Home Forums TV, Film & Radio Anyone watched the ‘Queens Gambit’?

Kaffie Posted 2 years ago
Anyone watched the ‘Queens Gambit’?

10 likes & 9 replies
    • ArtistJanetMyers 3rd November 2020 at 11:39 pm

Hi, I have just started to watch the Queens Gambit last night.. will watch a bit more tonight.

• Kaffie 4th November 2020 at 6:01 am

Hi , I hope you enjoy the series. I was totally in awe about the game of chess! What a complex game it is. I wished I had learnt how to play it better.. let me know what you think.

• ArtistJanetMyers 4th November 2020 at 12:14 pm

It took me down memory lane.  I knew a lady who lived in Blackheath, Marsha, she had two very gifted children. Both played chess, and especially her son, who could have challenging behavior, would play international chess tournaments.  The daughter became one of the people who moves pieces on a larger viewing board for audience.  Her son played against top masters, and I recall, one year, in the mid 1970’s, she had her son super excited about playing a Russian master.  The two children, especially the son.. were remarkable.. but,  my friend had a very difficult time bringing them up, as her son could have tantrums.. throwing things, shouting, and she would simply run after him and all his needs.
      Chess.. took over their lives.. until.. he found a set of golf clubs on the heath.. and then.. boom!  Golf became the craze.. even representing in the Royal Navy.  I have lost touch with that family over the years.. but.. this took me way down memory lane.. myself being just a teenager and being totally in awe of these Genius chess gurus!
      I thoroughly enjoyed the series and.. it is true to life.. that when we get down.. and something becomes a crutch, like booze/pills.. etc. we have to pick ourself up.  make choices.. do the right thing, for us.  And turn a new page.

• Kaffie 4th November 2020 at 4:56 pm

Glad you enjoyed it.

I have worked with challenging behaviour – young people and some have that remarkable ability to play complex games.. especially those that are in the spectrum. It is an amazing achieve ment as other mundane chores they struggle with.

Are you watching anything else at he moment?

• ArtistJanetMyers 17th November 2020 at 10:50 am

Kaffie, yes.. it is a huge insight working with people on the ‘spectrum’, I have two sons ASP/AS, Utterly talented in some areas above normal and then.. a simple thing to someone else.. becomes a total nightmare and is avoided.  Both in their 20’s and still at home.  They both went deep into music and one computers.    There has been nothing that has grabbed my attention watching.. I did see ‘To the bone’, re eating dis orders, helped me to understand someone I know a bit better.  Even looking like her.  How about you?

• Haley 4th November 2020 at 7:36 pm

Yes…. thought it was surprisingly good…. not a chess player but enjoyed how much chess is a phenomenon… 👍🏼

• NannyBubbles 5th November 2020 at 7:39 am

Loved it!

• Deleted User 17th November 2020 at 9:13 pm

I watched it last week and I thought that is was a well-crafted story.

Add