightly better .
      Hope it’s not a case of ‘Too late she screamed ‘ .🙄

• SH 8th June 2022 at 1:20 pm

Not sure I ever thought about who I wanted to be but I’m OK with who I am now. Everyday is a learning curve and the chance to be the best version of ourselves.

• Dee.D 8th June 2022 at 9:46 pm

I have a fulling career. I have a loving family. I have a lovely home. I have some money in the bank, not wealthy but not stoney.
      Every day is a day to be grateful for something no matter how small. But like all humans I have some regrets. I didn’t take the offer of singing lessons for Oprah when I was younger. I have not taken more time out to smell the roses. I have not travelled even more than I have. I did not eat healthy or take sensible exercise. I frequently doubt myself and my abilities. But I am what I am and still looking to the future and whatever it may throw at me

• Caroline of Smoggy land 13th June 2022 at 9:20 pm

Well I’ve not changed the world. I’ll quickly be forgotten about. I hope I’ve been a good friend, neighbour and my relatives will speak kindly me and no one will say, “I’m glad we don’t have to put up with her anymore”

• Cheers on toast 13th June 2022 at 11:11 pm

Takes time, you try to please others far too much that you forget your own pleasures. Live and learn.

• Sue Devon 14th June 2022 at 9:09 am

I’ve never really wanted to be ‘a someone’ else/something, never looked at others and wanted to be like them, so this is a difficult question is there anyone else like me?

If there was, it would probably be my mother. A well balanced, independent, kind and considerate person.

Add